Should I retake the GRE?

lior

Hi everyone,

I just took the GRE test last week, and i can't decide whether I should take it again. My scores are 155V, 158Q, 3.5 AWA. 

I want to apply for sociology programs. it doesn't have to be Berkeley or Princeton, but I do aim for some programs in the top 30's.

I have read tones of articles that doesn't really say anything and heard different opinions from some friends about it. some say that the verbal score is a bit low, while other say that it's fair enough, and that good recommendations and SOP would do the job. I know no one can really say something for sure, but if any of you have some experience in this process, or know anything about it, I would be very thankful. 

I don't know if it's related but - are international candidates (like me..) being less expected for a high verbal score?

Thank you all :)

Questions:

1. Do you really have the time considering you're applying/have applied for Fall 2015 (or are you actually applying for a later term)?

2. Are you sure the department is going to accept updated scores beyond the deadline?

If both of those answers are yes, I'd say you probably should because humanities programs require higher verbal and AWA scores.

Hi everyone,

I just took the GRE test last week, and i can't decide whether I should take it again. My scores are 155V, 158Q, 3.5 AWA. 

I want to apply for sociology programs. it doesn't have to be Berkeley or Princeton, but I do aim for some programs in the top 30's.

I have read tones of articles that doesn't really say anything and heard different opinions from some friends about it. some say that the verbal score is a bit low, while other say that it's fair enough, and that good recommendations and SOP would do the job. I know no one can really say something for sure, but if any of you have some experience in this process, or know anything about it, I would be very thankful. 

I don't know if it's related but - are international candidates (like me..) being less expected for a high verbal score?

Thank you all :)

Depends if you are applying for an MA or PhD.

If you are applying for a PhD I think your stats are really really low.

If you are applying for an MA they are a little low but will probably not get you thrown out of the admissions process right away.

Questions:

1. Do you really have the time considering you're applying/have applied for Fall 2015 (or are you actually applying for a later term)?

2. Are you sure the department is going to accept updated scores beyond the deadline?

If both of those answers are yes, I'd say you probably should because humanities programs require higher verbal and AWA scores.

I'm going to apply in fall 2015.

Thank you!

If you're aiming for top 30 PhD schools only, and have the time/money to invest in a prep program before retaking them- do so. That will help you improve your scores to where you want them to be. 

According to Magoosh, you can see some of the averages here: Social Science GRE Averages

I suggest aim for around 160 v/q and a 4.5-5 AWA. Your quant is fine, but the verbal could use some work. This isn't a 'finite number,' just a benchmark for where you would definitely make it past the number part of the application process. 

Hey Velua,

Thanks for the comment.

Can you please explain why? 

No offense, but 3.5 AW is really bad. You should get 4.5+, or at least 4.0. 158Q is also weak. Internationals get forgiveness a lot for low verbal, and your verbal may be OK (except you're in sociology, not math). Aside from verbal scores, international students typically get much higher scores, and the standards for them are much higher. This may apply more to the subject tests (where domestic applicants might need 700+ and international applicants might need 800+), but I think it still applies somewhat to the regular GRE.

I'm sure you can get into some programs with your current scores, but not a top 30 program.