Took the GRE today...

isthisagoodidea

...and it seems like I have no idea how to interpret these scores. I'm in law school, where data on LSAT scores is precise and fairly predictive (and importantly, abundant!). I have no idea what to make of these numbers for a Sociology PhD:

Quant: 157

Verbal: 167

I know the verbal score is good, but is the quant score too low to keep me out of good programs? Not including any other factors, how do these numbers stand among the top programs?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think your quantitative score is bad for a social science, to the contrary it's good. Remember, physicists, mathematicians, and engineers also take the GRE and are expected to be far better at math than you. I've seen people in the biology forum with a Q score the same as yours get interviews and acceptances, we're not super quantitative, but still need to have some skill in it.

Your numbers *should* make any necessary cut offs for a department to get into "look at further" pile. Your verbal is great; your quantitative decent.  Focus now on other areas of your application so you make it into the round after that.

Really helpful, thanks everyone for the replies.

One more nagging question: how many LOR are typically needed for a Soc phd application? 2-3? And when do the Fall 2016 Applications open up for most schools?

Edited by isthisagoodidea

3, as a general rule. They'd like to see professors who know you in the classroom and in the research lab/work environment. 

While the due dates fluctuate between programs, the earliest due will be December 1st. Make certain to check the actual dates stated on your specific programs.

Also December 1st INCLUDES all your LOR, SOP, etc. So, make sure to contact the professors early, and if possible, request an earlier deadline than that from them. That way you can check in with the schools if they get them before the date passes. I ran into that problem one year, and three of my schools didn't get my LOR. Unfortunately, I had only applied to 5, so guess who didn't make it in :-P

I really don't know when they open up, other than "fall." Programs change on that. Some wait until all the fall semester registration is done, some have rolling submissions,etc. If the program does have a hard deadline (such as December 1st), they will not look at your application until after that deadline anyways. Instead of rushing to get one done and submitted, make sure you're thorough and have everything as polished as possible. I just get on the LOR moreso, because that's out of your hands, and you have to trust another person to complete them.

And, thanks, but I actually found the wait beneficial. I applied to a professional M.A. program that matched my current credentials, and was accepted quickly enough. So now I have the resources to strengthen my application for this roundabout. I might be able to even get into a better Ph.D. program with better funding that I was originally eligible for. 

Excellent verbal score. If you're going for top programs I would definitely suggest taking it again to try to improve your quantitative score. 

Edited by letstalkshop

Excellent verbal score. If you're going for top programs I would definitely suggest taking it again to try to improve your quantitative score. 

I think I can definitely get it up significantly if I practice, but I don't think I can match that verbal score again. Do programs take your top scores if you take it multiple times?

I'm also an MBA, so I've taken statistics and quantitative finance/economics courses, so I'm confident in my overall quant abilities.

I think I can definitely get it up significantly if I practice, but I don't think I can match that verbal score again. Do programs take your top scores if you take it multiple times?

I'm also an MBA, so I've taken statistics and quantitative finance/economics courses, so I'm confident in my overall quant abilities.

You can choose to send scores from one day of testing but you can't pick a quant score and a verbal score from different testing days. I think even if you think your verbal score could go down slightly it's worth taking it again to raise the quant, especially if you think that score does not reflect your ability.