Boston College School of Social Work

Angelicv

Hi all, just got accepted for fall 2015 to both Boston College and BU ... Any advice ? I'm from California so not very familiar with the schools but have heard great things about them both. Also, has anyone else been accepted?

Hi all, just got accepted for fall 2015 to both Boston College and BU ... Any advice ? I'm from California so not very familiar with the schools but have heard great things about them both. Also, has anyone else been accepted?

Hey I applied and was accepted to both. I ended up picking BC

One of the main reasons is because I was offered a $25,000 scholarship to BC and BU only offered $20,000 in loans.

Umm what else if you take out money...Ive heard BC is more clinical and BU is more macro (I'm doing clinical). I see BC as "better/more prestigious" than BU (that's just me).

When I've called BC they were very friendly, got to talk to an actual student and ask her anything, always pick up, super structured/organized, etc. BU was the opposite: impossible to reach someone, kind of nasty at times, "not with it".

I plan on doing school social work and BC gives you the opportunity to qualify to get your licensure. advising has "a plan" you have to follow during the 2 years so you can pass the test.

Thank you for your response! I'm siding more towards BC, I was granted the same type of aid for both schools :) if you don't mind me asking are you from the area? Have you actually visited the school? Thanks!!

Thank you for your response! I'm siding more towards BC, I was granted the same type of aid for both schools :) if you don't mind me asking are you from the area? Have you actually visited the school? Thanks!!

Nice :) scholarships are better than loans anytime lol.

No im actually from FL. Ill be visiting the school in June though. My bf/his family are from Boston and ive visited which has helped somewhat. Theyve helped a lot in regards to an insider's perspective

That's great news! I will be visiting in May hopefully! I hope I feel in the right place :) will be submitting my acceptance tomorrow. Good luck with everything! And please let us know of things you feel are of importance as a new graduate student along your journey. :)

That's great news! I will be visiting in May hopefully! I hope I feel in the right place :) will be submitting my acceptance tomorrow. Good luck with everything! And please let us know of things you feel are of importance as a new graduate student along your journey. :)

awesome that's great :) are you coming in as a transfer or regular out of curiosity? might end up in the same classes!

I'm a regular :) I just submitted my acceptance. Do you know if once they receive it they will send me more information regarding my email and classes? Or is it all on my own? I'm super new to all this, and not being from the area makes everything sooo much harder. 

Also, do you know of good places to live around? Thanks!

Hey I applied and was accepted to both. I ended up picking BC

One of the main reasons is because I was offered a $25,000 scholarship to BC and BU only offered $20,000 in loans.

Umm what else if you take out money...Ive heard BC is more clinical and BU is more macro (I'm doing clinical). I see BC as "better/more prestigious" than BU (that's just me).

When I've called BC they were very friendly, got to talk to an actual student and ask her anything, always pick up, super structured/organized, etc. BU was the opposite: impossible to reach someone, kind of nasty at times, "not with it".

I plan on doing school social work and BC gives you the opportunity to qualify to get your licensure. advising has "a plan" you have to follow during the 2 years so you can pass the test.

I'm sorry about your experience with BU. I am currently finishing my first year at BU. I was also coming from CA so if you have any questions you can ask away. I found that BU when I was looking at schools was "with it" and that is why I ended up coming here. It helped that I received a full scholarship. I actually love BU and found that BU has enormous prestige which is important when trying to find field placements. As far as clinical vs. macro. I am in the clinical track and get clinical classes. It is true you have to take certain requirements in macro (social policy, community development) but these courses are minimal. Profs are pretty great and so is my cohort and the 2nd years. 

I'm regular too :) I received an email recently in regards to classes but I sent my deposit in February. You can look at the bc msw newly admitted students page and a lot of the information youll need is on there (classes, registering, email, etc.)

haha i understand finding a place without being there is the worst. 

you should look at the bc off campus housing website https://offcampushousing.bc.edu/ 

you log in with your credentials and you can make a profile saying your looking for roommates or you can look at properties listed by other students. most of the places are good areas and by the school but they are pricey. you have options for 4 roommates, 2, studio, etc. just depends on your price range. 

message me if you have further questions or just on anything else :))

I'm a regular :) I just submitted my acceptance. Do you know if once they receive it they will send me more information regarding my email and classes? Or is it all on my own? I'm super new to all this, and not being from the area makes everything sooo much harder. 

Also, do you know of good places to live around? Thanks!

Im coming from FL. The original poster is coming from CA but I was the one with the bad experience. 

scholarships are definitely a main deciding factor which was one for me too. BC was just overall my 1st choice for what i needed

I'm sorry about your experience with BU. I am currently finishing my first year at BU. I was also coming from CA so if you have any questions you can ask away. I found that BU when I was looking at schools was "with it" and that is why I ended up coming here. It helped that I received a full scholarship. I actually love BU and found that BU has enormous prestige which is important when trying to find field placements. As far as clinical vs. macro. I am in the clinical track and get clinical classes. It is true you have to take certain requirements in macro (social policy, community development) but these courses are minimal. Profs are pretty great and so is my cohort and the 2nd years. 

Yes I second off campus housing site (very safe since you need a student id to access) and I checked craigslist as well. Boston is college heavy and full of young adults. It's also very expensive so everyone does roommates. I was lucky enough to actually visit there for a few days. The school is very beautiful deff hogwarts feel for sure with the gothic architecture.  As a Floridian it is a drastic change and I am pretty sure you will feel the same coming from California, Bless our hearts this upcoming winter. The staff was nice and accommodating there. It wasn't my number one choice but after my visit there I am pleased with my decision. Looking forward to hopefully meeting all you guys.  I will be starting summer so I can be of any help to you guys starting in the fall let me know.