Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

As the semester comes closer to an end, I'd be glad to look at some statements for ETA applicants.

I'd be happy to help with reading statements and giving general advice for ETAs as well! :)

I'm planning to apply for the research grant in Spain!

Currently working to come up with a plan for research so that I can get moving on my letter of affiliation.

Well here we go again!!!!!! two years in a row, selected as an alternate for a Fulbright Scholar.. I will resubmit exactly as last year, but will add a line how this is my third time applying and two previous years I was selected as an alternate. Scholar is tough, they select one, maybe two.. so we'll see this year. 

Hey all! I posted this originally on the 2014-15 Fulbright thread and was re-directed here. I'm debating applying for a UK Fulbright. I applied last year during my senior year and was a finalist. This year, I started an MA/PhD program. While I will be completing an MA along the way, it is a very general MA that is not focused specifically on what I will do my dissertation on (British Empire, Trauma, and Violence). However, I found an amazing MA in the UK that would supplement my course work and give me unmatched research opportunities. Since i have to write an MA thesis for it, I figured that would help with conceptualizing my dissertation. 

Online, it says that bachelor, MA, and PhD applicants can apply (unless I'm misreading it). My main concern is trying to tell my advisor that I want to do a second, more focused MA. For my field, we don't have many research funded opportunities, at least not for international stuff and I'd like to complete more coursework. But I'm also wondering if I should just give up on this dream. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I am considering re-applying this year. I just recently made it as a Finalist to Kenya but ultimately wasn't awarded the grant (3rd time applying second time finalist). My focus was on elephant conservation work. I'm not sure if I should A. re-apply to Kenya again and use the same application, or B. Apply to a neighboring country using the skeleton of my past proposal only adapting it to fit similar elephant/rhino conservation issues .. or completely start from scratch and focus on a second idea..researching and documenting mobilizing healthcare workers via motorcycles/motorcycle ambulance work. 

I worked so hard, and really believe in my past proposal and I don't want to drop it. But I'm scared because the Kenya U.S embassy had multiple articles on their website supporting elephant conservation, and wildlife support and they still didn't pick my proposal. ( I honestly don't even know if I could put together a better one than I did last year personally ) 

I feel like I had a solid proposal.. and at this point I feel like I'm navigating unseen politics or something that I can't control no matter how great of a proposal I have. So do I start from scratch and go through the hard work again building from the ground up ? do I adapt my proposal ? Either way I would be applying to an east African region again most likely. 

Any input would be awesome.. :/ If anyone would be interested in reading my past proposal and giving me any feed back please message me and I will send you an email ! 

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I am considering re-applying this year. I just recently made it as a Finalist to Kenya but ultimately wasn't awarded the grant (3rd time applying second time finalist). My focus was on elephant conservation work. I'm not sure if I should A. re-apply to Kenya again and use the same application, or B. Apply to a neighboring country using the skeleton of my past proposal only adapting it to fit similar elephant/rhino conservation issues .. or completely start from scratch and focus on a second idea..researching and documenting mobilizing healthcare workers via motorcycles/motorcycle ambulance work. 

I worked so hard, and really believe in my past proposal and I don't want to drop it. But I'm scared because the Kenya U.S embassy had multiple articles on their website supporting elephant conservation, and wildlife support and they still didn't pick my proposal. ( I honestly don't even know if I could put together a better one than I did last year personally ) 

I feel like I had a solid proposal.. and at this point I feel like I'm navigating unseen politics or something that I can't control no matter how great of a proposal I have. So do I start from scratch and go through the hard work again building from the ground up ? do I adapt my proposal ? Either way I would be applying to an east African region again most likely. 

Any input would be awesome.. :/ If anyone would be interested in reading my past proposal and giving me any feed back please message me and I will send you an email ! 

My advice (thought I'm not an Africa person) is that if you've been selected as a finalist twice and still not selected using your current proposal, it's time to run some tweaks. If you're really passionate about your idea, certainly don't abandon it and switch your topic entirely (especially if you're venturing into an area that's not your expertise). I would say do the following:

1. Reassess your proposal and look what literature is out there about what you hope to accomplish and find what gaps exist. Kenya already has multiple successful conservation programs in place and many, many people who want to save elephants. What will your project add to enhance what they have? Or what new angle can you bring? 

2. Reapply to a country with less successful conversation programs using your same application. As I'm sure you know, some countries (Zimbabwe comes to mind) where hunting is stressed more than conservation or conservation isn't quite as well developed.

So kind of the opposite of what you said. 

My advice (thought I'm not an Africa person) is that if you've been selected as a finalist twice and still not selected using your current proposal, it's time to run some tweaks. If you're really passionate about your idea, certainly don't abandon it and switch your topic entirely (especially if you're venturing into an area that's not your expertise). I would say do the following:

1. Reassess your proposal and look what literature is out there about what you hope to accomplish and find what gaps exist. Kenya already has multiple successful conservation programs in place and many, many people who want to save elephants. What will your project add to enhance what they have? Or what new angle can you bring? 

2. Reapply to a country with less successful conversation programs using your same application. As I'm sure you know, some countries (Zimbabwe comes to mind) where hunting is stressed more than conservation or conservation isn't quite as well developed.

So kind of the opposite of what you said. 

I guess I should have made it a little more clear this is the first time I've applied to Kenya with this specific application. The other two were different :( 

But you do make a good point when you say  " many people who want to save elephants. What will your project add to enhance what they have? Or what new angle can you bring?" I think this could have been the down fall. 

Thank you ! your feedback is helpful ! 

I guess I should have made it a little more clear this is the first time I've applied to Kenya with this specific application. The other two were different :( 

But you do make a good point when you say  " many people who want to save elephants. What will your project add to enhance what they have? Or what new angle can you bring?" I think this could have been the down fall. 

Thank you ! your feedback is helpful ! 

Heck, if you'd like I'll take a peak at your proposal and see what advice I can offer. 

The Fulbright process is an odd one, I have applied the past two years under the scholar program (been working 5 years past graduate school) and have been selected twice as an alternate. Last year, I looked at the proposal selected (they only selected one) and it was a basic idea, nothing too impressive. I spoke with Fulbright and here is what I was told.  You could have the best idea, the most thorough proposal, but in the end it comes to fresh idea much of the time. The proposal selected last year had not been done ever, thus it was selected. My proposal idea (intelligence) was done is another form two years prior. Though, they said if your proposal is making it this far, it reads well. Resubmit with a tweek here and there.   One thing they told me, is to  make mention if this being your 3rd time applying, as Fulbright is big on tenacity and determination. 

The Fulbright process is an odd one, I have applied the past two years under the scholar program (been working 5 years past graduate school) and have been selected twice as an alternate. Last year, I looked at the proposal selected (they only selected one) and it was a basic idea, nothing too impressive. I spoke with Fulbright and here is what I was told.  You could have the best idea, the most thorough proposal, but in the end it comes to fresh idea much of the time. The proposal selected last year had not been done ever, thus it was selected. My proposal idea (intelligence) was done is another form two years prior. Though, they said if your proposal is making it this far, it reads well. Resubmit with a tweek here and there.   One thing they told me, is to  make mention if this being your 3rd time applying, as Fulbright is big on tenacity and determination. 

This is good to know ! I agree and so far the input from many people has been that "this is already being done, or has been done before".  I'm so crazy thankful for this forum. I was the only person to apply through my University last year, and this year I don't think they will even have an FPA. So I'm thankful for everyone who has offered so much advice. 

Bluefit .. how did you decided where what tweeks to make ? 

Any input would be awesome.. :/ If anyone would be interested in reading my past proposal and giving me any feed back please message me and I will send you an emailF

First, let me volunteer to look at your proposal and give you my two cents. I lived in Kenya and I have some familiarity with the work of the Kenyan Wildlife Service and its partners. As has already been pointed out, there's a great deal of conservation that takes place in Kenya. Tourism is a lifeline in Kenya and they have been putting in a lot of effort to ensuring that national parks are protected. It's such a shame that terrorists and poachers are creating chaos in that country these days. 

If you feel strongly about your project, then one option is to try other countries in the region. Tanzania comes to mind. The DRC too but it's not safe there. You may even want to consider Southern countries like Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana. Compare projects in different countries and see if you can spot gaps. This is not to suggest that your current proposal cannot bring new dimensions or contribute to existing projects but there seems to be consensus that Fulbright has a bias towards novelty. That's why I was so concerned about my project since it appeared that something similar was done the year before but at the end they felt there was enough nuance to merit funding. Another option is maybe, just maybe, tweaking your project by concentrating on another animal. I always felt that beyond the dramatics the annual wildebeest crossing of the Mara River is an understudied phenomenon. I think a lot needs to be done to ensure the safe migration of those graceful animals. 

Finally, the other project sounds both feasible and awesome. There is great need for health care in rural Kenya. When I was in deprived Turkana, I was amazed by how little the government cared about some of its citizens. Village after village, I saw no sign of health care facilities. The boda boda and the mobile phone are revolutionizing rural Africa and if you can find put together a project that makes the case for ways to improve motor cycle-based health care delivery, then I think it may interest someone. 

Hi Everyone,

I applied for the Fulbright ETA to Germany this year, but declined it for another fellowship (CBYX) that has an age cap of 24.

I have aspirations in education policy, so I thought the ETA would be a perfect way to research the education system. After I reflected on it though, I think that a research/ study grant would have been better for me.

I am debating between reapplying to Germany for a study/research grant or applying to Austria. I know the Fulbright Commission "prefers" applicants who do not have extensive time in their host country. I will be in Germany for two months at the time of the application, but the commission will also be familiar with the program and know that I will be there a year even if I have not been there a whole year at the time of the application deadline. I also don't know how declining looks or if it is even something they consider given the high number of applicants to Germany.

I'd love anyone's advice/ feedback. I'm also happy to give advice as a successful ETA applicant.  

Good luck everyone!

What made you all interested in the countries you're applying to?

I've been interested in Korean politics for some time now, particularly in relation to the divide between the North and South. I've also been super interested in the language that I have tried (unsuccessfully so far) to learn. That's why I'm applying for South Korea! 

I've also done some language exchanges and tutoring before, so I feel like I could do a decent job for ETA. 

What about everyone else? 

This is good to know ! I agree and so far the input from many people has been that "this is already being done, or has been done before".  I'm so crazy thankful for this forum. I was the only person to apply through my University last year, and this year I don't think they will even have an FPA. So I'm thankful for everyone who has offered so much advice. 

Bluefit .. how did you decided where what tweeks to make ? 

You know I would add in somewhere how this your third time applying, well i would have to see your proposal to give you exact advice, but look for little difference you could switch around, maybe juggle the words a bit.. That's would really be it and re-submit..That's all I will do. I will put in the beginning how I am tenacious in my pursuit of a Fulbright as the last two years I have been short listed for an interview and selected each time as an alternate. I want the reviewers to see it. The first paragraph is best suited for that. Who know how far they read. Of course in thinking, they could be like, ahhh twice and no select as primary.. ahhh no more short list.. so im thinking either in the front or in the end, and ram it home in the interview. 

Any advice on where to put it? I put that to the forum

Hey all! I posted this originally on the 2014-15 Fulbright thread and was re-directed here. I'm debating applying for a UK Fulbright. I applied last year during my senior year and was a finalist. This year, I started an MA/PhD program. While I will be completing an MA along the way, it is a very general MA that is not focused specifically on what I will do my dissertation on (British Empire, Trauma, and Violence). However, I found an amazing MA in the UK that would supplement my course work and give me unmatched research opportunities. Since i have to write an MA thesis for it, I figured that would help with conceptualizing my dissertation. 

Online, it says that bachelor, MA, and PhD applicants can apply (unless I'm misreading it). My main concern is trying to tell my advisor that I want to do a second, more focused MA. For my field, we don't have many research funded opportunities, at least not for international stuff and I'd like to complete more coursework. But I'm also wondering if I should just give up on this dream. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello Horb, 

I'm a current Fulbright UK winner. If you believe doing your MA in the UK is crucial for your research and you can show this in your Statement of Purpose then I say go for it. Just make sure you show the program/school you want to go to is perfect for your research. With that being said, I would not say "I'd like to complete more coursework" that does not sound like a good reason. The UK is very competitive. So the fact that your current program does not have specific courses is not a good reason to come to the UK (I'm sure your reason is more than that I'm just giving an example). 

As for your adviser, I don't see why he/she wouldn't support you in applying for another MA unless he/she feels you don't have a good enough argument for doing it. But regardless good luck and never give up on your dreams. 

Haha. Thanks! I applied for the UK last year and remember how shocked I was just to make it to the next round. It is ridiculously competitive, so congratulations! 

The main reason I'd want to go to the uni I would apply to is the people working there, their research resources, and that fact that studying the British Empire in England would allow for many resources I do not currently have that would prove very useful for my dissertation. 

Haha. Thanks! I applied for the UK last year and remember how shocked I was just to make it to the next round. It is ridiculously competitive, so congratulations! 

The main reason I'd want to go to the uni I would apply to is the people working there, their research resources, and that fact that studying the British Empire in England would allow for many resources I do not currently have that would prove very useful for my dissertation. 

That sounds great! Go for it! And good luck!