Should I Retake the Exam?

Moriba414

Hello all,

I'm looking to apply to some of the nation's premier programs in my field and am wondering how big of a factor my GRE is going to be.

As an undergrad, my final GPA was rather lackluster (2.7) for various reasons, which caused me some problems when it came time to apply to MPA programs. I managed to pick up a provisional acceptance at a decent state college, and have been doing extremely well. I currently hold a 4.0 in my program (which holds the same accreditation as the best public policy schools in the US), and am on pace to finish the entire program—with membership in the discipline's national honors fraternity—after having been there for a little more than a year. In that small window, I have also written a paper that is being considered for publishing in a peer reviewed journal, and have presented original research at a national conference.

With all of these accomplishments in such little time, how big of a deal do you all believe my GRE score will be given that my last attempt was only slightly above average?

I know that programs use the test to try and gauge a person's ability to complete graduate level work; but I feel like I've made a pretty solid case for myself when one considers the strong performance in my MPA program.

Am I overthinking this, or should I really worry about taking the test again?

What schools should I target for a MSCS program if I have the following GRE score (167Q, 162V, 4.5AWA)

I also think my other stats are good too like GPA (3.82), work experience (4yrs), and pubs. (1 pub + 1 patent).

My weakness though is most of that work is in embedded systems and not high level CS. I am targeting for AI + robotics.

@SDxx

Honestly, your stats are brilliant. With that GPA, GRE score and having a patent and publication under you belt, you'd want to apply to the top 10 programs in your field. Just apply to all the top 10 I'd say.Good luck

The Math subject test is not easy. If you were a math major, it could help to ace it (meaning 80%ile or better). If not, you'd be hard pressed to break 50%ile. I suspect the Physics GRE is similarly difficult. These aren't exams you can just prepare for in a couple months.

The Math subject test is not easy. If you were a math major, it could help to ace it (meaning 80%ile or better). If not, you'd be hard pressed to break 50%ile. I suspect the Physics GRE is similarly difficult. These aren't exams you can just prepare for in a couple months.

Um... that's kind of what I did, actually. I was not a math major or even math minor. I spent an hour or so a week on Saturdays for a few weeks doing practice problems to prepare for the GRE. Then I took it and got >80th percentile on verbal and quantitative portions. The questions are just SAT questions. The math isn't advanced, they just try to confuse you with the wording.

I said the Math subject GRE, not the Math section of the regular GRE. Everyone knows the Math on the regular GRE is a complete joke.

That certainly explains my confusion on the matter. Thanks for the clarification. Everything I've heard about subject tests does suggest to me that they're intense (my program didn't require me to take any so I don't have direct experience).

Hi Moriba414,

Your original post in this thread did not include any information on your GRE score. You also mentioned your 'last attempt', so did you take the GRE more than once?

So, to start, I'm curious about your GRE score(s), including the sectional scores.

Your overall profile sounds really strong though. Do you have any stats on the MPA program that you're interested in (and how your GRE score compares)?

GRE masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Yeah. All your other stats look very impressive, it would be a shame not to get in because of that. Try to at least hit 150V (155+ if you can), and increase to 4.5A if you can.

No!! it's not a joke)

it is a shameful fact!!

Where are you applying? what are their stats? Their graduate admissions websites say anything about GRE-V or combined? Are you below a cutoff? 

How is your research fit at those programs?

Do you have the extra USD$200, time and energy to retake?

The answer(to your initial question) can be anything from "retake or the V will have you rejected" to "are you insane? you will be accepted 1 hour after you submit your application!" so...

No!! it's not a joke)

it is a shameful fact!!

Well, with your 8 publications, 12 conferences, respectable QR score, good GPA, and being 10 pts shy of a perfect PGRE score... ...I had to ask  :P

You are in a very tough spot:  your AW score is most likely good enough I would imagine, but that VR score is abysmally low for what is otherwise a great set of stats.  You need to decide if it is worth it or not to spend another $190 on the chance to earn a higher VR score (or all three).  Before you lay anything down into concrete I would strongly suggest running this by program coordinators, professors, and other POIs at the programs of intended application to see what they say.  

...or make the decision yourself, and don't trust the opinions of others. If they're wrong, it's not their career that takes a tumble. If your LORs are as strong as your stats, another $195 is nothing in the long run.

I always assume that an accomplished professional( he has 8 publications!) takes every bit of advice with a grain of salt.

Fair enough. I kind of doubt program coordinators would say anything useful (pretty much any program FAQ will say "we don't pre-evaluate applicants"). Professors could possibly be helpful at your target institution if you make a good impression first, and your LOR writers would probably say "yeah, you have a chance with your current scores," almost regardless of the truth.

guys, I gonna apply to these univ. is there any chance ?
Princeton 
caltech 
Chicago 
university of California, San Diego 
Texas Austin 
Boston 
Maryland college park 
Wisconsin-Madison 

Edited by apolo

guys, I gonna apply to these univ. is there any chance ?

Princeton 

caltech 

Chicago 

university of California, San Diego 

Texas Austin 

Boston 

Maryland college park 

Wisconsin-Madison 

What program? What degree? What research area?

Give us something to talk about :)

I assume Ph.D. in physics? Are you international? I don't know much about physics but that sounds like a high-reaching list. You should apply to them, but maybe also add a less selective school or two.

What program? What degree? What research area?

Give us something to talk about :)

right. phd physics, Yes I'm international! research areas : plasma and laser optics!!

right. phd physics, Yes I'm international! research areas : plasma and laser optics!!

I think you do have a good chance of admission, you are applying to top 10 programs, then some top 15, then BU(relatively low in ranking, but good institution overall and still over the mark of the top 50).

Your stats are really impresive, so if you could contact faculty early, you might not have to retake the GRE(your subject score is impressive).

I think if you can get a >110 TOEFL, you need not worry.(If Princeton or Caltech are your dream school, I guess it wouldn't hurt to retake the GRE).

Usually, funding for international students is hard to find at public institutions. Keep an eye on that.

Edited by Mechanician2015