NSF DDIG Anthropology 2015

ohmigod

Hello, fellow anxious worriers. One of my classmates heard they were rejected a week ago. This Tuesday another one heard they were rejected. The emails went to their PI, not to them. I have not heard anything back, and my Fastlane status still says "pending." I was in the March 23 panel.

Good luck to all.

mdmelib, how do you know you were in the March 23 panel? My Fastlane says "External Peer Review began on March 19" but I'm starting to think maybe I will be reviewed in the April panel...

Interesting... Maybe you got it then! It seems like not having heard means you haven't been rejected!

I do know that there will be a panel in April because they have panel schedules up on their website at http://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp(They mistyped Deborah Winslow's name, but it looks like the April panel dates are April 23-24).

mdmelib, how do you know you were in the March 23 panel? My Fastlane says "External Peer Review began on March 19" but I'm starting to think maybe I will be reviewed in the April panel...

Where in fastlane did you find this info?

Hmm... I haven't heard anything. My Fastlane still says my app is pending... Frustrating!!! Mdmelib, did you get reviews? Anthrobirthnerd, have you heard anything? 

Yes, I did get reviews. I was scared to look at them, but actually they're quite clear and fair. 

Apparently there were 160 proposals in total, and each panel reviewed 80. Of the 80 in my panel (March 23), here's the ranking breakdown:

Competitive, High Priority: 4 proposals(5%) 

Competitive: 8 proposals (10%) 
Not Competitive, Needs Moderate Revision: 17 proposals (21%) 
Not Competitive, Needs Serious Revision: 51 proposals (64%) 

The review also says:
Depending on budgetary constraints and the willingness and ability of other programs to participate in joint funding of meritorious proposals, the Cultural Anthropology Program anticipates recommending funding approximately 15-20% percent of the Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant proposals during this review cycle.

I know this info doesn't really help with the anxiety of waiting, but it's something at least. :/

I'm still listed as pending. We'll see. 

My husband is threatening to take away my Grad Cafe password so I don't drive myself crazy and can actually finish the qual I'm working on right now, so I may not check back in until I hear. 

The website is not always accurate, as it may say pending for weeks after you have been rejected. Last year I waited until late May to find out that I had been recommended for funding, but would ultimately have to reapply (got it following round, early notification). In short, there is really no way to speed up the waiting game. Our only option is to get comfortable with ambiguity. (PS this is key to thriving in academia)

Edited by TheRealP

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I applied for the August 2015 NSF DDIG deadline for Cultural Anthro. My panel is this week. Anyone know how long after the panel it takes to hear back about your proposal status?

I read from other posts and it usually take about 1-2 weeks to hear the good news (recommend for award) and bad news (not recommend) after the panel meeting. Is everyone else still waiting to hear back at this point?

I read from other posts and it usually take about 1-2 weeks to hear the good news (recommend for award) and bad news (not recommend) after the panel meeting. Is everyone else still waiting to hear back at this point?

I hope so - that's faster than I thought! My proposal is still 'pending' in Fastlane. 

• 2 weeks later...
On October 27, 2015 at 1:47:16 PM, meteor71131 said:

Hm... we're already 3-4 weeks removed from the panel dates and still nothing. I'm hoping no news is good news?

6 hours ago, farflung said:

Hm... we're already 3-4 weeks removed from the panel dates and still nothing. I'm hoping no news is good news?

My friend was rejected last week, but his Fastlane was still pending...

16 hours ago, meteor71131 said:

My friend was rejected last week, but his Fastlane was still pending...

Well at least someone has heard something, that gives me hope. It seems like the notification process is fairly unpredictable, and may have something to do with how your proposal is ranked in terms of funding priority. Last cycle my Fastlane showed "declined" weeks before I received any official e-mail. For others it was the exact opposite!