Applying as a Part time Student, but want to switch to full time

Beagle2006

Has anybody had any experience with this?  I applied to one of my MSW programs and checked part-time student, at this point I have been accepted, though my letter did not stipulate full or part time. 

Since applying I have been giving it more thought and think that I would rather be a full time student, does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible? Or do they accept you based on if you asked to be full/part time. 

Thanks!! 

You would have to ask the specific program, but our program would not allow you to switch. We only admit to part-time every other year, and you are admitted based on your interest in full-time or part-time. Once each program is full, it's full.

Yeah you'd really have to peition this and even then I'd be difficult. It might be easier now before you start the program than realizing it midway, so there's that. But from what I've gathered during several info sessions is that there are only certain classes offered to each program in any given semester/quarter so, let's say you realized this halfway through your program, they would have an incredibly difficult time arranging classes for you. They schedule all this stuff way in advance with all things taken into consideration. You'd essentially be way behind. Now full time to part time would be a different story. But definitely speak to someone about it if you feel you are truly committed. It is helpful that you will be bringing this matter up before school begins. But as the poster above me mentioned, some programs have rigid policies on this so there may be no way around it but to defer or reapply.

Yeah you'd really have to peition this and even then I'd be difficult. It might be easier now before you start the program than realizing it midway, so there's that. But from what I've gathered during several info sessions is that there are only certain classes offered to each program in any given semester/quarter so, let's say you realized this halfway through your program, they would have an incredibly difficult time arranging classes for you. They schedule all this stuff way in advance with all things taken into consideration. You'd essentially be way behind. Now full time to part time would be a different story. But definitely speak to someone about it if you feel you are truly committed. It is helpful that you will be bringing this matter up before school begins. But as the poster above me mentioned, some programs have rigid policies on this so there may be no way around it but to defer or reapply.

Thank you for your response, yes I was going to ask the admissions director before school starts in the fall, and before the date I need to accept/deny the admission offer by. I am just waiting for a few other (hopefully) acceptance offers to come in before I ask, I did apply to other programs as full time, but this one was local so when applying I thought I might continue at my current job, but now I am thinking I would want to focus on the program and finish in 2 years instead of 3 or 4. 

I did this very easily at my school. I applied to the part-time program and was offered a spot that I then accepted. About a month later I decided I'd prefer to be full-time. I emailed the program director and was simply switched over. Some programs might be more rigid about this, though. My advice is the sooner you request this the better. Good luck!

I did this very easily at my school. I applied to the part-time program and was offered a spot that I then accepted. About a month later I decided I'd prefer to be full-time. I emailed the program director and was simply switched over. Some programs might be more rigid about this, though. My advice is the sooner you request this the better. Good luck!

Thank you this makes me hopeful!