2016 Canadian SLP Thread

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum...congratulations on all of your acceptances. 

Has anyone heard back about the waitlist for Toronto? I see there were a lot of people who didn't accept TO so I am hoping that there should be some spots opening up in the program. 

11 minutes ago, SpeechWannaB said:

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum...congratulations on all of your acceptances. 

Has anyone heard back about the waitlist for Toronto? I see there were a lot of people who didn't accept TO so I am hoping that there should be some spots opening up in the program. 

hello! I am also a waitlister to uoft but have not heard anything. I think they begin two weeks after April 15th or something like that? I dont know if they've begun yet

59 minutes ago, futureslpcan said:

Hey everyone, I'm looking at prerequisites for different schools and I have a question.

When schools say you must take either one of X or Y, (ex. stats1 or stats2)  and let's say I took both but got a 70 in one and a 80 in the other, am I the one who selects the course they'll look at?

Similarly, do I have to provide the courses that fulfill the prereq's to the school, or do they look through my transcript and pick themselves?

Thanks

Yes, on your application you have to enter in the courses you took that fulfills each prerequisite. Therefore, you can select the course with the higher mark to write in the prerequisite section on your application (that's what I did). However, both courses will still count towards your subGPA if they're both in your most recent 60 credits (or however many depending on the school). 

1 hour ago, futureslpcan said:

Okay I get it, thank you! One last thing, since some schools need a full year of statistics, would they average out the mark I got between the two courses?

No problem! I don't think they explicitly say that they calculate your prerequisite average, but I'm assuming if they do they would weight each half-year course equally.

Hey SLPs!! I'll be attending Dalhousie in September for Audiology and was just wondering if there are any other future Dal students in the SLP stream :)
Hope to hear back soon!

Chantal

On 4/28/2016 at 3:56 PM, Chantal said:

Hey SLPs!! I'll be attending Dalhousie in September for Audiology and was just wondering if there are any other future Dal students in the SLP stream :)
Hope to hear back soon!

Chantal

Hey Chantal,

I'm going to Dalhousie in the fall as well also for audiology. Its great to meet someone else in the program. 

Edited by Aud2016

Just an update for people on the Western waiting list: I contacted Janet and she said that they're still waiting on a report from ORPAS so they haven't called anyone on the waiting list yet. She said they'll be taking very few people though. 

4 hours ago, klfstudent said:

Just an update for people on the Western waiting list: I contacted Janet and she said that they're still waiting on a report from ORPAS so they haven't called anyone on the waiting list yet. She said they'll be taking very few people though. 

Did you just contact Janet recently? When I spoke to Janet two weeks ago about this she said: "We got almost a full class from first round offers this year so we have gone to the waitlist already and as of right now have a full class. The waitlist will stay open all summer in case anyone changes their mind and cancels."

I am just trying to figure out what is actually going on! I am so confused right now lol 

Edited by hopetobeSLP

27 minutes ago, hopetobeSLP said:

Did you just contact Janet recently? When I spoke to Janet two weeks ago about this she said: "We got almost a full class from first round offers this year so we have gone to the waitlist already and as of right now have a full class. The waitlist will stay open all summer in case anyone changes their mind and cancels."

I am just trying to figure out what is actually going on! I am so confused right now lol 

That's so weird! This is what I got from her today after I asked if the class is full yet: "we are waiting on our next report from ORPAS before going to our
waitlist, which will likely only be for a very few. 
Janet"

19 hours ago, westerngalgrad said:

Accepted for Western Audiology off the waitlist today! 

I was told I was near the bottom so I was very shocked - especially with the number of people on the waitlist (25) vs. spots (22). So so excited! If anyone knows about a Western FB group for audiology let me know!

Congratulations !! That is amazing! 

Has anyone else heard from Western about the wait list? 

21 hours ago, westerngalgrad said:

Accepted for Western Audiology off the waitlist today! 

I was told I was near the bottom so I was very shocked - especially with the number of people on the waitlist (25) vs. spots (22). So so excited! If anyone knows about a Western FB group for audiology let me know!

@westerngalgrad that's amazing but now I'm really confused to how the waitlist works. I was told I was on the upper half of the waitlist for audiology and I was never contacted. Has that happened to anyone else?

18 minutes ago, Aud2016 said:

@westerngalgrad that's amazing but now I'm really confused to how the waitlist works. I was told I was on the upper half of the waitlist for audiology and I was never contacted. Has that happened to anyone else?

There seems to be a ton of inconsistencies in he relaying of info this year so I am extremely confused as well! I would email Janet if I was you! :) 

For those on the waitlist for U of T... they are evil. I have emailed the admissions team and they said that even when the program is filled and they are no longer accepting people off the waitlist they will not notify us until the end of summer. 

4 hours ago, speechies said:

For those on the waitlist for U of T... they are evil. I have emailed the admissions team and they said that even when the program is filled and they are no longer accepting people off the waitlist they will not notify us until the end of summer. 

I was on the Dalhousie waitlist last year and received a rejection letter in mid-September. If you are currently on a waitlist: get your plans in motion, keep building your CV over the summer, and let people know of your availability in the Fall season.

I was originally accepted to Western and waitlisted at U of T.  After provisionally accepting western I got off the wait list at UofT (on april 21st). I cancelled my acceptance to Western in favour of UofT so hopefully that opened up a spot for someone else on here!

Hey everyone! I came across this forum when tying to find advice online about volunteering. I am a certified teacher from Montreal who is currently living and working in Tokyo. In September, I am returning to Montreal to take some prerequisite courses at McGill and will be applying to the SLP program for the following year (Fall 2017). I graduated from my undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.7 which I hope is high enough to be considered (?). 

My main concern (which I am actually losing sleep over) is the volunteering hours. I have been shamelessly emailing places in the hope of securing something for the fall but to no avail. It seems nearly impossible to find an SLP who is looking for a volunteer or a shadow... I have also tried hospitals and care facilities but they mostly want volunteers for cafeterias, bingo nights, etc. 

Any advice, help or contacts would be GREATLY appreciated! 

On May 24, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Klamb said:

Hey everyone! I came across this forum when tying to find advice online about volunteering. I am a certified teacher from Montreal who is currently living and working in Tokyo. In September, I am returning to Montreal to take some prerequisite courses at McGill and will be applying to the SLP program for the following year (Fall 2017). I graduated from my undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.7 which I hope is high enough to be considered (?). 

My main concern (which I am actually losing sleep over) is the volunteering hours. I have been shamelessly emailing places in the hope of securing something for the fall but to no avail. It seems nearly impossible to find an SLP who is looking for a volunteer or a shadow... I have also tried hospitals and care facilities but they mostly want volunteers for cafeterias, bingo nights, etc. 

Any advice, help or contacts would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Hey fellow teacher! I've heard the GPA cutoff is usually around 3.7, so you should be okay, but not sure the accuracy of that. Just make sure you do the best you can on your prereqs! 

Have you tried looking for contacts on the QASLPA website? You can find all the SLPs practicing in your city and their contact info there. I volunteered with an SLP in a private practice, which is probably easier to get in as a volunteer because it's just up to the SLP whether they want to take you on rather than going through big organizations like hospitals. I also volunteered with a community group for people with aphasia so you could check to see there is anything like that in your city. Hope this helps!