GRE scores for English programs

Damerflinn

Statement:

So I took the GRE a while ago and was happy with my V:166 Q:153 since I'm looking into English programs.

Then my writing score came and was a... 4.0?

This has aggravated me to the point of not wanting to ever pay for a GRE again.

Complaint:

For prep, I took the two practice exams and just wrote the essays like I would any other, but I have recently been informed of certain things which are not acceptable within the essay (like questioning the argument's "facts").

I guess I'm unhappy with how these essays are scored. It seems it's where they can force you to conform to their testing practices. If you don't need to practice vocab or (in other people's cases) math, they can still see your lack of practice of their testing premises within your writing. The other sections are just right or wrong answers.

Conclusion:

I'll probably retake it, knowing what I know now about how the essay grading is done. Just wanted to complain about it and seek commiseration/ wise advice on where to find good practice stuff for the writing section.

Thanks