NPSIA Fall 2015

Turk Turkelton

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who will be attending the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs in the Fall of 2015.

I'm in the MA program (Conflict Analysis and Conflict Resolution) and I'm curious to get to know some of my peers before September, seeing as we'll be seeing a lot of each other over the next few years.

Also, I completed my undergrad in Ottawa and I've been working for the federal government for the last year, so if you're a newcomer to the nation's capital, feel free to ask me any questions about living/studying in Ottawa.

Hopefully this post finds some of you future NPSI-ites out there! (yes, that's a common term for us in Ottawa)

Looking forward to introductions.

Hiiii, 

Thank you for starting this thread and looking forward to meeting you all in September. I am also in the MA program as well (Development Projects and Planning) and will be moving from Toronto by the end of August. I hope that we can all meet before starting the program. I completed my undergrad at the University in Toronto in International Development Studies and French and spent a few months travelling after graduation.

Are there any residential places near Carleton that are only a short walking distance from the school?

Thank you!!

Hi enfantdumonde,

Glad to have you on board! 

If you're looking for housing within a short walking distance of Carleton, your best bet will be Old Ottawa South or the Glebe neighbourhoods. 

There are also great places slightly further away (~15 mn walk) in Little Italy (north of CU) or the Prince of Wales/Hog's Back area (south of CU).

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

I've just accepted my offer to NPSIA yesterday so I'll be starting in September too! (Development Projects and Planning stream) I did my undergrad at uOttawa so I'm already in town, we should definitely try to arrange a meet-up before September!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Turk Turkelton for your advice and I will begin my search by mid-June.

And yes, I think it would be great to meet before September. We'll plan something soon.

I also created a Facebook group page for all the NPSIA 2017 alumni called "NPSIA Class of 2017", a space where we can discuss the program, clusters, courses, extracurricular activities,  internship/coop opportunities, events, residences and anything NPSIA-related.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there! 

I'll be starting at NPSIA in the fall, in the development projects and planning stream. I'm a female student moving from Winnipeg and I am looking for a roommate to share an apartment with. If anyone knows of any other females renting a room or looking for a roommate please let me know! I'd like to share with another female graduate student and am looking in the Glebe or Old Ottawa South areas. 

Thanks! 

D

Hello, 

Congratulations to everyone! I'll be in NPSIA's MIPIS program- anyone else starting that program this fall? Also, is the NPSIA group on Facebook also open to MIPIS students? :) 

I'm looking for roommates - I have a small, quiet, old dog, and want to find something near the university. I've heard the Glebe neighbourhood (as mentioned before) is nice! Ideally looking for 2 or 3 people to share a house with. 

Thanks!