2016 Canadian SLP Thread

• 2 weeks later...

ORPAS is finally open!

and I already have a question. For the pre req forms, any idea what the heck the URL is for? I was able to find one URL for a couse syllabus for one of my courses... but no course websites for any of them. Any idea what comment or URL theyre looking for?

ORPAS is finally open!

and I already have a question. For the pre req forms, any idea what the heck the URL is for? I was able to find one URL for a couse syllabus for one of my courses... but no course websites for any of them. Any idea what comment or URL theyre looking for?

I had that exact same problem! If you just put a "." in that box it'll let you save, I'm going to email ORPAS to ask but at least it's a temporary fix so that you can continue with your application for now! :) 

I had that exact same problem! If you just put a "." in that box it'll let you save, I'm going to email ORPAS to ask but at least it's a temporary fix so that you can continue with your application for now! :) 

Ive been putting no URL available

anyone else kinda annoyed that orpas has no space for awards or leadership..? or i cant find it...?

i mean im putting the leadership under volunteering right now, but its asking for site population characteristics... 

not impressed with the way this is organized right now. unless ofcourse i just simply cant find it

Ive been putting no URL available

I read on the application booklet that you need to put a link to the course description in that box. I just put a link to the course calendar that matched the year I took the course. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I decided to post here because when I was applying last year, I found it useful to talk to people already in the program and ask questions. I am in my first year at U of T.

Good luck everyone! 

Edited by Eselpi

did anyone figure out where to add misc documents, resume or awards or leadership?

I don't know if it has changed this year, but for ORPAS last year they were not accepting resumes or awards details. Just talk about them in your letter of intent if you want! There were only fields to add work or volunteer experience. But I am not sure how this year's is. 

I don't know if it has changed this year, but for ORPAS last year they were not accepting resumes or awards details. Just talk about them in your letter of intent if you want! There were only fields to add work or volunteer experience. But I am not sure how this year's is. 

there is an option to add resume at the end of the submission process

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this thread for the last little while and am finally making my first post. I'll be applying to all the Ontario schools as well as McGill and am starting to freak out over applications! Best of luck to everyone!

I have a question about the reference process on ORPAS, hopefully one of you lovely people would know more about this. I understand that we provide ORPAS with the contact information of our referees and it generates a Confidential Assessment form for them. I am wondering if we have to print this off and give it to our references or if we can simply email it to them? Also, once they have completed the form, can they upload it online to ORPAS or will they have to mail it in? I ask because I know it will be much easier for my referees to upload them online rather than by snail mail. 

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this thread for the last little while and am finally making my first post. I'll be applying to all the Ontario schools as well as McGill and am starting to freak out over applications! Best of luck to everyone!

I have a question about the reference process on ORPAS, hopefully one of you lovely people would know more about this. I understand that we provide ORPAS with the contact information of our referees and it generates a Confidential Assessment form for them. I am wondering if we have to print this off and give it to our references or if we can simply email it to them? Also, once they have completed the form, can they upload it online to ORPAS or will they have to mail it in? I ask because I know it will be much easier for my referees to upload them online rather than by snail mail. 

once u list references they get an email and they have to follow instructions to log into orpas and leave their reference

For ORPAS, you can email them the form but they have to print it off and mail it in. 

Hey everyone, I decided to post here because when I was applying last year, I found it useful to talk to people already in the program and ask questions. I am in my first year at U of T.

Good luck everyone! 

Thanks for your post! Would you mind sharing your stats? Or if there was anything in your application that you think helped you get in? 

Thanks for your post! Would you mind sharing your stats? Or if there was anything in your application that you think helped you get in? 

I can message you more exact details if you want, but my subGPA was above 3.9. I had around 300 hours volunteering with two populations, as well as research experience including conference presentations. I think having good grades definitely helps because it shows you are prepared to handle a pretty intense curriculum. Your references also matter, so it is good to pick them wisely. I think volunteering with two populations made a big difference for me too as a lot of people have amazing experience in the program. They like diversity so it is good to have unique experiences, as well. 

I have a kind of personal question for people.. has anyone fallen out of love with SLP? I have worked for it for 3 years and now that I am getting my applications together I am just having a real bitterness about it all (mainly the focus on grades, I think if you are above 80% that is an achievement of itself and your application should at least be looked at not thrown out in the garbage, which I have heard is the case) . The non consistent hours, salary based on clients specifically. job market in my area (toronto), and speaking to speech language pathologists who are unsatisfied and scared of the careers longevity, over saturation .

Has anyone felt this way? I think I may just be getting nervous for applications because it only began now, but I find it very sad if I am truly falling out of love with this profession :( 

14 hours ago, speechies said:

I have a kind of personal question for people.. has anyone fallen out of love with SLP? I have worked for it for 3 years and now that I am getting my applications together I am just having a real bitterness about it all (mainly the focus on grades, I think if you are above 80% that is an achievement of itself and your application should at least be looked at not thrown out in the garbage, which I have heard is the case) . The non consistent hours, salary based on clients specifically. job market in my area (toronto), and speaking to speech language pathologists who are unsatisfied and scared of the careers longevity, over saturation .

Has anyone felt this way? I think I may just be getting nervous for applications because it only began now, but I find it very sad if I am truly falling out of love with this profession :( 

Hi Speechies,

I can definitely related to how you are feeling. This can be a very frustrating and disheartening process - it is difficult not to get bogged down in that. 

I didn't get in last year and I still, to be honest, feel sad and a bit of resentment about it.  Especially, as you mentioned, the GPA thing. I've worked in the field for years, I have good marks, I have research experience.. Gave up my life for the last three years to continue with my schooling, but I KNOW my application didn't even get looked at which is probably... One of the worst feelings.

Anyway, the bitterness took over for a while after my rejection and I thought about completely changing fields, but couldn't find anything that represented the same love I have for SLP (it's been part of my life for almost ten years). So I'm trying again.  I stress about it a lot and really worry about what to do if I don't get in; however, if there is something else that interests you I don't think it's bad to change things up!  But if it's soley to do with the system and politics around SLP, then you are right, that is sad. default_sad.png

Anyway.. Just wanted to let you know I commiserate with you. 

8 hours ago, lindzzz said:

Hi Speechies,

I can definitely related to how you are feeling. This can be a very frustrating and disheartening process - it is difficult not to get bogged down in that. 

I didn't get in last year and I still, to be honest, feel sad and a bit of resentment about it.  Especially, as you mentioned, the GPA thing. I've worked in the field for years, I have good marks, I have research experience.. Gave up my life for the last three years to continue with my schooling, but I KNOW my application didn't even get looked at which is probably... One of the worst feelings.

Anyway, the bitterness took over for a while after my rejection and I thought about completely changing fields, but couldn't find anything that represented the same love I have for SLP (it's been part of my life for almost ten years). So I'm trying again.  I stress about it a lot and really worry about what to do if I don't get in; however, if there is something else that interests you I don't think it's bad to change things up!  But if it's soley to do with the system and politics around SLP, then you are right, that is sad. default_sad.png

Anyway.. Just wanted to let you know I commiserate with you. 

Hello,

Thank you so much for the response, it is nice to know I am not alone in feeling this way..disheartening is really the perfect word for it. I am applying for backups as well because if I don't get in I don't think I can afford to spend the same amount of money/time especially since I know it usually is GPA related which means taking more courses that I do not need. 

Just the fact that all that and your application doesn't even get looked at because you got a couple of B+'s. Sometimes it just turns me off from the profession in general. 

But, on the positive note I know that I had done everything I could and in the end maybe SLP is just not for me! I am ready to take on that moment, so I can finally move on. I sound like I am breaking up with a boyfriend! 

Thank you so much Lindz!! However, who knows this time around! I am crossing my fingers for you. Which schools are you applying to??

On 11/2/2015, 8:09:41, speechies said:

Hello,

Thank you so much for the response, it is nice to know I am not alone in feeling this way..disheartening is really the perfect word for it. I am applying for backups as well because if I don't get in I don't think I can afford to spend the same amount of money/time especially since I know it usually is GPA related which means taking more courses that I do not need. 

Just the fact that all that and your application doesn't even get looked at because you got a couple of B+'s. Sometimes it just turns me off from the profession in general. 

But, on the positive note I know that I had done everything I could and in the end maybe SLP is just not for me! I am ready to take on that moment, so I can finally move on. I sound like I am breaking up with a boyfriend! 

Thank you so much Lindz!! However, who knows this time around! I am crossing my fingers for you. Which schools are you applying to??

Hey Speechies, 

Thanks for the positive vibes! I have my fingers crossed for you as well :) I only applied to U of A last year, but this year I'm applying to U of A, Dalhousie, and Western for sure.. Preference on U of A since I live in Edmonton. Still debating on U of T and McGill because I'll have to take one more prereq in the winter to be able to apply to them.. basically trying to decide of it's worth the extra money.  However, if I don't get into the other schools and I didn't try there I'd probably wonder "what if?" - so likely I'll end up applying to all 5.  UBC is out of the question unfortunately as I'm missing too many prereqs from there.  

What about you? What schools are you applying to? 

Good for you, you are much more mentally prepared than I :D, haha.  What are your back ups if you don't mind me asking?  The heavy weight on GPA turns me off as well. I just don't think it's fair, there are too many other factors that can determine GPA (ie: different grading for different courses, "easier" undergrads, terrible profs,whether or not you have to support yourself, etc.).  Plus, I don't think crazy high GPA = good clinician (I've worked with some extremely "book smart" people with pretty average people skills). I get that you need to have educational strengths when undergoing a masters degree, but I don't agree that you have to have above a 3.8 to do so.  I really feel that they just don't want to go through tons and tons of applications to see which truly are the strongest across the board, so they have a "cut off" in mind.  My opinion on it anyway ;) It really is a bit of a turn off. 

16 hours ago, lindzzz said:

Hey Speechies, 

Thanks for the positive vibes! I have my fingers crossed for you as well :) I only applied to U of A last year, but this year I'm applying to U of A, Dalhousie, and Western for sure.. Preference on U of A since I live in Edmonton. Still debating on U of T and McGill because I'll have to take one more prereq in the winter to be able to apply to them.. basically trying to decide of it's worth the extra money.  However, if I don't get into the other schools and I didn't try there I'd probably wonder "what if?" - so likely I'll end up applying to all 5.  UBC is out of the question unfortunately as I'm missing too many prereqs from there.  

What about you? What schools are you applying to? 

Good for you, you are much more mentally prepared than I :D, haha.  What are your back ups if you don't mind me asking?  The heavy weight on GPA turns me off as well. I just don't think it's fair, there are too many other factors that can determine GPA (ie: different grading for different courses, "easier" undergrads, terrible profs,whether or not you have to support yourself, etc.).  Plus, I don't think crazy high GPA = good clinician (I've worked with some extremely "book smart" people with pretty average people skills). I get that you need to have educational strengths when undergoing a masters degree, but I don't agree that you have to have above a 3.8 to do so.  I really feel that they just don't want to go through tons and tons of applications to see which truly are the strongest across the board, so they have a "cut off" in mind.  My opinion on it anyway ;) It really is a bit of a turn off. 

Hey lindzz I am going to PM you!

I have the opposite problem, which makes me feel like a bit of a tool for even mentioning it -- my GPA is quite high but I haven't had as much time as I'd like to rack up volunteer hours. I'm just over the requirement for those schools (like Western, and... what is it, U of T?) who have a minimum volunteer hour requirement.

Does anybody know which schools have a reputation for leaning harder on GPA than others?

Also, anybody writing the GREs soon or have written them recently? I write mine on Thursday and, although I've studied, it's a bit of a question mark since I haven't done any real standardized testing since grade 9. I don't know how much Dalhousie and U of Alberta actually care about the GRE score, or even what's considered a "good" score