Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

Thanks for the advice! I'm applying this year for an ETA in Laos, and I'm hoping it works out. 

Also, I tried accessing last year's spreadsheet from your signature, and it seems like it got deleted? Any idea why that is?

Hey fictionalfinalism, I've just updated it with the link from teachlovemusic. Thanks for telling me. :D

Hi, all! I applied for a Fulbright last year and was an Alternate. Upon reapplying this year, I was selected as a Fulbright ETA recipient. I just started a blog to keep track of the adventure, and my first post outlined my personal experience with the application process. In case you're interested in reading it, you can find it here.

Congrats on your F. 

Are you researching for your dissertation? I see you got the ETA, but there's usually a side-project involved. Due to the ageism of ETAs, I cannot apply for that one, so I will be doing a research proposal. My concern is it will be a parallel study (somewhat unrelated, but in the same field, of course) and not directly contributing to my dissertation.  Good luck with your ETA etc. 

My question, for now(!), is about involvement in the host country. I visited Rwanda for 3 weeks this past January and met, on my own accord, a director who runs a centre for homeless children - as well as pays for their education. We're very close now and I advise him often, as well as raising money for the children's education.. over $2,000 so far :D! Do you think this is something I should mention? At first I thought it would be great to show current involvement in the host country, but I don't want the panel to think I will be distracted by my ETA duties. It can be mentioned as my community involvement, but I want them to know I am just as passionate about my ETA :). What do you think?

=====

I think it is a good idea to mention your connection to the homeless center.  It shows that you have already made useful institutional connections in the country, and one that would serve as a good side project.  I know the Fulbright Commission appreciated that I had done the same in my application.  Good luck!

Edited by Dreams

Hello all! I applied for and received an ETA to Macedonia for this coming year. I'm happy to answer questions and/or edit statements. Good luck everyone!

Good job snagging Macedonia, it is a fantastic country! 

Hi! It's my first time applying for the Fulbright. I am applying for the UK-Mphil program. I know the UK is very competitive, but I am hoping my application will be successful.

I have been researching the Fulbright and thinking about how to formulate my application. I have a MA already from an American university which I did in Rome, Italy; and international development experience which I hope will benefit my application. The majority of time I have spent in the UK has been about 10 days to visit family and friends, so I don't think that will hinder my application.

Hopefully I can share my SOP and PS with some of you when its ready!

Second year applying for the same ETA program in Hungary! I'm working with my alma mater once again, and I'm hopeful that I'll have a more positive evaluation of my application.

Good luck to everyone throughout this application period! I'm looking forward to our collective anxiety levels to rise exponentially until January...and beyond! :)

Hello,

I am applying to Fulbright for an ETA position. I am having trouble with the application questions because Fulbright specifies not to repeat information yet they are asking very similar questions. Any tips on how to overcome this, or feedback you have gotten if you had similar issues? I would hate to be docked points, or disqualified because I reiterated too much, but am having such a hard time trying to figure out how to answer the questions. 

Do you all think it is worth noting that one was a finalist for a Fulbright, but ultimately not selected? I wondering including my finalist status for the UK grant I applied to a year ago in hopes of demonstrating ambition and passion for the Fulbright mission, rather than to gesture at how far I got in the process. 

So my fulbright advisor said it might work against us to say that we were an alternate in a past cycle (it would presumptuous or something like that). Any thoughts on this? Any evidence that mentioning it has worked in the past? Just curious!

Second year applying for the same ETA program in Hungary! I'm working with my alma mater once again, and I'm hopeful that I'll have a more positive evaluation of my application.

Good luck to everyone throughout this application period! I'm looking forward to our collective anxiety levels to rise exponentially until January...and beyond! :)

Hi all,

I was a Fulbright ETA to Russia 2014-2015. In the ETA program at least, the head of the program said that they make an extra effort to give grants to return applicants. It shows dedication and perseverance that you are still applying for the same spot (I think you have to stick within the same commission though. Otherwise they will not remember you).  I think most return applicants make their applications stronger too.

Hi all,

I was a Fulbright ETA to Russia 2014-2015. In the ETA program at least, the head of the program said that they make an extra effort to give grants to return applicants. It shows dedication and perseverance that you are still applying for the same spot (I think you have to stick within the same commission though. Otherwise they will not remember you).  I think most return applicants make their applications stronger too.

This is good to know. I doubt it'll be useful for me, as I'll have a gap of a few years between applications (was applying for an MA, will now apply for an MRes) and the UK is just crazy competitive, but this is amazing news for returning applicants!

My thought here,though I applied for the Fulbright Scholar Program (Due to 5 years of work Experience). The Fulbright person told me it shows perseverance and the Fulbright committee likes that. I applied the past two years and each time selected as an alternate. After the first time selected, I left out my prior application selection. This one, I put a paragraph in which mentioned the importance of my proposal to the subject.  I also added a comment on my prior selection two years in a row as an alternate, and my unwavering commitment to achieving a Fulbright etc..

No, not sure how the ETA works,but with the scholar application, you prepare a 5 page proposal. Towards the end of the proposal where I discuss relevance, i added the paragraph. 

Hi! It's my first time applying for the Fulbright. I am applying for the UK-Mphil program. I know the UK is very competitive, but I am hoping my application will be successful.

I have been researching the Fulbright and thinking about how to formulate my application. I have a MA already from an American university which I did in Rome, Italy; and international development experience which I hope will benefit my application. The majority of time I have spent in the UK has been about 10 days to visit family and friends, so I don't think that will hinder my application.

Hopefully I can share my SOP and PS with some of you when its ready!

Yes, the UK is very competitive. I applied the past two years under the scholar program and was selected each time as an Alternate. Fighting for the one grant is difficult. Good luck!!!!!!!!!   I am in a PH.D program now and work full time. Hopefully, my Fulbright proposal is geared towards my PH.D. I am hoping in the big picture to move to Europe few years down the road. Love it there.. 

For those of you looking to work in the UN: The young professional programs.. This is a great opportunity to see the world and get paid well.  

ttps://careers.un.org/ypp/2015 YPP Exam will take place on Tuesday 15 December 2015 ... The Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative for talented, highly ...

For those of you looking to work in the UN: The young professional programs.. This is a great opportunity to see the world and get paid well.  

ttps://careers.un.org/ypp/2015 YPP Exam will take place on Tuesday 15 December 2015 ... The Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative for talented, highly ...

Odd, I think the application period closed.. I just saw something that said 16 August.. maybe not, but check it out if your interested. 

Yes, the UK is very competitive. I applied the past two years under the scholar program and was selected each time as an Alternate. Fighting for the one grant is difficult. Good luck!!!!!!!!!   I am in a PH.D program now and work full time. Hopefully, my Fulbright proposal is geared towards my PH.D. I am hoping in the big picture to move to Europe few years down the road. Love it there.. 

Is there a reason you're doing the Scholar Program if you're a PhD? I mean, they still accept Doctoral level applicants and the odds must be better to apply for a student grant over a scholar grant. 

Is there a reason you're doing the Scholar Program if you're a PhD? I mean, they still accept Doctoral level applicants and the odds must be better to apply for a student grant over a scholar grant. 

According to Fulbright due to my 5 years of professional experience, I had to apply for scholar.  I think the work experience is leveling factor. 

According to Fulbright due to my 5 years of professional experience, I had to apply for scholar.  I think the work experience is leveling factor. 

Ah! Ok. I always assumed it was based on in you were in school or not.

Oh what country would you have wanted to teach English in?

I would of like to have gone to Germany, Luxembourg, or Czechoslovakia. I am hoping to eventually reside in Europe.