Decision time: UW and UChicago

Hi everyone! I'm looking for any input anyone may have as I make a decision about what school to attend. I've been accepted at Boston University, Columbia University, University of Chicago, and University of Washington. I'm leaning towards UW or UChicago at this point but am having a hard time deciding between the two. I love social work, but don't have incredibly clear immediate career goals. I hope to eventually go on to pursue a PhD in social work with the goal of working at a university, but plan to work in the field for at least a few years after my MSW. I'm very drawn towards both clinical and policy work and ideally would love a job doing a little of both. Also, I'm not sure whether I plan to try to get licensed and if so what state I'd be trying to get licensed in. I hope to get a little clearer on my career goals during my first year of the program so I make sure I pick the right concentration. The environment and experience of living in the city is about equally important as the program is to me. I love outdoor activities and working out.

BU, UW, and UChicago will all cost me about the same amount of money once scholarships are factored in (a huge amount in loans). Columbia would cost me about 3/4 of the cost of the other 3 as I'd be going advanced standing there rather than the full program.

The two I'm leaning towards....

University of Chicago:

- I've never been to Chicago, so know nothing about the actual city other than it's COLD! I'm visiting in a couple weeks.

- Plan to do the clinical track. Was drawn to this school because of they appear to emphasize the macro side even within their clinical program.

- A con: in the middle of nowhere geographically. I'm used to being able to drive to several major cities in less than 5 hours, take the train or bus up and down the coast easily, etc.

University of Washington

- Used to live near Seattle. I love the area and could see myself living there. I like how close it is to Portland and Vancouver. I also like the campus feel the school seems to have.

- Have no idea which concentration I plan to pick. Four out of six appeal to me but none really stands out.

- A con: weird relatives in the area that would require me to set very clear boundaries and likely cause some amount of extra hassle/stress.

So, anyone have any info about these schools they'd like to share? If you have ever lived in either of these cities, have reasons you picked (or didn't pick) either of these schools, or general advice about picking an MSW program with the goal of eventually getting a PhD in mind, I'd particularly love your input :)

Prestige doesn't matter all that much. I was recruited to several PhD programs from an MSW program that's ranked about 123. Got a fellowship, too, and offered an RA on top of that.

Things I would consider if you want to do a PhD.  Research and debt.  First, if you want to do a PhD program you will need research experience either during your MSW or afterward.  Where can you get that? Who has a strong research program? PhD programs won't care that your clinical background is strong if you have no demonstrated research interest or aptitude.  Second, PhD programs have been known to put people into over $100,000 in debt, and you won't make any more money as an assistant professor than you would have as an LMSW.  So don't compound that with MORE debt from your MSW.

So, yeah, I went to a somewhat unprestigious school (because my husband had a good job in-state), but at my school, I got independent research experience, teaching experience, and my second year paid for (tuition waiver, 60% health insurance, plus $1200/mo stipend) by working on a half-time appointment graduate assistantship --- which coincidentally also provided me with a very, very strong LOR. So I would look at opportunities that will help you in a PhD if you think that's what you want to do.

Just some things to consider.

Edited by pippapants

Thanks your your responses! Surprisingly, it's not looking like money is going to be a deciding factor for me. The cost of both is about the same considering financial aid I was offered and the fact that I'll be attending out of state.

I will definitely be looking for opportunities for research experience. I did apply for a research assistantship at UW but won't hear back until May. They also said there are only 2 available spots for the entire incoming class I think, so I'm definitely not counting on that.

That's unfortunate that there are so few RAs available. Our school only has a few as well (but several administrative GAs and teaching focused GAs, too), but with less than 50 students in our entire program, it's not that hard to get one if you are motivated.

There are other ways to get research experience beyond an RA. Our university requires each graduate level student to complete some sort of thesis or capstone project as a graduate requirement. The social work program requires independent research, so everyone's capstone is a small independent research project. I chose to the more substantial thesis option to fulfill that requirement. So check on things like that.