Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

Got selected for Mongolia this morning. Of course now that I'm already teaching here in CA I'm a bit torn. I'm these students' fourth teacher this year and even when I told them one said "you should, all our teachers quit anyways". I don't want to be just another teacher who up and quits on them.

15 hours ago, pcgraham said:

Got selected for Mongolia this morning. Of course now that I'm already teaching here in CA I'm a bit torn. I'm these students' fourth teacher this year and even when I told them one said "you should, all our teachers quit anyways". I don't want to be just another teacher who up and quits on them.

It's such a rare opportunity, you should seize it! And You can always go back to CA to teach.

Edited by Aimeemia

21 hours ago, pcgraham said:

6 hours ago, Aimeemia said:

It's such a rare opportunity, you should seize it! And You can always go back to CA to teach.

And if you want to stay in touch with your students, I am sure that you could skype them and their new teacher in the classroom/write them letters.  I think it would be an even more impactful way to show that you care by staying in touch from abroad and sharing your experiences from Mongolia with them.  

On 4/18/2016 at 5:55 PM, wildchartermage said:

I'm a Fulbright finalist for Italy and I still haven't seen anything about Grant Authorization document yet (but all of the terms&conditions, medical report, etc, are completed).

Well...at least we are both still waiting a long time for ours...

I have tried calling and e-mailing with no response yet. Starting to get antsy.

My adviser suggested I try calling again. I finally got the secretary to help me out and she said the Laos grant authorization document hasn't been sent out yet, but she can't tell me when she will send it.

At least I know I haven't missed it.

11 hours ago, cmeiling said:

Well...at least we are both still waiting a long time for ours...

I have tried calling and e-mailing with no response yet. Starting to get antsy.

I have had quite a bit of correspondence with my commission, and they have not sent the Grant Authorization document yet. Don't fret! I also received a checklist, and it listed the Grant Authorization document as something that would be sent around May. (I found out I was a finalist in early March.) Hope this makes you feel better!

11 hours ago, cmeiling said:

My adviser suggested I try calling again. I finally got the secretary to help me out and she said the Laos grant authorization document hasn't been sent out yet, but she can't tell me when she will send it.

At least I know I haven't missed it.

I see you are in Memphis?! Me too! Where do you attend univ? 

I'm really excited to meet all of you Eurasia/Eastern Europe finalists at orientation in July! So far, I have submitted all of my paperwork and received my medical clearance. Now I am just waiting for the grant authorization document and stipend information to arrive (it seems the waiting never ends with Fulbright!).  I received an email from my region's IIE contact stating that the grant authorization would be sent in May.   By that I am hoping that it is sent on May 2nd or sometime next week (can you believe it's May already??) because I am itching to know all the details of my grant.  Even though we have the entire summer until the grant period starts, I know that it will fly by and I want to make as many preparations as possible now!  

Anyway, congrats to all the finalists!! Is there anyone left that's still waiting to hear back???

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2016 at 10:09 PM, AKB_gotigers said:

I see you are in Memphis?! Me too! Where do you attend univ? 

Sorry for the super late reply! I actually graduated two years ago from a school in Ohio and moved down here to teach, although I live right by UofM!

I'm thinking about applying for a research Fulbright in the future, but the eligibility requirement about not having lived in the country you're applying to for a significant period of time is a bit perplexing. I have an E. Asian studies background and advanced language skills (Korean), but according to Fulbright Id be at a disadvantage if I applied there. Im interested to hear how others have crafted interesting research proposals for countries outside their "focus," but still relevant to their research/career going forward. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Mirabilis said:

I'm thinking about applying for a research Fulbright in the future, but the eligibility requirement about not having lived in the country you're applying to for a significant period of time is a bit perplexing. I have an E. Asian studies background and advanced language skills (Korean), but according to Fulbright Id be at a disadvantage if I applied there. Im interested to hear how others have crafted interesting research proposals for countries outside their "focus," but still relevant to their research/career going forward. Thanks!

It's not that you're ineligible to apply, but they do prefer to give grants to students that have not spent significant time abroad. I'm assuming you want to go for PhD research? You should be fine. In my case, I've spent 11 months total in my country (Japan) and won the award to do dissertation work. Others I know who won this year or in previous years have spent even longer in the country (up to three years in some cases), and others won while they were currently residing in country! So seriously, don't let that deter you; you should be fine. :) 

4 hours ago, kyjin said:

It's not that you're ineligible to apply, but they do prefer to give grants to students that have not spent significant time abroad. I'm assuming you want to go for PhD research? You should be fine. In my case, I've spent 11 months total in my country (Japan) and won the award to do dissertation work. Others I know who won this year or in previous years have spent even longer in the country (up to three years in some cases), and others won while they were currently residing in country! So seriously, don't let that deter you; you should be fine. :) 

Thanks for the reassuring words, Kyjin! So did you do Fulbright Student or Fulbright-Hays? Am I correct to assume that there are PhD students applying for both? Based on what I've read, I got the sense that dissertation research = Fulbright-Hays.

16 hours ago, Mirabilis said:

Thanks for the reassuring words, Kyjin! So did you do Fulbright Student or Fulbright-Hays? Am I correct to assume that there are PhD students applying for both? Based on what I've read, I got the sense that dissertation research = Fulbright-Hays.

I did Fulbright Student. :) And yes, PhD students do tend to apply for both, but the timing for Fulbright-Hays is odd since it's due in April. That means people who don't get a Fulbright Student award are the majority who apply for Fulbright-Hays, but I know several other students who like me applied for a number of dissertation research grants at the same time as Fulbright, and those who didn't get Fulbright took another award they received. You could work on your app for Fulbright-Hays while waiting for Fulbright Student results, but if you get a Fulbright Student award, you would either have to turn it down or withdraw your Fulbright-Hays app. 

Tl;dr: apply for Fulbright Student as well as other grants, if you don't get one of those, apply for Fulbright-Hays.