Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

Hello Everyone,

I have recently found out that my affiliate has retired. I applied to Fulbright through my alma mater, so I contacted my advisers there, and they told me to obtain another, entirely new letter of affiliation from someone who is actually still at the university, and plans to be there through the next academic year.

I'm freaking out a bit. And, I'm wondering if it's even worth it...going through the trouble of finding another affiliate. Will they disqualify me because my affiliate retired?? Anyone else dealt with this situation before? Or, any general advice? Anything, really, would be much appreciated. Thank you!

18 hours ago, AVR said:

Hello Everyone,

I have recently found out that my affiliate has retired. I applied to Fulbright through my alma mater, so I contacted my advisers there, and they told me to obtain another, entirely new letter of affiliation from someone who is actually still at the university, and plans to be there through the next academic year.

I'm freaking out a bit. And, I'm wondering if it's even worth it...going through the trouble of finding another affiliate. Will they disqualify me because my affiliate retired?? Anyone else dealt with this situation before? Or, any general advice? Anything, really, would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I'd still go through it or apply at large? 

1 hour ago, Bluefit said:

I'd still go through it or apply at large? 

The application process has closed and applying at large would not change anything. You might as well wait it out and see what happens. If you make it to round two, you can ask then.

On 11/18/2015, 3:48:28, AVR said:

Hello Everyone,

At this time, you just have to wait. When you say the "affiliate" retired, it sounds like you are saying the contact person at the university of your destination country retired. Some countries REQUIRE the affiliation to be set up before the application, some do not (of course, it always helps). So, I don't think that this will automatically disqualify you at all. It may bring up questions as to the "closeness" or contact with the affiliation--- Assuming you were in direct contact with them fairly recently, I guess the contact didn't know they would retire? If you were not in contact with them, that is problematic because the person at the affiliation is supposed to serve as a sort of mentor (or at least a practical local contact). 

I'm assuming these things differ depending on your field... if your "affiliation" is primarily with a Lab and the contact person is just one of many who you could have used, then it's not so much of a problem. If, however, they were the PI for some project that you intend to work on.... that poses larger issues about the feasibility of the whole research study. If you were going for non-research and the contact was just the person at the admissions department or an academic advisor for your area of study, that person can easily be "replaced" with a new name. 

My advice is to get a new letter, explaining to the new contact what happened and hope that you make it through the first round and can explain your situation. Again, if the person is not an integral part of your research, you should not be worried since I highly doubt that would be the deciding factor for rejection. 

On 11/19/2015, 3:48:28, AVR said:

Hello Everyone,

That stinks - I can't imagine the stress!

I have only ever applied for the ETA through Fulbright, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that if you went through the effort of getting a new letter, that would only make you a stronger candidate. It would show that you are on top of things and understand the happenings at your perspective university. It it were me, I would rather have a new letter ready than be stuck empty handed when Fulbright asks about it. Or reach out to the Fulbright commission and explain the situation, as well as the actions you have taken to remedy it, before they even raise an eyebrow. Good luck!

On 10/19/2015, 11:45:02, Horb said:

Hi! What would you say your strongest part of the application was? I was a UK finalist but lost out and want to think of ways to improve my application (I've no idea what they base final decisions on).

Hello there,

It's really difficult to say. Once you are awarded the fellowship, there's no discussion of the application. Having said that, in speaking to the person who interviewed me (which I'm told is very rare) and other people at a reception in London, here's what I learned*:

1. For competitive countries like the UK, it pretty much comes down to the twin questions of why the UK and why a particular university/institution. Whoever makes the strongest and most concise case addressing these two questions has the advantage. Almost every paragraph in your statement of grant purpose must somehow speak to aspects of the two questions. Personally, once I researched every aspect of my program, I made a specific detailed outline for the two questions and then used it to write the essay. Some of the things in the outline were: the work of two specific scholars at the program I was applying to, specific modules, specific fora, how the program might (comparatively, that's) prepare me for my chosen career etc. 

2. Something some of us did (it was quite a surprise because I thought I was the only crazy person doing it) was research the program of the competition. You can find out about the competition by reading the profiles of previous winners for your program. Knowing about the competition is helpful because you can approximate their sgr essay. It's a bit like going to war. The more you know about the opposition, the better. 

3. There's a correlation between the ranking and the interview process. Unless the highest ranked person totally bombs the interview, they always get the award. In other words, the main objective of the interview is just to put a voice to the app. Is the applicant able to adumbrate without regurgitating what the interviewers already know? I don't know about you but my interview wasn't brutal at all. Other members of the cohort say the same. 

4. From # 3, that would also explain why some are not interviewed. 

5. The personal statement is not as important as the statement of grant purpose. That doesn't mean one should take it lightly but just that it doesn't have the same weight as the sgr. I'd say put 70% of your effort into the sgr. 

I hope this was helpful. If you have questions, do let me know. I stop by gradcafe every so often to see what others are saying about a fellowship I'm thinking of applying.

Are you applying in the 2017-2018 cycle?

* This is what I gleaned from conversations I've had with others. 

16 hours ago, chethedoctor said:

Hello there,

It's really difficult to say. Once you are awarded the fellowship, there's no discussion of the application. Having said that, in speaking to the person who interviewed me (which I'm told is very rare) and other people at a reception in London, here's what I learned*:

1. For competitive countries like the UK, it pretty much comes down to the twin questions of why the UK and why a particular university/institution. Whoever makes the strongest and most concise case addressing these two questions has the advantage. Almost every paragraph in your statement of grant purpose must somehow speak to aspects of the two questions. Personally, once I researched every aspect of my program, I made a specific detailed outline for the two questions and then used it to write the essay. Some of the things in the outline were: the work of two specific scholars at the program I was applying to, specific modules, specific fora, how the program might (comparatively, that's) prepare me for my chosen career etc. 

2. Something some of us did (it was quite a surprise because I thought I was the only crazy person doing it) was research the program of the competition. You can find out about the competition by reading the profiles of previous winners for your program. Knowing about the competition is helpful because you can approximate their sgr essay. It's a bit like going to war. The more you know about the opposition, the better. 

3. There's a correlation between the ranking and the interview process. Unless the highest ranked person totally bombs the interview, they always get the award. In other words, the main objective of the interview is just to put a voice to the app. Is the applicant able to adumbrate without regurgitating what the interviewers already know? I don't know about you but my interview wasn't brutal at all. Other members of the cohort say the same. 

5. The personal statement is not as important as the statement of grant purpose. That doesn't mean one should take it lightly but just that it doesn't have the same weight as the sgr. I'd say put 70% of your effort into the sgr. 

I hope this was helpful. If you have questions, do let me know. I stop by gradcafe every so often to see what others are saying about a fellowship I'm thinking of applying.

Wow, this is a great and detailed post! I am sure that advice would be helpful for any fellowship application, right?

How would one define a "competitive country"? I had applied to Italy academic grant for next year. About 140 people applied for 14 spots last year...now, that sounds very competitive! 

On November 23, 2015 at 4:00:41 PM, chethedoctor said:

Hello there,

Oh god. That makes me feel awful. I got an interview but didn't get the award, which I guess means I bombed it? But I also know multiple people got interviews for one university, so maybe the process is different based on grant? Idk. I think the most awkward part about the interview was primarily not being able to see anyone. I'll be applying next year (or the year after). I'm doing my PhD right now and would like to use the grant for an MA in Research for my dissertation.

Well applied under scholar program and two years in a row, I was selected as an alternate, losing out to people much older then me. Talked to Fulbright this past time, and the person said well your project is solid, maybe make mention you have previously applied, as Fulbright likes that. Well I did, and this year not selected to move on past first round.  Either they thought,  this guy has not gotten the nod twice before so let someone else go through, or since my proposal deals with intelligence and such, maybe with the de-stabilization of Europe with terrorism recently, they thought to unsafe. Or maybe i was outclassed.  I saw who got the selection last year, some 50 year old lady, who was a researcher.. That's not real experience... I have worked in the field for the past 6 years, thus I had to apply for scholar, and I have a Masters,and am an ABD now.  Another benefit was, my work would of let me go for the 4 months.  Anyways, I will  call and ascertain what I can, and send it ion minus my statement of applying twice before.  Fulbright has said, the reviewers do not know if one has applied the year prior, so maybe the statement ruined me.. Will we'll seee..Good luck to all 

4 hours ago, Bluefit said:

SoWell applied under scholar program and two years in a row, I was selected as an alternate, losing out to people much older then me. Talked to Fulbright this past time, and the person said well your project is solid, maybe make mention you have previously applied, as Fulbright likes that. Well I did, and this year not selected to move on past first round.  Either they thought,  this guy has not gotten the nod twice before so let someone else go through, or since my proposal deals with intelligence and such, maybe with the de-stabilization of Europe with terrorism recently, they thought to unsafe. Or maybe i was outclassed.  I saw who got the selection last year, some 50 year old lady, who was a researcher.. That's not real experience... I have worked in the field for the past 6 years, thus I had to apply for scholar, and I have a Masters,and am an ABD now.  Another benefit was, my work would of let me go for the 4 months.  Anyways, I will  call and ascertain what I can, and send it ion minus my statement of applying twice before.  Fulbright has said, the reviewers do not know if one has applied the year prior, so maybe the statement ruined me.. Will we'll seee..Good luck to all 

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't win. Clearly, there are a lot of factors that go into the decision process and the likelihood that you had the same committees each year is very slim, which can affect who/what they select to fund. I know this must be a difficult time for you –– it was for me when I lost –– but I hope you've managed to take away something positive from the experience, even if it was only polishing up a resume or something.  

As for calling, I thought Fulbright wouldn't release information on decisions. Perhaps it is different for the scholar program? Either way, I hope if you call you gain some clarity. Good luck with your dissertation!

2 hours ago, Horb said:

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't win. Clearly, there are a lot of factors that go into the decision process and the likelihood that you had the same committees each year is very slim, which can affect who/what they select to fund. I know this must be a difficult time for you –– it was for me when I lost –– but I hope you've managed to take away something positive from the experience, even if it was only polishing up a resume or something.  

As for calling, I thought Fulbright wouldn't release information on decisions. Perhaps it is different for the scholar program? Either way, I hope if you call you gain some clarity. Good luck with your dissertation!

thank you and agreed,, maybe a different committee. 

Wild chartermage, 

I also applied for the research Fulbright to Italy.  I reviewed the statistical reports on the website, and the UK is the most competitive (statistically speaking) followed by France and Italy (if I remember correctly).  I wish that it didn't take until late January to hear if we made it through the first round!  Where do you want to work?  Good luck!

2 hours ago, lyonessrampant said:

Wild chartermage, 

I also applied for the research Fulbright to Italy.  I reviewed the statistical reports on the website, and the UK is the most competitive (statistically speaking) followed by France and Italy (if I remember correctly).  I wish that it didn't take until late January to hear if we made it through the first round!  Where do you want to work?  Good luck!

I think Germany is also one of the competitive countries! I'm hoping to work with Ca' Foscari University of Venice! What about you? 

Are you an undergraduate, graduate, or else? I'm a recent undergraduate. 

I also wish we didn't have to wait so long until late January! Do you know which day? 

Germany is actually not as competitive because there are so many grants given.  Last year, for example, 299 applied but 78 grants were given.  http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics 

Of course, all of them are competitive and it is a huge honor to get an award anywhere.

For notification, on the Fulbright website it says notifications are scheduled for January 30, 2016.  Fingers crossed it might be earlier!

I applied to work with the Medical Humanities group under the supervision of Prof. Gian Mario Anselmi at the University of Bologna.  I'm a graduate student and would be completing my dissertation there if accepted.  I work on 15th-16th c. epic romance, armor, and anatomical and surgical texts.  What do you work on?  Did you also apply for a Fulbright to teach English since you're a recent undergrad?  Good luck!

Edited by lyonessrampant

Hi all, guess I'm in this waiting game for the long haul with you all. Did anyone else apply to Canada? I applied for a student award under mathematics, and it seems they've never given an award to a math project before! Fingers crossed. My project is pretty unique (simulating/modeling chemical spills into groundwater reservoirs) so hopefully that's a plus. 

I meant to apply during my senior year of undergrad but it was really a really hectic year for me and I never got around to it. I honestly think that was a blessing in disguise because I've done quite a bit since then and think my application is fairly cohesive and competitive now. Fulbright is so competitive that I know it will be a crapshoot from here on out, but I know had I applied in my senior year, I wouldn't have had a shot in hell

8 hours ago, lyonessrampant said:

Germany is actually not as competitive because there are so many grants given.  Last year, for example, 299 applied but 78 grants were given.  http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics 

Of course, all of them are competitive and it is a huge honor to get an award anywhere.

For notification, on the Fulbright website it says notifications are scheduled for January 30, 2016.  Fingers crossed it might be earlier!

I applied to work with the Medical Humanities group under the supervision of Prof. Gian Mario Anselmi at the University of Bologna.  I'm a graduate student and would be completing my dissertation there if accepted.  I work on 15th-16th c. epic romance, armor, and anatomical and surgical texts.  What do you work on?  Did you also apply for a Fulbright to teach English since you're a recent undergrad?  Good luck!

You're right. Germany must be that rich enough to give our so many grants! Lucky people who applied to Germany!

I hope it will be earlier than January 30, 2016! 

Wow, your project sounds interesting! Is there a reason that led you into this kind of project?

No, I applied for the academic grant as a recent undergraduate. I have no experience teaching English to a classroom full of kids. My work will be focused on how the deaf Italian entrepreneurs achieve economic independence with their own businesses in Italy and how Italian government, institutions, organizations, etc can support the development of deaf businesses (or minority businesses, in general). This work is based on my senior thesis research on "deaf economy" for both US and UK, but this time, I am expanding to Italy and with narrower focus. Most of the times, I will be using Italian Sign Language instead of Italian, but I still submitted foreign language eval for both languages anyway. There was a Italy-Fulbright grant for Deafness, but that one is 6 months long, which is not long enough needed for my project, so I applied for the regular 9 months grant...I hope this one doesn't hurt my chances. 

6 hours ago, wildchartermage said:

You're right. Germany must be that rich enough to give our so many grants! Lucky people who applied to Germany!

I hope it will be earlier than January 30, 2016! 

Wow, your project sounds interesting! Is there a reason that led you into this kind of project?

No, I applied for the academic grant as a recent undergraduate. I have no experience teaching English to a classroom full of kids. My work will be focused on how the deaf Italian entrepreneurs achieve economic independence with their own businesses in Italy and how Italian government, institutions, organizations, etc can support the development of deaf businesses (or minority businesses, in general). This work is based on my senior thesis research on "deaf economy" for both US and UK, but this time, I am expanding to Italy and with narrower focus. Most of the times, I will be using Italian Sign Language instead of Italian, but I still submitted foreign language eval for both languages anyway. There was a Italy-Fulbright grant for Deafness, but that one is 6 months long, which is not long enough needed for my project, so I applied for the regular 9 months grant...I hope this one doesn't hurt my chances. 

Your project sounds really interesting, too!  I'm sure if you made clear why the longer grant is necessary for your project that it won't hurt your chances.  My dissertation project arises from my research interests when applying to grad school and then the ways it has evolved based on feedback from my advisors and other faculty and the archives we have at my university and then ones I've worked with in the US, UK, and Italy.  Good luck to you!

On 11/25/2015, 3:16:59, Horb said:

Oh god. That makes me feel awful. I got an interview but didn't get the award, which I guess means I bombed it? But I also know multiple people got interviews for one university, so maybe the process is different based on grant? Idk. I think the most awkward part about the interview was primarily not being able to see anyone. I'll be applying next year (or the year after). I'm doing my PhD right now and would like to use the grant for an MA in Research for my dissertation.

No, no! Don't take it that way.  What "che" means is that they've basically already picked their candidate before the interview, but they interview more than just that one person "just in case." So basically, if the other person WOULD have bombed their interview, you would've gotten it. Which means you were REALLY close. :)

Hi,

Does anyone have any insight into the timeline of recommendation results for Switzerland?

From what I understand most people get notified in January, but for Switzerland I believe it is sometime in December because Swiss recommended applicants have to fill out an additional Swiss government application form in December.

Any day now I guess...?

Thanks!

14 hours ago, hollyberryz said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any insight into the timeline of recommendation results for Switzerland?

From what I understand most people get notified in January, but for Switzerland I believe it is sometime in December because Swiss recommended applicants have to fill out an additional Swiss government application form in December.

Any day now I guess...?

Thanks!

That's interesting! I can't say for sure when Switzerland notifies recommended applicants, but I went back and checked our spreadsheet from last year and it looks like Switzerland's applicants were notified on the same day as everyone else (January 16th).  I hope that your notification comes sooner though!

Fulbright Spreadsheet 2015-2016

Edited by RRachel1

Hi everyone,

Hoping some people may be able to shed some light on my situation. I've received an email that I'm a reserve candidate for Fulbright (which I'm assuming is akin to 'alternatives'). I've had a look over the spreadsheet and stats from previous years and my country tends to give out 6-9 scholarship to Grads, with >~150 applicants. I'm hoping people may be able to share their experience regarding how many people are selected as 'reserves' per given year, likelihood and reasons for getting moved from alternative to accepted, and, the timeframe with which most alternatives are advised. My letter stated this could be as late as 2017 which would not be feasible for my PhD. Any advise from people who have been reserves or any other information would be invaluable!

Thanks!!

On November 29, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Bluefit said:

SoWell applied under scholar program and two years in a row, I was selected as an alternate, losing out to people much older then me. Talked to Fulbright this past time, and the person said well your project is solid, maybe make mention you have previously applied, as Fulbright likes that. Well I did, and this year not selected to move on past first round.  Either they thought,  this guy has not gotten the nod twice before so let someone else go through, or since my proposal deals with intelligence and such, maybe with the de-stabilization of Europe with terrorism recently, they thought to unsafe. Or maybe i was outclassed.  I saw who got the selection last year, some 50 year old lady, who was a researcher.. That's not real experience... I have worked in the field for the past 6 years, thus I had to apply for scholar, and I have a Masters,and am an ABD now.  Another benefit was, my work would of let me go for the 4 months.  Anyways, I will  call and ascertain what I can, and send it ion minus my statement of applying twice before.  Fulbright has said, the reviewers do not know if one has applied the year prior, so maybe the statement ruined me.. Will we'll seee..Good luck to all 

If it is akin to alternate, you hope for two things: that a selected candidate receives a better offer and turns down the Fulbright (which does happy) or that more grant money has been secured and there is a turnover of alternates to principal candidates. From previous Fulbright cycles, it seems you will be told if all principal candidates accept and thus there is no need for alternates. That being said, if there is more money available after this point or if a candidate does drop for some reason, you could be moved up (this of course depends on your position on the alternate list).

Unfortunately, you generally just wait. 

On 12/8/2015 at 0:03 PM, RRachel1 said:

That's interesting! I can't say for sure when Switzerland notifies recommended applicants, but I went back and checked our spreadsheet from last year and it looks like Switzerland's applicants were notified on the same day as everyone else (January 16th).  I hope that your notification comes sooner though!

Fulbright Spreadsheet 2015-2016

Long time forum listener, here.

I was recommended for Switzerland for the last two application cycles, and I received the additional Swiss Government Research Fellowship application on the 4th of December the first year (a Friday) and on the 15th last year. I'm not sure if they make only the recommended candidates do it, or everyone (in the e-mail, it seems to suggest everyone) but it's a pretty hefty application (8+ page questionairre, plus a 5 page proposal, and a health certificate, and a passport headshot... all in triplicate copy), so I would hope they wouldn't make everyone turn it in! Either way, here's the e-mail from last year if you are curious. I haven't received any notice yet--my thought was perhaps tomorrow?

Dear Fulbright Applicants to Switzerland,

The screening of candidates for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program is still underway and notification of status will be sent to all candidates in January.  The Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research (EAER) will ultimately award the scholarships. Recommended candidates for the Fulbright/Swiss Government Awards will be forwarded to the Swiss Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) for final selection.

In the meantime, in addition to the general Fulbright application that you have already submitted and as stated on our website, you must also complete a Swiss Government grant application. You will find the application package attached as well as instructions for applicants.   You must provide this additional documentation in order to continue to be considered for a Fulbright award to Switzerland.  Please complete and submit the following documentation by January 8th, 2015. Applicants should send the required items, in hard copy, as listed below directly to the Embassy of Switzerland at the following address:

Embassy of Switzerland