Letters of Rec Advice Needed

KieBelle

I'm planning on applying to grad school for next fall and I need 2-3 letters of recommendation (depending on the school). But I have a few problems. First, I graduated almost 5 years ago so my professors prob don't remember much about me anymore. Second, I've already almost applied twice previously and my strongest recommender has already written me letters before that I did nothing with (I actually still have 7 signed and sealed letters from him, but they're dated 2 years ago). I really really don't want to have to ask him AGAIN. I'm afraid he'll be annoyed that I've wasted so much of his time already. Another professor wrote me one letter of rec a few years back and when I asked him a second time he said he'd write one and then I never heard from him again. I don't want to let letters of recommendation stand in the way of me going to grad school.

What should I do?? :?

I'm planning on applying to grad school for next fall and I need 2-3 letters of recommendation (depending on the school). But I have a few problems. First, I graduated almost 5 years ago so my professors prob don't remember much about me anymore.

Are you in town? You can always drop by their office hours and have a chat. It refreshes their memory, and lets you talk about your grad school plans and potentially get some useful advice. If you're not in town, try sending a slightly longer e-mail telling them what you've been doing since graduation and why you want to do grad school, or attach a CV of what you've been up to.

Second, I've already almost applied twice previously and my strongest recommender has already written me letters before that I did nothing with (I actually still have 7 signed and sealed letters from him, but they're dated 2 years ago). I really really don't want to have to ask him AGAIN. I'm afraid he'll be annoyed that I've wasted so much of his time already.

Don't worry about this. First of all, writing rec letters is part of their job. Second, once they've written the letter, it's really no problem to just print it off and send it again. It's not an unreasonable burden. There are many people on these boards who have applied two or three times before they get in. And once you're in, you'll be relying on letter writers for awards, grant applications, post docs, job references, etc. Multiple requests are absolutely normal.

Another professor wrote me one letter of rec a few years back and when I asked him a second time he said he'd write one and then I never heard from him again. I don't want to let letters of recommendation stand in the way of me going to grad school.

Then don't let em! In case it's not already clear, the fact that he dropped off the face of the earth has absolutely nothing to do with your ability as a student. Many of my friends have dealt with late or missing letters from some of their biggest supporters. The absentminded professor stereotype exists for a reason. Make sure to politely but persistently follow up with your letter writers and make sure the letter gets there.

I would avoid letters from employers unless you have a research job related to your potential grad field, or are doing a professional master's and have related work experience. You need people who can attest to your academic ability.

This is totally do-able. Just re-build your bridges and be confident! Best of luck.

first of all, don't underestimate a prof's memory of students. Even if one doesn't quite recall your name, a face-to-face reunion will probably remind them.

In my experience, profs are only too happy to write new letters. They are more likely to remember you than to remember the outcome of prior letters they've written- if they even knew the outcome.

you remind me of me sometimes - throwing up obstacles where there aren't any. Stop talking yourself out of the effort. Our own resistance tends to be our worst enemies.

you remind me of me sometimes - throwing up obstacles where there aren't any. Stop talking yourself out of the effort. Our own resistance tends to be our worst enemies.

Kent is absolutely right about this. Send the professors a friendly email letting them know that after 5 years away from school you've set your mind to returning to your studies. Meeting with them to discuss your plans and provide them with material for letters of recommendation might even leave you feeling ever more motivated and excited about graduate studies and your subject area.

Thanks everyone! :D I feel a lot better about this already. And kent, you're absolutely right- I have an unfortunate tendency to do that. (Hence the 5 year wait before finally applying to grad school.) I did my undergrad in Hawaii and now I live in California, so visiting the profs isn't possible. But I'll definitely take the time to write a thoughtful and detailed email to each of them.

As for employers, I could get a letter from an attorney I worked for recently but I'm not sure if that would be helpful since my intended area of study isn't law.

As for employers, I could get a letter from an attorney I worked for recently but I'm not sure if that would be helpful since my intended area of study isn't law.

Be sure that your letter writers are able to assess your suitability for graduate study. Some employers are able to do so (e.g., industry researchers in the sciences, some government advisors, etc.); most simply aren't familiar enough with graduate studies or the particular subject area. Even if you've been out of undergrad for several years, it wouldn't take long for a professor to reacquaint him/her self with your profile and provide a meaningful evaluation.

Best of luck!