Group interviews!?

mckparis

I received an invite to a group interview for a master's program and I am beyond terrified! Does anyone know from experience how group interviews go? What kind of questions do they ask? And does this mean I have more competition going into the interview? I'm so scared to be interviewed next to my competition!  :unsure:

I had a group interview last week. My group interview was a little different. The interviewers gave the group a case study to read and consult on for 25 minutes. They did not ask us any questions but did want to see how we worked in a group. It was important for each one of us to stand out as individuals and make our points heard but be sure not to over power/over talk anyone. My program is for mental health counseling so maybe that had something to do with the way they conducted the group interview... At the end of the day the person next to you is just as nervous, if not more nervous. I would not worry about your competition because you have to focus on selling yourself. Think of it as you looked good on paper, now the department wants to meet you and get to know your personality. You will do fine. I was freaking out similarly to you, but you got this. Good Luck! :)

I had an interview day that was composed of ALL group interviews. Prepare to feel belittled and threatened by competition. That was the biggest thing for me. I think ignorance is bliss when it comes to not knowing your exact competition and their qualifications. It was nerve wracking to be sitting in a group with 4 other students while being interviewed. I personally do not like group interviews. They seem so impersonal and rushed since other people need time to respond too. One upside to it is that you have time to formulate responses while others are talking.

I didn't have a tour. We had our group interview, writing sample and then the individual interview all within a 3 hour time span. The individual interview was the most intense for me. Did you have your interview yet? I hope it goes well if you haven't. As far as ignorance being bliss for not knowing your competition, sometimes knowing who your competition is before hand is impossible. But it's always good to try and do your research from past semesters to try and see what you are up against.

I didn't have a tour. We had our group interview, writing sample and then the individual interview all within a 3 hour time span. The individual interview was the most intense for me. Did you have your interview yet? I hope it goes well if you haven't. As far as ignorance being bliss for not knowing your competition, sometimes knowing who your competition is before hand is impossible. But it's always good to try and do your research from past semesters to try and see what you are up against.

No, I actually have my interview tomorrow! Your advice has really helped my nerves but I'm still nervous about the individual interview. I can just picture myself having a meltdown :rolleyes: . In terms of meeting my competition, I really would rather not know who I'm up against, like how nerve-racking. But I'm still happy to at least have the opportunity to get into the program! I really like the program, so I'll suck it up!

Edited by mckparis