Which SLP Program for Future Auditory-Verbal Therapist for Deaf/HoH?

Right in the middle of putting together an application for a master's in educational therapy, I got thrown a curveball. My youngest child, previously identified as having autism and suspected of having dyslexia, turned out to have profound hearing loss. So I'm now thinking the best way to help her and relaunch my career after a decade as a SAHM is to become an auditory-verbal therapist. I'm planning to start a SLP Assistant program at the local community college this fall and will be applying to master's programs after I finish the pre-reqs (I have a bachelor's in psychology).

I know that Gallaudet has a SLP program focused on working with the deaf & hard-of-hearing but their emphasis seems to be on teaching ASL rather than spoken English. Which universities are good for aural rehabilitation and how to teach spoken English to the D/HoH?

I got an email a while ago from Utah State University about their Listening and Spoken Language program; I'm not sure if it's an optional emphasis for SLP graduate students or if they've separated it into a separate degree program. Here's the website: http://www.lsl.usu.edu/

If you poke around there you should be able to find some more information. Hope this helps!

We currently live in California so any school within the Western states exchange program would be fantastic.

I'm still in the very early stages of exploring SLP because up until the beginning of February, I was planning on ed therapy (which I might still do a graduate certificate in since I can get the credential for that with a master's in SLP plus a few specialized courses and an ed therapy practicum). But it looks like what would help my daughter most is training to become an auditory-verbal therapist. Also, if I become a SLP, I might be able to get a job at a private school for the D/HoH that offers tuition benefits or discount for my daughter.

What is a bit ironic is that my oldest child (she's in 7th grade now) has been talking for ages about wanting to be a SLP. She's been lobbying hard for me to get a SLP degree so that we can have a clinic together (which is sweet but I'm not sure going into business with a family member is a wise idea).

Hey! Just out of curiousity (I applied to Gally), how'd you get the impression they focus on teaching ASL over spoken English in their aural rehab programs?

Hey! Just out of curiousity (I applied to Gally), how'd you get the impression they focus on teaching ASL over spoken English in their aural rehab programs?

Gallaudet is well-known for being pro-ASL and anti-oralism when it comes to the D/HoH. I'm not really in either camp because I think it really depends on the individual. I'm not against my daughter learning ASL as a 2nd language but that's a lower priority for me than improving her ability to understand and use spoken English. I don't want to waste time on so-called "Total Communication" when what I really want is auditory-verbal therapy.

WashU has a Master of Science in Deaf Education. Scholarship funding covers 100 percent during the first year and they've placed every student. I'd recommend looking there! 

I believe Utah State (WICHE!) and CSU Fresno both have a Deaf/Hard of hearing focus option. I got that info from past posts on Gradcafe so I am not sure of the legitimacy regarding the extent that each program focuses, but worth checking out!    

In case anyone else comes across this thread in the future, I asked in a different group dedicated to listening & spoken language for the D/HoH and got the following suggestions:

-Utah State

-Akron

-Toledo

-Texas San Antonio (appears only to have the M.Ed. and not SLP)

-Washington University in St. Louis (appears only to have the M.Ed. and not SLP)

An acquaintance suggested Vanderbilt and while that would probably be a total longshot due to their selectivity, they do indeed have a concentration in LSL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...