Contacting PoIs

missmend

I know there's been discussion here in the past over whether or not to contact professors at prospective programs - some say it's helpful, some say it runs the risk of annoying professors, some decry it as a distraction, and some find it absolutely essential to their field or subfield. So instead of rehasing that debate, I'm looking for advice, as someone who's decided that contacted PoIs is needed.

People who've done it before - how have you phrased your emails, your questions, your research interests? I'm struggling with finding a good way to phrase things without sounding too overly formal or too star-struck/sycophantic. When did you find was the best time to do so (I know 'early', but rather 'do I find out when the school is on spring break so I won't bother them during a busy period')? 

@missmend,

Please remember that as an aspiring graduate student in history, you will be evaluated for your ability to do research.

I had searched through the forums and found more threads that been about whether to contact or not instead of phrasing. Still, overlooked that, and thanks for the link. 

I found it to be extremely beneficial, but it is also considered almost necessary for my field (psychology). I am not familiar with the proper etiquette for your field, but if it helps, my rule was that I only emailed professors when the website said they recommend contacting POIs before applying. When I did contact them, I just introduced myself briefly and asked if they knew whether they were taking new students in the upcoming year. These preliminary emails were never more than a few sentences. Keep it short, but make sure you have a purpose for contacting them. Also, do not ask anything that is clearly stated on the website or application itself.

If anything, their response (or lack of response) can give you insight into their personality and what you may be working with in the future. I had a friend who emailed a professor and received a nasty response. Needless to say she did not apply there. 

Good Luck!

I know there's been discussion here in the past over whether or not to contact professors at prospective programs - some say it's helpful, some say it runs the risk of annoying professors, some decry it as a distraction, and some find it absolutely essential to their field or subfield. So instead of rehasing that debate, I'm looking for advice, as someone who's decided that contacted PoIs is needed.

People who've done it before - how have you phrased your emails, your questions, your research interests? I'm struggling with finding a good way to phrase things without sounding too overly formal or too star-struck/sycophantic. When did you find was the best time to do so (I know 'early', but rather 'do I find out when the school is on spring break so I won't bother them during a busy period')? 

I would wait until late summer/early fall. I think the key is to keep the emails short. Professors are very busy. I would mention that you are interested in applying to their program this winter, have read X and Y publications and are intrigued by XYZ finding. You can mention something in your current research that is connected to what they have done. In all, the email should just be 1 paragraph in length. I would attach a CV and say that you would be happy to discuss your experience in more detail if they are interested.