What happens if you accept two offers (MSW 2015)?

msw_twiga

The issue is that they are in two different cities and... I am still unsure as to where I want to live for two (plus) years, starting in August.  Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I have a frank conversation with one of the schools and ask for understanding?

the only thing you'd lose out on is the deposit to whichever school you don't end up going to (if it has one). I accepted one school and paid the deposit, but now I've been accepted to another. so I may just forfeit the deposit, and go with the other school. they can't really fault you. you won't be penalized. you don't owe them an explanation if you withdraw your name, either. you have the right to do what's best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally feel your pain on this one, Read_books!

I need to give notice on my apartment very soon, have been accepted to four programs, and I could be very happy at any of them, but I'm paralyzed by the lack of info on financial aid. 

Almost wish I had a bookie who could give me the "odds" on which one is most likely to pull through  :rolleyes:

I was in a worse place I really wanted to go to UW and I was admitted for advanced standing to start in June. I was told I won't know if I was awarded any scholarships or a fellowship until May. It's awful we are put in a position to make such a major financial decision with nothing to stand on.  I ended up going to BC they had a lot squared away early and was the first to accept me as well. I am still tempted to put down a Deposit with UW but I already signed a summer lease in Boston and in the process or finding a field placement. 

I feel your pain.

I live in CA, and my top choice is on the other side of the country. They have offered me a Graduate Assistantship, which means in-state tuition and a small stipend in exchange for 8 hours of work per week with a faculty member.

A program in a state near CA has offered me in-state tuition, and  I'm being considered for a fellowship that would cover 70%.

I found out today that the school across the country hasn't actually accepted me into the grad school, even though the dept has admitted me and offered me a fellowship. When I called today to ask if that was just a "formality" they said "no" but that it was unlikely since I was offered the assistantship.

Meanwhile, Financial Aid can't do anything until the Grad school admits me - which could be early May (a full month after dept acceptance). 

It's a little stressful to plan a cross country move when things aren't less nebulous. I have had friends who thought things were going smoothly, and then ran into road bumps with financial aid for a grad program.

Someone on this forum mentioned how "cavalier" schools can be, and I agree 100%.

I'm learning that the acceptance is just one piece of the puzzle.