Decision..Decision... What's yours?

Hi all,

I have been wavering on a decision for quite a few weeks now. I think I'm almost there but I would welcome thoughts/comments on my situation:

I have over 5 years of work experience and a graduate degree already. I applied for Public Policy programs and was accepted at: HKS ($0); Berkeley ($0); Chicago Harris (full tuition); Georgetown ($20k)

Funding is my biggest concern so clearly Chicago comes out top. My only concern is, given my career interests in international policy/development, being in DC I realise presents a significant advantage (even though I'm an international student I understand it is possible to work for international organisations) in terms of part time work/networking the usual stuff. So I'm really confused about what to do. Does going to Georgetown MPP over Chicago's at twice the cost make sense?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be very very welcome. Feel free to post here or direct message me.

Huge thanks.

My two cents: HKS and Chicago Harris are worldwide known as very good MPP programs. Berkeley is also very good but it might not be as well known as HKS or Harris. Georgetown MPP is the least well known. Harris MPP will certainly get you policy jobs in DC, no doubt, even more so than Georgetown MPP because it's more well known. The only advantage to picking Georgetown MPP is the fact that you'd be in DC but a degree from Chicago will overcome that. HKS would've been THE choice but it's your call. I know someone who didn't get any funding when accepted to HKS but got a full ride once some funds opened up later. Call and see if they can help you. 

My two cents: HKS and Chicago Harris are worldwide known as very good MPP programs. Berkeley is also very good but it might not be as well known as HKS or Harris. Georgetown MPP is the least well known. Harris MPP will certainly get you policy jobs in DC, no doubt, even more so than Georgetown MPP because it's more well known. The only advantage to picking Georgetown MPP is the fact that you'd be in DC but a degree from Chicago will overcome that. HKS would've been THE choice but it's your call. I know someone who didn't get any funding when accepted to HKS but got a full ride once some funds opened up later. Call and see if they can help you.

Thank you that is a very useful perspective; and, in fact, echoed what a university professor just said to me as well about Chicago being well placed to get a policy job in DC.

I guess the biggest draw for Georgetown was the DC location. But if the program is not well known on a global scale that might be a short term way of looking at this as ultimately id like my degree to be seen favourably globally.

I'll try ringing HKS on Monday if you think that would be helpful - although I'm not too optimistic on it.

Thank you very much to you and others who commented! I truly appreciate it.

Thank you that is a very useful perspective; and, in fact, echoed what a university professor just said to me as well about Chicago being well placed to get a policy job in DC.

I guess the biggest draw for Georgetown was the DC location. But if the program is not well known on a global scale that might be a short term way of looking at this as ultimately id like my degree to be seen favourably globally.

I'll try ringing HKS on Monday if you think that would be helpful - although I'm not too optimistic on it.

Thank you very much to you and others who commented! I truly appreciate it.

It seems that you are from Pakistan and in Pakistan brand name matters a lot. Even sometimes they don't even consider your degree. They will look more favourably towards your HKS or Chicago degree,if you decide to come back and work here in Pakistan. 

Now Georgetown has upped their offer to $30k, while Chicago's is full tuition ($44k). Of course HKS was my first choice but at a full cost of $150k (including living health etc costs) it seems totally unaffordable.

I'm not American, but I'm interested in part time work/internships with an international organisation. I just thought being in DC would give an edge over being in Chicago. But yes I am conscious the Chicago brand/training is stronger.

Good luck @economixed! I'm from Pakistan - haven't received any funding but will be deferring my decision. I'd say, though my assessment is limited to my own experience, base the decision on what you want out of the 2 years and the degree. If you're looking purely in terms of the post degree job potential, and from a returns on investment point of view, then yes Georgetown and Harris might be worth it. I however wouldn't turn down HKS, because for me a great attraction that HKS offers is the ability to take courses in the Divinity School .. and that is something that can't be quantified. 

Thank you everyone for your advice and counsel. I read each comment and I think I can safely say that each had an impact on my thinking and on decision making. After having spoken to people in and out of programs, I think I'm going to go with Chicago Harris. Yes it won't have access to DC networking but I think in the longer-term the rigour of quant training and the University's reputation both within the US and globally will provide a strong foundation to build on. Georgetown offered much of the same, but on the balance (given that I will have to borrow to fund any living costs) it doesn't make sense to choose Georgetown over Chicago when I have to pay more for the former.

@paxi I would have loved to go to HKS but I don't expect the funding situation to be any better next year - unless I win the lottery! So I don't see much point in deferring and delaying everything by a year.

Thank you everyone for weighing in on this and good luck with your own decisions.

Thank you everyone for your advice and counsel. I read each comment and I think I can safely say that each had an impact on my thinking and on decision making. After having spoken to people in and out of programs, I think I'm going to go with Chicago Harris. Yes it won't have access to DC networking but I think in the longer-term the rigour of quant training and the University's reputation both within the US and globally will provide a strong foundation to build on. Georgetown offered much of the same, but on the balance (given that I will have to borrow to fund any living costs) it doesn't make sense to choose Georgetown over Chicago when I have to pay more for the former.

@paxi I would have loved to go to HKS but I don't expect the funding situation to be any better next year - unless I win the lottery! So I don't see much point in deferring and delaying everything by a year.

Thank you everyone for weighing in on this and good luck with your own decisions.

You could just win the lottery actually, who knows?

Seriously now, IMO, you shouldn't base your decision on money (yeah, I know, money is important . but I'm telling you this from my gut and I grew up third world poor - I am still poor actually :) )

YET, I won't base any decision on money because at the end of the day, money does not buy happiness (even if it's more confortable to cry in a frontbeach villa in Hawaï than in a studio in Harlem)

What was your dream school when you started your application journey? I'll recommend to stick to that. And listen to the voice inside of you (Now DON'T tell me there is no voice inside of you, I'll get angry ggggrrrrrr (just kidding - I assume being dinged from HKS drove me crazy).

When you look at the ocean, you don't question whether it is big or not. You just know it is. So for your choices of school, it's the same. Pick the one you don't question about.

Is your dream school worth the 150K + investment ? My answer would be yes, because that was your dream school.

I'm an international student and if it took me 1 million in debt to go to HKS, I would (oh ... wait a minute, would I?) because that's my dream and this dream happens to be a school that gives undeniable credentials and open many doors in my continent.

You're also an international student, so I assume you know how HKS shines big time (not to say that Chicago and Georgetown are not worth it, but i can tell you that almost all congoleze citizens know about Harvard).

But that's easier for me to say because I don't have kids yet, I could go to HKS and eat pasta all year long that I would still be happy for the opportunity to live my (VERY) expensive dream. Maybe if you have bills to pay and if you raise a family while you study, that's different.

Hope my fifty (crazy) cents helped!

Good luck @economixed! I'm from Pakistan - haven't received any funding but will be deferring my decision. I'd say, though my assessment is limited to my own experience, base the decision on what you want out of the 2 years and the degree. If you're looking purely in terms of the post degree job potential, and from a returns on investment point of view, then yes Georgetown and Harris might be worth it. I however wouldn't turn down HKS, because for me a great attraction that HKS offers is the ability to take courses in the Divinity School .. and that is something that can't be quantified. 

Paxi! same boat here. No school can beat the cross-registration with the divinity school;

You could just win the lottery actually, who knows?

Seriously now, IMO, you shouldn't base your decision on money (yeah, I know, money is important . but I'm telling you this from my gut and I grew up third world poor - I am still poor actually :) )

YET, I won't base any decision on money because at the end of the day, money does not buy happiness (even if it's more confortable to cry in a frontbeach villa in Hawaï than in a studio in Harlem)

What was your dream school when you started your application journey? I'll recommend to stick to that. And listen to the voice inside of you (Now DON'T tell me there is no voice inside of you, I'll get angry ggggrrrrrr (just kidding - I assume being dinged from HKS drove me crazy).

When you look at the ocean, you don't question whether it is big or not. You just know it is. So for your choices of school, it's the same. Pick the one you don't question about.

Is your dream school worth the 150K + investment ? My answer would be yes, because that was your dream school.

I'm an international student and if it took me 1 million in debt to go to HKS, I would (oh ... wait a minute, would I?) because that's my dream and this dream happens to be a school that gives undeniable credentials and open many doors in my continent.

You're also an international student, so I assume you know how HKS shines big time (not to say that Chicago and Georgetown are not worth it, but i can tell you that almost all congoleze citizens know about Harvard).

But that's easier for me to say because I don't have kids yet, I could go to HKS and eat pasta all year long that I would still be happy for the opportunity to live my (VERY) expensive dream. Maybe if you have bills to pay and if you raise a family while you study, that's different.

Hope my fifty (crazy) cents helped!

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions. Yes, when I set out applying HKS was my top choice and still would be if I was offered any funding to make it work. I think HKS deserves a premium but I don't think a 150k one is something I can afford. I don't have a family but I'd rather not get that deep in to debt in USD which would probably take me a very long time to repay.

I suppose in a world where practicalities don't matter I would choose HKS. But the reality is they do. Getting into HKS has been an achievement and I'm proud of it. But im not sure if drowning in debt would make me happier. So essentially I'm looking for a balance between a quality education, a strong brand, minimise debt. Given my offers, that to me sounds like Chicago.

Hi all,

I have been wavering on a decision for quite a few weeks now. I think I'm almost there but I would welcome thoughts/comments on my situation:

I have over 5 years of work experience and a graduate degree already. I applied for Public Policy programs and was accepted at: HKS ($0); Berkeley ($0); Chicago Harris (full tuition); Georgetown ($20k)

Funding is my biggest concern so clearly Chicago comes out top. My only concern is, given my career interests in international policy/development, being in DC I realise presents a significant advantage (even though I'm an international student I understand it is possible to work for international organisations) in terms of part time work/networking the usual stuff. So I'm really confused about what to do. Does going to Georgetown MPP over Chicago's at twice the cost make sense?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be very very welcome. Feel free to post here or direct message me.

Huge thanks.

I would go back to Georgetown and negotiate for more funding, esp since you have full tuition scholarship for Harris.  

I am also an international student and being in DC is extremely advantageous when you are trying to get a job as an international.  You will be able to network and get consultancies, etc. with international orgs like the world bank, etc.

Struggling with a tough decision between GSPP and HKS MPP. No funding has been provided for either. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate being able to hear it.

What kind of policy work do you aim to go into? Have you compared faculty, research centers, course options that are available and of interest to you? Would the cost of living of Cambridge/Boston vs. the Bay Area impact you differently?

I feel as if this website has been shared on this subforum before, but I've found it very helpful when comparing the curricula of many top-ranked MPA/MPP programs.

What kind of policy work do you aim to go into? Have you compared faculty, research centers, course options that are available and of interest to you? Would the cost of living of Cambridge/Boston vs. the Bay Area impact you differently?

I feel as if this website has been shared on this subforum before, but I've found it very helpful when comparing the curricula of many top-ranked MPA/MPP programs.

Awesome, that website is super interesting. I'm planning on going back to my home state of Ohio and doing state-level policy advocacy there. Just trying to get as much perspective as I can.

My decision has basically come down to Duke Sanford MPP and UWashington Evans MPA.

Duke gave me $16k fellowship + $4k assistantship (their lowest award from my understanding)

Evans gave me in-state tuition and a $750/month stipend

I want to ultimately work at a large environmental NGO, preferably on the was coast but that's not a deal breaker. WHAT TO DO?!

My decision has basically come down to Duke Sanford MPP and UWashington Evans MPA.

Duke gave me $16k fellowship + $4k assistantship (their lowest award from my understanding)

Evans gave me in-state tuition and a $750/month stipend

I want to ultimately work at a large environmental NGO, preferably on the was coast but that's not a deal breaker. WHAT TO DO?!

I went to New Admit Day at UW, and it sounds like their graduate research assistants receive tuition waivers as long as they're working a certain number of hours per quarter. It also seemed like there are plenty of RA opportunities across the university, which is a big help financially. 

Additionally, they hosted a panel with current students, and one woman said she had placed deposits down at both American and UW before deciding to go to UW. You could always do this if you need more time to make a decision.

I went to New Admit Day at UW, and it sounds like their graduate research assistants receive tuition waivers as long as they're working a certain number of hours per quarter. It also seemed like there are plenty of RA opportunities across the university, which is a big help financially. 

Additionally, they hosted a panel with current students, and one woman said she had placed deposits down at both American and UW before deciding to go to UW. You could always do this if you need more time to make a decision.

I'd be wary of putting down more than one deposit -- a lot of these schools are operating on good faith and you're typically agreeing when you put down your deposit NOT to do the same at another school. Not to mention the implications this has for folks on the wait list. 

Struggling with a tough decision between GSPP and HKS MPP. No funding has been provided for either. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate being able to hear it.

I'm in the same boat. Although, to be honest, I'm more 70/30 towards Berkeley. I think that's where my heart is at.

My personal opinion: I attended both admit days and they had very different "feels" to them. Berkeley is a small cohort and their whole thing about being a tight-knit community is real deal. Harvard is about the prestige and the connections. A higher percentage of folks are doing joint degrees, primarily with HBS, and it seems like a lot of them are looking to get into consulting positions. 

What helped me tilt the scale was determining what I did not want to do and the quality of life I want to lead during what will be two very stressful, but engaging, years of my life. 

NOT interested in international development, federal level policies or working in DC/running for office

YES interested in multidisciplinary research with professors, community-development work, developing strong quantitative skills and sunshine

I live in NYC now and Boston would be a bit of a downgrade for me in terms of city attractions. The bay area is a more lateral move. 

I'm in the same boat. Although, to be honest, I'm more 70/30 towards Berkeley. I think that's where my heart is at.

My personal opinion: I attended both admit days and they had very different "feels" to them. Berkeley is a small cohort and their whole thing about being a tight-knit community is real deal. Harvard is about the prestige and the connections. A higher percentage of folks are doing joint degrees, primarily with HBS, and it seems like a lot of them are looking to get into consulting positions. 

What helped me tilt the scale was determining what I did not want to do and the quality of life I want to lead during what will be two very stressful, but engaging, years of my life. 

NOT interested in international development, federal level policies or working in DC/running for office

YES interested in multidisciplinary research with professors, community-development work, developing strong quantitative skills and sunshine

I live in NYC now and Boston would be a bit of a downgrade for me in terms of city attractions. The bay area is a more lateral move. 

Thank you, this is helpful. I missed both new admit days (price, time, distance, etc.) but I've been agonizing over the choice. I see the prestige and everyone I talk to have a reaction to Harvard, but it just seems like the environment at Berkeley is more intimate, it'll be a lot more affordable, and the quality of education will be excellent. I, like you, am also drawn to the community of Berkeley. Cambridge seems cool, but Berkeley seems like a real special city that is doing some fascinating municipal stuff that I'd be interested in following.

I'm with you in saying I'm more interested in community development (local and state) rather than international or federal, but I could see myself running for office someday, and that gives me pause. But seriously, it seems like the number of people who are in office who attended ivy leagues are probably a corollary rather than an effect of an ivy league degree: people with the motivation and wits to get into an ivy league are likely to succeed in electoral politics. And when it comes down to it, I'd be shocked if most voters factor in educational institution in their voting decisions. I can't tell you where the governor of the state I live in went to school, and I work in state politics!

So yeah, there are my thoughts. Any more perspective would be greatly appreciated!

I still have not decided yet. Hopefully somebody can weigh in with some advice!

I'm deciding between Korbel (No funding) and Penn State SIA ($20,500 plus RAs). I would have help from my family to attend either school. If I decide on Korbel, I'm estimating to be in at least 50k debt. If I go to Penn State, it would be around 15k in debt. I love Colorado and would enjoy my time in Denver. While I'm not too fond of the area Penn State is located, its close to Philly, NYC, and DC.

Obviously Korbel has the more prestigious program, but Penn State seems to be good as well. The faculty is impressive and students have landed good jobs after graduation. Being relatively debt free would give me the freedom to choose a lower paying job if it interests me, travel, etc. It boils down to paying a high price for a known product or taking a discount on an lower (but promising) program.

• 3 years later...

Hi Petri,

I know your post is a few years old but I am hoping you will respond to me! I am going through your EXACT situation. Korbel (no funding) and Penn State ($20k). I was accepted for Korbel's MA in International Security and Penn State's MA in International Affairs. I CANNOT DECIDE and the deadline is approaching. I understand that Korbel may have more connections and a better program, but it is more expensive. 

Can you please tell me what you decided on and if you were happy with the decision?

Thank you!

On 4/14/2015 at 12:07 AM, economixed_policy said:

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions. Yes, when I set out applying HKS was my top choice and still would be if I was offered any funding to make it work. I think HKS deserves a premium but I don't think a 150k one is something I can afford. I don't have a family but I'd rather not get that deep in to debt in USD which would probably take me a very long time to repay.

I suppose in a world where practicalities don't matter I would choose HKS. But the reality is they do. Getting into HKS has been an achievement and I'm proud of it. But im not sure if drowning in debt would make me happier. So essentially I'm looking for a balance between a quality education, a strong brand, minimise debt. Given my offers, that to me sounds like Chicago.

Thank you for this. This helps me decide between Fletcher MALD ($$) and SAIS MA. -- I am proud of being accepted to SAIS, but Fletcher valued me more with their $24k scholarship. My dream school was SAIS DC but I cannot afford $160k!