2009 NSF GRFP

soychailatte

I am really confused- when is the deadline for 2009? The NSF website doesn't seem to be updated. Does anyone know?

thanks!

Assuming they don't change their timeline, deadlines will be in the ballpark as the 2008 dates -

November 03, 2008

Interdisciplinary Fields of Study

November 05, 2008

Mathematical Sciences; Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering

November 06, 2008

Social Sciences; Psychology; Geosciences

November 07, 2008

Life Sciences

November 10, 2008

Chemistry; Physics and Astronomy

November 12, 2008

Engineering

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm gearing up to apply for the 2009 NSF GRFP...but I'm a little confused as to which research I should use for my proposal. I'm going to be a senior this year, I've got tons of research experience, and am currently working in a lab. Should I use the research I'm completing now for my proposal? Or should I simply add it to my list of previous work and find a new project to write about? Do applicants normally pore over the literature looking for areas where they can envision the next step or do they stay within their comfort zone for writing the proposal?

• 2 weeks later...

So I am a newbie thinking about applying to clinical psych ph.d. programs.

What is the NSF thing you are talking about?

Is the NSF thing a grant to add to funding of your exisiting Ph.D. stipend?

Also, which are the top 10 schools in terms of stipend offered?

More money is good, I realize program quality is important too to balance in the equation.

And finally which are the Ph.D. Psych programs that guarantee completion in 5 years?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
So I am a newbie thinking about applying to clinical psych ph.d. programs.

What is the NSF thing you are talking about?

Is the NSF thing a grant to add to funding of your exisiting Ph.D. stipend?

Also, which are the top 10 schools in terms of stipend offered?

More money is good, I realize program quality is important too to balance in the equation.

And finally which are the Ph.D. Psych programs that guarantee completion in 5 years?

Thanks!

Research skills are your friend, especially when applying Ph.D. programs :P.

There is plenty of information on the NSF GRFP at their website: http://www.nsfgrfp.org/

The NSF GRFP is for basic science research, not clinical.

Ranking schools by stipend makes little sense, since your match with the department will determine where you might actually get in. If money is that big a concern grad school probably isn't the best option for you. It's true that some schools have prohibitively terrible aid, but as long as a stipend is liveable there are many other more important factors to consider in your search, in my opinion.

The last question made me laugh, because the only way to guarantee completion in five years is for you to work hard and be a bit lucky (as many life events or logistical issues can delay graduation). It is not the job of graduate departments to hold your hand through this process or guarentee steady progress - that is entirely up to you. Some schools put limits on how long you can be in a program (usually 7-10 years) but I don't know of any that guarantee any sort of timeline for graduation. It's not realistic nor is it their job to do so.

Hey guys,

I'm gearing up to apply for the 2009 NSF GRFP...but I'm a little confused as to which research I should use for my proposal. I'm going to be a senior this year, I've got tons of research experience, and am currently working in a lab. Should I use the research I'm completing now for my proposal? Or should I simply add it to my list of previous work and find a new project to write about? Do applicants normally pore over the literature looking for areas where they can envision the next step or do they stay within their comfort zone for writing the proposal?

According to my own + friends' experiences + advice from these websites http://www.stanford.edu/~pgbovine/fellowship-tips.htm and http://transientneha.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-apply-for-nsf-graduate-research.html, your proposal should have basis in your previous research experience but not simply a direct extension of it. They like to see something more adventurous but realistic and practical at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, another newbie here - a lot of the comments I've read so far have already been a great help!

I was wondering what you guys think about class projects when it comes to research experience. I've taken a lot of classes where I actually designed, carried out, and reported on an experiment. I have real laboratory experience as well, but a lot of my experience at taking the lead and designing the experiment myself is from the class projects. Has anyone else described something similar in their research experience essay?

Thanks!

That's $66 million for the first year. Pocket change for the agency that has just got a $5 billion budget for FY 2010.

Last year they are saying 900 - 1600 awards.

This time they did NOT give a range, they give ONE number, something is boiling up.

The award payments starts late next year. The stimulus $$$ will have been long entered the system.

Hi everyone, another newbie here - a lot of the comments I've read so far have already been a great help!

I was wondering what you guys think about class projects when it comes to research experience. I've taken a lot of classes where I actually designed, carried out, and reported on an experiment. I have real laboratory experience as well, but a lot of my experience at taking the lead and designing the experiment myself is from the class projects. Has anyone else described something similar in their research experience essay?

Thanks!

Sounds like you've had a lot of good experience to write about! I mentioned one of my class projects in my research proposal essay, because it was an extensive design project that was relevant to what I was proposing - in other words, it made my proposal more convincing because I have prior experience from the project.

Hi everyone,

I'm also new to the forum and am wondering what weight is given to the subject GRE. I havent taken a bio class in a couple years and am pretty sure my score will be pretty low if I take the bio subject test. My GRE scores are not that great (1400), but my GPA is 4.0.

Also, I am NOT planning to go into a PhD program, I have already been informally accepted as an M.S. student at my current university due to an advisor who wants me to continue research in his ecology lab. What are the chances of getting considered as an M.S. applicant (and in life sciences)?

Also I did an NSF REU last summer, so I'm hoping that counts for something because I worked my ass off all summer at a federal agency and am trying to get my research published.

Thanks, good luck everyone with their application.

Hi everyone,

I'm also new to the forum and am wondering what weight is given to the subject GRE. I havent taken a bio class in a couple years and am pretty sure my score will be pretty low if I take the bio subject test. My GRE scores are not that great (1400), but my GPA is 4.0.

Also, I am NOT planning to go into a PhD program, I have already been informally accepted as an M.S. student at my current university due to an advisor who wants me to continue research in his ecology lab. What are the chances of getting considered as an M.S. applicant (and in life sciences)?

Also I did an NSF REU last summer, so I'm hoping that counts for something because I worked my ass off all summer at a federal agency and am trying to get my research published.

Thanks, good luck everyone with their application.

How much time do you theoretically have to study and take the bio GRE? You can take it (if you have time/money) and then not send the score if it's bad. Your GPA already speaks for you anyway. I think the NSF REU will definitely help, but since they give 3 years of funding over a 5-year period, my hunch is that they will favor the PhD or MS/PhD applicants over the MS-only... but it's worth a try in any event!

Thanks for your response, modularblues. The Bio Subject Test isnt till Nov. 7, and NSF will even pay the test fee if I sign up for it solely for the purpose of the GRFP app (there are some rules regarding reporting your scores). I dont think I will have time to study for it as much as I would need to to get a decent score by then with my current school and work schedule. Most MS programs I looked at before getting the green light at my current univ. dont require a subject test, so I didnt even think about taking it till I saw the GRFP supplemental materials section. I also plan to be in my MS program 2 years max, and I doubt I can carry over funds if I start a PhD program researching something else. Sounds like I have 2 strikes against me for such a competitive program. While the funding would be nice, I think I will look into other fellowships & scholarships more suited for M.S. degree programs. Thanks and good luck all!

I am a current PhD student that is planning to apply for the NSF. I currently hold an MBA. I have made a career change from the non-NSF sponsored field of business to an NSF sponsored field, so I plan to write the 1 page extenuating circumstances essay. Has anyone written this essay before? More importantly, is anyone aware of a successful applicant that wrote the extenuating circumstances essay (or is it a definitive way of sending the application to the "not it" file?). Any advice would be appreciated.

cwd--

As someone who applied for the GRF last year and (miraculously) got one, I would recommend giving it a shot. I'm not sure how heavily GRE subject tests are weighted (there isn't one for my area of study, so it wasn't an issue for me). I suspect, however, that they are probably ranked considerably lower than the written parts of the application. As for applying to a master's program rather than a doctoral one, it shouldn't hurt you at all. If I remember correctly, you aren't required to specify that on the application, so unless you mention it in your statement, the judges won't know.

babaababo--

I definitely don't think that writing the extenuating circumstances essay would automatically get your application thrown into the garbage pile. If you can convincingly show why you made the switch and that you are committed to and prepared for research in your new field, I don't think it would be a problem at all.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I should add that I think the GRE scores almost certainly count for something in whatever magical formula it is the NSF uses to select their fellowship recipients, but what is most important is the overall picture your application presents, rather than just a single aspect of it. You might, however, be able to get away with not sending the subject scores at all. Do the instructions specifically say they're required, or are they just recommended?

For what it's worth:

I signed up to have the NSF pay for my subject test, but I never ended up taking it. So obviously, I never had to scores sent... yet and still, I received the NSF award. So, no, the subject test is not necessary.

Secondly, I had GRE scores in the 1200s -- which is NOT the greatest score -- but again, it didn't prevent my application from being positively reviewed.

Good luck this year guys!

• 3 weeks later...

1400's not perfect but it's a damn good score. Paired with a 4.0 GPA, that's a strong application you have there.

EDIT: I should add that I think the GRE scores almost certainly count for something in whatever magical formula it is the NSF uses to select their fellowship recipients, but what is most important is the overall picture your application presents, rather than just a single aspect of it. You might, however, be able to get away with not sending the subject scores at all. Do the instructions specifically say they're required, or are they just recommended?

This is basically correct. I believe the reviewers use logistic regression to model which applicants will be most "successful" and assign fellowships accordingly (with GPA, verbal and quant GREs, subject GREs, sex, minority/non-minority status, and mean z-score of reviews for reference letters and essays entered as terms in the equation). So assuming your GPA and GREs are high enough to get you considered in the first place, they merely become one component of a larger equation.

Hello Everyone!

I am an undergraduate with strange circumstances and would like some advice. I am applying for the NSF GRFP but I have incompletes on my transcripts due to illness last semester. I am currently out of college and volunteering with a research group in Argentina. Since I am in Argentina for the next 5 months, I cannot make up the incompletes until March 2010. Has anyone applied for the NSF GRFP with incompletes on their transcripts? If so, did you win or receive honorable mention? I am concerned that this will negatively impact my application and am wondering if it would behoove me to address the incompletes in my personal statement essay. Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Also, past recipients of the NSF fellowship, would you be willing to review application essays and give advice?

Thanks for your help! :D

Viva-

How are the incompletes listed on your transcript?

My initial rxn is to not comment about them in your essays. Based on my last two applications, I can say that they do not spend much time reading them. Last year, one of the reviewers did not even know what grad school I was at. If anything say something on the physical application or have people mention it in the letter of recs. You want your essay to be purely about the topic asked.

I would not be suprised if they did not notice the incompletes. You may also want to see if your registrar can include something about them being finished in the spring with the transcript they send.

I agree with mtlve. The comments I got on my application last year focused on my essays and rec letters. 2 of the reviewers mentioned my gpa and that was it. The nice thing about nsf is that they focus on the picture provided by you and your recommenders rather than a transcript because they realize that curricula and courses will be vastly different across different universities and you can't draw comparisons from them.

Focus on your research plan, your reviewers will be professors as close to your field as they can get them and they will have at least some familiarity with the topic of study and will be able to spot fluff right away.