Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

Like above, you could inquire directly for clarification.  My friend who was awarded a Fulbright to the US came across the same thing.  In his he expressed preference for a few US universities, but in the end was assigned to a university.  He still ended up with a good arrangement for his PHD studies.

Interesting - they assign people to universities? I thought the emphasis was on applicants researching and choosing the institutions that best reflect/support their particular area of study?

Hi everyone

Bit of a technical question I'm hoping someone might know the answer to. 

I am intending to apply for the general Fulbright award to study in the US. I'm coming from the UK and am planning to apply for non-degree study (as I'm already enrolled on a doctorate in the UK).

On the Embark online application portal, Q27 (study/research objectives) states "Do not mention specific U.S. universities at which you would like to study."

However, in the guidance document produced by the UK Fulbright people it states on page 11, regarding Q27: "Reference the specific universities where you would like to study or have applied to and highlight your top choice "

These two pieces of guidance appear to directly contradict each other... Any wisdom on whether to discuss university choice or not?

Thanks

For anyone having the same issue, I got an email back from the UK Fulbright people: "You should follow the UK’s country specific application instructions contained in the UK Fulbright Application Instructions document in order to submit an accurate and complete application for the UK Commission."

I.e the country specific instructions override the generic ones on the Embark application portal. 

Just submitted my application for an ETA in Germany! I was a finalist for an ETA in South Africa a couple years back, and getting that email that I didn't make it was one of the most soul crushing experiences of my life. But it also set me on a path I never could have imagined, and I wouldn't change a thing. Here's to more life experience and a second try! Good luck to you all as you put the final touches on your applications. The wait after you submit is killer, but know that you did your best and what's meant to happen will happen.

I've just glanced through several posts here, but noticed that most conversation pertains to the US/IIE Fulbright.

Has any conversation begun on the next Fulbright-Hays cycle? From what I understand, the last cycle was disrupted. Any word on the cycle that would award fellowships for 2017-18?

Just submitted my application for an ETA in Germany! I was a finalist for an ETA in South Africa a couple years back, and getting that email that I didn't make it was one of the most soul crushing experiences of my life. But it also set me on a path I never could have imagined, and I wouldn't change a thing. Here's to more life experience and a second try! Good luck to you all as you put the final touches on your applications. The wait after you submit is killer, but know that you did your best and what's meant to happen will happen.

What made you decide to switch countries from one cycle to the (delayed) next?

What made you decide to switch countries from one cycle to the (delayed) next?

Good question :) When I applied to South Africa, I was coming fresh out of undergrad and wanted to see the world! South Africa has always been on my list, so I thought, "What the heck, let's move to SA." But in reality I have a lot of background in Germany (I was an exchange student there and studied German as my minor in college). It took me joining the Peace Corps and teaching in Indonesia to realize what a great opportunity it would be to go back to Germany as an English teacher - see the classroom from the other side, so to speak. Between struggling to learn Indonesian, gaining experience in the classroom, and sweating in the tropics, Germany just became a clear choice. It was a lot more deliberate than my first choice of SA - though I still have every intention of making it there one day. 

That is amazing! I too realized (though too late for me) that an ETA to Germany would have been perfect for me. It is such an amazing country and language. I also have a friend in SA who I met in Germany, so I just found your connection to the two places a little uncanny :)

That is amazing! I too realized (though too late for me) that an ETA to Germany would have been perfect for me. It is such an amazing country and language. I also have a friend in SA who I met in Germany, so I just found your connection to the two places a little uncanny :)

That's so cool! Maybe Germany will be my doorway to SA ;) 

I just submitted my application to do refugee integration in Austria! I'm dying to know if anyone else has applied to their new(ish?) community based combined grant? Apparently it's a pilot program but I don't know how popular it will be (I only found out about it accidentally), or if they will even give out any of the grants. Either way, I am relieved to be done with it! Now the waiting starts...

Hey all, I'll be applying for a research award in Canada. My field (applied math) is fairly technical and project, even more so. I'm just worried my proposal isn't going to be understandable. Just wondering if anyone would be willing to read my draft over (I'll do the same for you if you like)

Also just curious what sort of people will be reading over the applications. Should I assume that they're academics from different fields? I know FSB is presidentially-appointed but just wondering about IIE

Hi Everyone,

This is a question about university applicants editing their supplemental materials between the campus deadline and final deadline.

I'm a grad student who just submitted my Fulbright US Student grant. I'm an artist who is applying through their university program, so for the on campus deadline I submitted to both Embark (application) and Decision Desk (images). Anyway, I had my interview, and was able to apply the panelists' feedback to Embark, but I'm still locked out of Decision Desk to edit my images. I've followed up with my university, but for now, I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced a similar situation? If so, do you have any tips on how to log back into Decision Desk?

Thanks!

I just submitted my application to do refugee integration in Austria! I'm dying to know if anyone else has applied to their new(ish?) community based combined grant? Apparently it's a pilot program but I don't know how popular it will be (I only found out about it accidentally), or if they will even give out any of the grants. Either way, I am relieved to be done with it! Now the waiting starts...

That sounds so cool! Does that fall under a project grant, ETA, or other? I've never heard of that one... 

Hi Everyone,

This is a question about university applicants editing their supplemental materials between the campus deadline and final deadline.

I'm a grad student who just submitted my Fulbright US Student grant. I'm an artist who is applying through their university program, so for the on campus deadline I submitted to both Embark (application) and Decision Desk (images). Anyway, I had my interview, and was able to apply the panelists' feedback to Embark, but I'm still locked out of Decision Desk to edit my images. I've followed up with my university, but for now, I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced a similar situation? If so, do you have any tips on how to log back into Decision Desk?

Thanks!

Apparently, if you submit to Decision Desk for the internal deadline, you submit to Fulbright (as in, there isn't an internal submission option for Decision Desk like the rest of the website). You'll have to call and see if they'll let you release it. 

Apparently, if you submit to Decision Desk for the internal deadline, you submit to Fulbright (as in, there isn't an internal submission option for Decision Desk like the rest of the website). You'll have to call and see if they'll let you release it. 

I was worried about this! Thanks for your help!

Hey guys,

Has anybody here applied to a country that required their Personal Statement and Grant Purpose in both languages? I'm having a really hard time condensing my Spanish version of the Personal Statement into 1 page. The instructions for the Grant Purpose stated that it could be 2.5 pages instead of 2 for the Spanish version, but the Personal Statement didn't say anything about page limits, so I'm kinda worried there.

Hey guys,

Has anybody here applied to a country that required their Personal Statement and Grant Purpose in both languages? I'm having a really hard time condensing my Spanish version of the Personal Statement into 1 page. The instructions for the Grant Purpose stated that it could be 2.5 pages instead of 2 for the Spanish version, but the Personal Statement didn't say anything about page limits, so I'm kinda worried there.

Where did you see the 2.5 option? When I checked the website, it said 2 max for the SoGP for a Research Grant.

Where did you see the 2.5 option? When I checked the website, it said 2 max for the SoGP for a Research Grant.

The page limit is strictly 2 pages for the English version. But, if your country also requires you to submit a host language version, it can be up to 2.5 pages.

Also, I emailed Fulbright, and they said my Spanish personal statement could go a little over as well.

I only asked because on the website it says "2 pages for each version of the Grant Purpose in one document and 1 page for each Personal Statement in another document" which implies that the limit is the same for each. Perhaps on Embark it says something else!

Hi All,

I am hoping for some advice. My grad school's Fulbright campus committee is not giving me a strong  evaluation. I thought my application was strong, but they didn't think it was competitive and the interview didn't go as well as I hoped. I have worked really hard on the application. I am a new student at my current school and my affiliation letter and recommendations was all with the help of my undergraduate school. However, as I am a new grad student I thought I have to apply through school I am enrolled in and cannot apply at large? How much will this evaluation hurt my application? Should I wait until next year to apply?

ps. I'm applying for the Fulbright to Austria. Research/Study

Edited by Jigna11

Couple of last minute questions as I'm applying at large (graduated last year) for a research award:

1) This is going to sound silly but two of my rec letters are from professors I've directly done research with and one was my undergrad academic advisor. Stupid me didn't tell two of my letter writers (the profs I've done research with) that they should specifically write about the quality and feasibility of my proposal. 

However, my proposed project, while not completely a continuation of my past research with these professors, is very closely related. They did write about my past work though, and explicitly wrote in their letters that they would interested in collaborating with me and my Fulbright research supervisor since the research is of interest to them. Do you think this is enough? Did I just screw myself over? Those letters are already submitted and the deadline is a few days away so nothing can be done on that.

The third letter writer is my undergrad advisor, who can't talk about me in a research context as well as the other two, but did look over my proposal and knew he should talk about it in his rec.

2) Also, quick question on transcript requirements. I studied abroad and the course names show up on my transcript as transfer credit but no grades, since my school just required a C+ or higher to get transfer credit. Does this mean I should submit my transcript from study abroad too? Will my application be regarded by the committees as incomplete if I don't submit them? There's A LOT of conflicting information. Directly from the Embark portal:

• If you studied abroad as an undergraduate, you are not required to upload the original study abroad transcript. However, if the grades/credits are not reflected on your undergraduate transcript, you may want to obtain a grade report from the study abroad provider and upload as part of your undergraduate record.

Which I take to mean it may be a good idea, but not necessary and certainly doesn't eliminate you from consideration. But from the Fulbright website itself:

• Some transcripts also report coursework from a different institution. If the course names and grades [my transcript doesn't have grades, just transfer (which implies I passed)] appear on the transcript that you are uploading/submitting, then it is not necessary for you to also upload/submit a separate transcript for transfer credit. Failure to submit any required transcripts will result in your being declared ineligible.

I'd err on the side of caution, but if it's not required to submit the study abroad grades, then I really don't want to since I didn't do too well that semester, and the courses aren't (imo) that relevant to my research project.

Edited by hkcool

Couple of last minute questions as I'm applying at large (graduated last year) for a research award:

1) This is going to sound silly but two of my rec letters are from professors I've directly done research with and one was my undergrad academic advisor. Stupid me didn't tell two of my letter writers (the profs I've done research with) that they should specifically write about the quality and feasibility of my proposal. 

However, my proposed project, while not completely a continuation of my past research with these professors, is very closely related. They did write about my past work though, and explicitly wrote in their letters that they would interested in collaborating with me and my Fulbright research supervisor since the research is of interest to them. Do you think this is enough? Did I just screw myself over? Those letters are already submitted and the deadline is a few days away so nothing can be done on that.

The third letter writer is my undergrad advisor, who can't talk about me in a research context as well as the other two, but did look over my proposal and knew he should talk about it in his rec.

2) Also, quick question on transcript requirements. I studied abroad and the course names show up on my transcript as transfer credit but no grades, since my school just required a C+ or higher to get transfer credit. Does this mean I should submit my transcript from study abroad too? Will my application be regarded by the committees as incomplete if I don't submit them? There's A LOT of conflicting information. Directly from the Embark portal:

• If you studied abroad as an undergraduate, you are not required to upload the original study abroad transcript. However, if the grades/credits are not reflected on your undergraduate transcript, you may want to obtain a grade report from the study abroad provider and upload as part of your undergraduate record.

Which I take to mean it may be a good idea, but not necessary and certainly doesn't eliminate you from consideration. But from the Fulbright website itself:

• Some transcripts also report coursework from a different institution. If the course names and grades [my transcript doesn't have grades, just transfer (which implies I passed)] appear on the transcript that you are uploading/submitting, then it is not necessary for you to also upload/submit a separate transcript for transfer credit. Failure to submit any required transcripts will result in your being declared ineligible.

I'd err on the side of caution, but if it's not required to submit the study abroad grades, then I really don't want to since I didn't do too well that semester, and the courses aren't (imo) that relevant to my research project.

Honestly, if it was me, I would upload them because I'd be terrified I'd be ineligible. Fulbright doesn't care that much about grades compared to other fellowships (though countries like the UK, which is very difficult to win, probably put more weight on them). However, if I was on a committee and saw that you had poorer grades, I'd assume you either didn't take study abroad seriously or that you had a hard time transitioning. Thus, if it says grades/credits appearing means you don't have to upload and you have credits on your transcript, I don't think you have to upload. That is just my opinion though.

That sounds so cool! Does that fall under a project grant, ETA, or other? I've never heard of that one... 

It's a little like the ETA and Research combined grants, but instead of doing research you intern for an organization. Yeah, everyone I've asked has said "Huh, I've never heard of that?". Haha hopefully that it means it won't be competitive ;) I think Austria is the only country offering it currently.

Hi All,

I am hoping for some advice. My grad school's Fulbright campus committee is not giving me a strong  evaluation. I thought my application was strong, but they didn't think it was competitive and the interview didn't go as well as I hoped. I have worked really hard on the application. I am a new student at my current school and my affiliation letter and recommendations was all with the help of my undergraduate school. However, as I am a new grad student I thought I have to apply through school I am enrolled in and cannot apply at large? How much will this evaluation hurt my application? Should I wait until next year to apply?

What a bummer, they explicitly told you they wouldn't be giving you a strong evaluation? I think you should definitely still apply, you can always still apply again next year and it wouldn't hurt your chances that you've applied twice. I'm applying Austria as well, but for the Community-based Combined Grant.

Hi All,

My question is: did you have a poor interview because of nerves or did you have a poor interview because they felt your application was weak? If it was weak, still apply, but do your best to fix what they found to be problems. If you apply at large it will look weird, as you would still list your current school somewhere in your application and Fulbright will know that they have a FPA. Additionally, are they still endorsing you or not endorsing you? If they are not endorsing you, apply at large. Even if you change nothing, apply at large.

Edited by Horb

What a bummer, they explicitly told you they wouldn't be giving you a strong evaluation? I think you should definitely still apply, you can always still apply again next year and it wouldn't hurt your chances that you've applied twice. I'm applying Austria as well, but for the Community-based Combined Grant.

Good luck! Yes, someone from the fellowship committee spoke with me directly this Friday. Thank you, I will apply. I'm already feeling so discouraged about getting it though. 

Edited by Jigna11