2016 Canadian SLP Thread

3 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

I have the opposite problem, which makes me feel like a bit of a tool for even mentioning it -- my GPA is quite high but I haven't had as much time as I'd like to rack up volunteer hours. I'm just over the requirement for those schools (like Western, and... what is it, U of T?) who have a minimum volunteer hour requirement.

Does anybody know which schools have a reputation for leaning harder on GPA than others?

Also, anybody writing the GREs soon or have written them recently? I write mine on Thursday and, although I've studied, it's a bit of a question mark since I haven't done any real standardized testing since grade 9. I don't know how much Dalhousie and U of Alberta actually care about the GRE score, or even what's considered a "good" score

im doing my GRE on friday, a good score is 50th percentile and above

On November 1, 2015 at 7:45:30 AM, speechies said:

I have a kind of personal question for people.. has anyone fallen out of love with SLP? I have worked for it for 3 years and now that I am getting my applications together I am just having a real bitterness about it all (mainly the focus on grades, I think if you are above 80% that is an achievement of itself and your application should at least be looked at not thrown out in the garbage, which I have heard is the case) . The non consistent hours, salary based on clients specifically. job market in my area (toronto), and speaking to speech language pathologists who are unsatisfied and scared of the careers longevity, over saturation .

Has anyone felt this way? I think I may just be getting nervous for applications because it only began now, but I find it very sad if I am truly falling out of love with this profession :( 

Over saturation?  And career longevity?  I haven't heard of either of those things being potential problems - is this a problem in Canada?

10 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

Over saturation?  And career longevity?  I haven't heard of either of those things being potential problems - is this a problem in Canada?

Well this is only what I have heard from speech therapists in Toronto and GTA. 

7 hours ago, speechies said:

Well this is only what I have heard from speech therapists in Toronto and GTA. 

I have never heard this.. and our career is on the rise trend if anything with lots of job prospects... thats at least what all the statistics are on the internet

On ORPAS I am a little confused about referee address. Did you ask your reference for a personal mailing address or just put the address of the school where their office is located ? 

23 hours ago, AS0178 said:

On ORPAS I am a little confused about referee address. Did you ask your reference for a personal mailing address or just put the address of the school where their office is located ? 

its the address of the school or their professional office

for UofT, I thought they counted back the last 20 credits and if one or ended up in the middle of a semester they would average it out. 

Thats the case for me, m last 2 credits end up in a summer session of 3 courses. so the average would be 86 for each. but im hearing that theyre gonna average out the whole YEAR, fall and winter! which would considerably reduce my mark. any thoughts? can someone email mabel? cause ive annoyed her enough this week...

9 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

for UofT, I thought they counted back the last 20 credits and if one or ended up in the middle of a semester they would average it out. 

Thats the case for me, m last 2 credits end up in a summer session of 3 courses. so the average would be 86 for each. but im hearing that theyre gonna average out the whole YEAR, fall and winter! which would considerably reduce my mark. any thoughts? can someone email mabel? cause ive annoyed her enough this week...

wow I never knew about this ! Itd be nice if they write this somewhere. Did you hear it from someone cause its not on website. I took a course in the summer that would count so does that mean they are going to take my fall winter and summer marks and take the average ?? So confused now !!

Forgive me if this is a silly question.  I'm filling out the ORPAS application for UWO - I'm at the volunteer experience section.  I don't see any areas for work experience (I'm an SLP assistant) - so would I just put that in the volunteer experience section??

16 minutes ago, speechies said:

wow I never knew about this ! Itd be nice if they write this somewhere. Did you hear it from someone cause its not on website. I took a course in the summer that would count so does that mean they are going to take my fall winter and summer marks and take the average ?? So confused now !!

yeah i heard it from someone that this happened to like 2 years ago... and it was a considerable blow, lowered the subgpa by .1 points from like 3.8 to 3.7....

can you email mabel regarding this? i honestly emailed her like 3 times this week, i dont want her to get pissed at me lol

3 hours ago, klfstudent said:

Does anyone applying to McGill know if you have to submit your entire application before they send an email out to your referees or if there is a way to do that before submitting your application?

with those apps its after u pay

Hello everyone! I'm trying to complete McGill's online application, and none of my content is saving. I spend all this time filling out the prerequisite information, hit save and then moved on to the next page. When I went back, the prerequisite page was empty! Has anyone else run into this?

On November 21, 2015 at 11:05:32 AM, Hopeful_SLP said:

Hello everyone! I'm trying to complete McGill's online application, and none of my content is saving. I spend all this time filling out the prerequisite information, hit save and then moved on to the next page. When I went back, the prerequisite page was empty! Has anyone else run into this?

You have to fill out every box on the page for it to save. I just put a "." in the boxes where you write your responses to the questions since I haven't written them yet. 

1 hour ago, klfstudent said:

You have to fill out every box on the page for it to save. I just put a "." in the boxes where you write your responses to the questions since I haven't written them yet. 

does it let you re do it? cause somewhere at the top it said once saved you cant change it or something 

Hi,

I am applying to Western for SLP and I was just wondering if anyone knows what we are supposed to put down for Site Population under the Volunteer section. Does this refer to how many people we volunteered alongside? Also for Geographic Location, is that just the city we volunteered in? I just want to make sure I'm answering it correctly.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, BrianneM said:

Hi,

I am applying to Western for SLP and I was just wondering if anyone knows what we are supposed to put down for Site Population under the Volunteer section. Does this refer to how many people we volunteered alongside? Also for Geographic Location, is that just the city we volunteered in? I just want to make sure I'm answering it correctly.

Thanks!

site population is who u worked with.. kids adults etc

Hi all!

I'm a current first year student in SLP at the U of A.

I was in your shoes a year ago and had zero faith that I'd actually be accepted anywhere, let alone to both the U of A and U of T.

I won't be much use in terms of helping you navigate the application forms but I am happy to answer any questions you may have (just be patient, I'm in the middle of exams :P).

What I can tell you is what I love about the program at the U of A, and trust me that's a long list.

Good luck everyone, and have some faith in yourselves!

9 minutes ago, kelseymg said:

Hi all!

I was in your shoes a year ago and had zero faith that I'd actually be accepted anywhere, let alone to both the U of A and U of T.

I won't be much use in terms of helping you navigate the application forms but I am happy to answer any questions you may have (just be patient, I'm in the middle of exams :P).

What I can tell you is what I love about the program at the U of A, and trust me that's a long list.

hey! congrats!

do you mind sharing your stats? im sure we would love to know

10 hours ago, kelseymg said:

Hi all!

Hi Kelseymg! 

Congrats on getting into U of A last year! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the program. I'm applying to U of A, U of T, Western, Dalhousie and McGill. I'd love to know why you chose U of A over U of T. Also, I would love to know your stats if you're willing to share or message me. I really don't know what to expect and I waffle between feeling confident I'll get at least one acceptance and feeling like I have no chance at all! 

10 hours ago, kelseymg said:

Hi all!

Hey there, I'd also like to know your stats if you're willing to share :) Thanks!

Edited by r4chung
delete part of post