NYU funding

afg500

you will quickly see how fast money flies in NYC.  Depending on where you live, the average 1 bedroom is about 1000-1200 dollars a month. studios a good 800-900 (out of city in brooklyn/queens of course).

Food is amazingly expensive. You can literally spend 100 on groceries and be like "What did I buy?" But yes, NYU offers an amazing package and 26k is enough to make it. Allot about half (13k) to rent, utilities, and other bills.

Depends alot on the housing rent ... There are shared places which you can get for ~$600 at minimum, and then you can get 1 bedrooms from 1200 and onwards... 2600 means a little over 2000 per month... So yes 26k can work. You might even be able to save a couple of hundred if you spend wisely.

It can work, you just may have to live far outside the NYU area. In the past few years since the recession, outer borroughs have been rapidly gentrifying and rents are skyrocketing in formally cheap areas.  Honestly, most of the situations I know of under $700 are pretty dismal with many roommates and windowless rooms. Could be out of date, as I left the city two years ago.

Also factor in a monthly metro card ($125 now?) and the inevitable entertainment temptations NYC has to offer. 

• 3 weeks later...

you will quickly see how fast money flies in NYC.  Depending on where you live, the average 1 bedroom is about 1000-1200 dollars a month. studios a good 800-900 (out of city in brooklyn/queens of course).

Food is amazingly expensive. You can literally spend 100 on groceries and be like "What did I buy?" But yes, NYU offers an amazing package and 26k is enough to make it. Allot about half (13k) to rent, utilities, and other bills.

Sorry, FeministCorgi, but it's hard to find a room in a shared house for less than $800-900, and studios under $1200 are definitely a rare find - you'll definitely be in Harlem or further north, or south of Crown Heights, deep Bushwick or Jackson Heights - all at least a 40 minute commute from NYU. That said, I do think you can survive on 26k - I've budgeted $2000/month in NYC and found I can live pretty comfortably on that. But you definitely won't be living alone. 

Are you a MacCracken fellow?  If so, you may be able to get MacCracken housing for your first year.  I am going to NYU too.

I dont think so, I am an international student so I don't know whether I would be eligible. What is it about?

Congrats on NYU! Are you going to steinhardt too?