Contacting Faculty: Etiquette

You may think this is a very silly question with an obvious response, but here I go.

At my undergrad (UVa), we used funny words a lot. It wasn't the campus, it was "Grounds." You weren't a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, you were a "First Year," "Second Year," "Third Year," "Fourth Year." And, a prof wasn't "Dr. So-and-So," she was "Professor So-and-So." Being one of those Wahoo tools and proud of my school, I continue to stick to Virginia-ese for the most part.

Now, I've begun contacting faculty at potential PhD programs. My partner saw an email that I sent--just to make this clear, not to a faculty member at UVa--and addressed to "Professor So-and-So." He thought that it was disrespectful and trivialized the fact that this person was a doctor. Yikes! The last thing I want to do is be disrespectful of a potential advisor! I didn't even really think about it. It was drilled into me for four years that "Professor" was a (if not "the") respectful way to address a professor. I suppose I should have given it more thought, and realized that at most other schools you call your teachers "Dr. So-and-So" every time.

As I continue to email faculty, I'll probably start addressing them as "Dr." I'm wondering, though, do you all think it is terribly disrespectful to address them as "Professor"?

Thanks!

I don't think it is the least bit disrespectful to call someone "Professor." In my job, I have to email faculty members every day, and I got into the habit of writing "Professor" as there are some folks who teach college and have an M.A. I stick with Professor, even when emailing potential advisers, because that is what they *are.*

You aren't calling them by their first name, or saying "Ms./Mr." and you aren't starting your email with "Hey!" so I think you are in the clear.

Honestly, anyone who was put off by being called "Professor X" is rather insufferable, and I would not want to have them for a mentor. :D

It's not disrespectful at all. If you think about it, there are many doctors who never get tenure track, so professors are actually a lucky and dedicated subset of all doctors. :lol:

Also, we use first, second, and third year at all Canadian schools. I'm sure there are many subtle differences in language between regions. Since professors deal with people from out of state and out of country all the time, they will easily figure out any differences, and will almost certainly not take offense. As long as you are generally polite and sincere, you will be fine.

I agree that using Professor as a title seems plenty respectful. For what it's worth, at the University of Michigan, where I did my undergrad, no one referred to professors as "Dr." either. That UVa term, at least, seems to have corollaries elsewhere. (As for some of the other ones, though, you're on your own! ;)