No Acceptance

Maybe you could look into the teach for nyc scholarship or look into applying to graduate assistant positions at some of the private schools for the next time to make it more affordable that way you can have more options!

Maybe you could look into the teach for nyc scholarship or look into applying to graduate assistant positions at some of the private schools for the next time to make it more affordable that way you can have more options!

Thanks for the suggestions...

I currently work for a hospital and I want to transition to their SLP department. It appears to be the grad assistant position go to people with perfect scores. I would love to get one but I am doubtful.

There are very few, but some grad programs that have spring and summer admissions. I can't find my Spring admittance list :/ but, I have some for summer...

Summer:

Florida State- deadline 11/15

University of Wisconsn Eau Claire-11/1

University of South Carolina-1/1

University of Southern Mississippi-2/2

University of Kentucky-2/1

University of Central Oklahoma-2/1

I think I'm going to aim for University of Wisconsin. I like their program set up.

The two that I know are accept students in the Spring are:

Eastern New Mexico University (Hybrid program, 4 months on campus, rest Online)

University of South Dakota

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I'm really sorry to hear about the lack of acceptances.  I haven't applied yet so sorry if this post is not helpful.  

I just wanted to say the two schools you applied to have a 12-13% acceptance rate.  That is some rough competition, I don't think many people can boast being accepted with that low of a percentage without some really good stats/connections at the schools.  I just want to say (if it helps) maybe it was just down to the numbers this time.

If you are able, maybe next cycle you could apply to schools with a 40% or higher acceptance rate?  Maybe more school's as well.  I know it's really expensive to apply and to move but if you are passionate enough to take that GRE a 4th time this might make your odds better.  Anyway good luck, and try not to beat yourself up over a 13% chance those are some pretty tough odds.

Do you know which schools have a 40% or higher acceptance rate?

In addition to retaking the GRE, you might really want to take a look at your SOP. I'm an older student, already have a master's, and couldn't move, so I understand your predicament.  My grades and GRE were all in the range for the schools to which I applied but I think what really got me accepted was my SOP. I did a TON of research on each school so really personalized the letters based on their programs. For example, one schools runs an autism camp in the summer. They don't list it anywhere on their SLP department page.  During my research I noticed that one of the special ed school districts that participates in the camp mentioned it in their parent letter. I wouldn't have found it except that I was doing research on each professor in each program to find something unique to say in my letters. The professors name was the contact in the parent letter. In my essay for that school I wrote about my interest in the camp and tied that into a personal interest and experience with autism. (Side note: the autism society regularly offers free workshops/conferences. You may want to attend a few to add to your resume.) 

Also, look for ANY way your current experience lends itself to the field. If you're in a hospital, start making friends with all the SLPs and they will give you tips about the schools, the job, etc. I asked all my friends if they knew any SLPs they could put my in contact with and then I emailed all those SLPs for tips and for any contacts who graduated from schools to which I was applying. It was three to four degrees of separation between me and some of the people who I emailed, but I found out some great info and used all of that in my essays. 

I knew that the competition was tough and being non-traditional with online leveling I felt I was be a pretty average applicant. My research may have been a bit over the top, but I thought the essay was one of the few ways I could stand out in this crowded field. 

There are some schools in the Midwest if you look on Ed find you can compute which schools have those numbers. Each year the number fluctuates though so it is always best to call and check. Since a school that was 30% last year may have gone up or a school that was 50% May go down. Look in Ohio, Idaho, Michigan, Montclair in New Jersey, South Carolina, Arkansas etc. Lousiana.

• 6 months later...

I would recommend looking for ways your current experience relates to your field and putting that into your applications and resume. Keep looking through forums and discussions for tips and information about schools, and use your network! Friends, family, classmates, and professors can all lend a helping hand. 

If you are looking for more ways to stand out, there's a great article here, http://www.vidcruiter.com/blog/2013/06/27/tips-on-how-to-write-a-winning-resume/ , that relates more to a resume, but can definitely lend itself to applications and reaching out to schools. 

Hopefully that helps!