2009 NSF GRFP

soychailatte

What is this 'extenuating circumstances' essay? I haven't heard of it before...

Not really switching fields (switching sub-fields is more like it) but as some of the old-timers know I was "out of action" for many years. Would this qualify?

The extenuating circumstances essay is an optional 1 page essay.

Basically it gives applicants who feel that their circumstances have had a negative impact on their application to explain themselves. For example if you have a semester of withdraws/incompletes because of some personal issue or other outside factor that required you to take time away from school, your transcript would have that semester but no explanation as to why. If you choose to switch fields, all of your background will be in field A while your research plan would be in field B which generally makes for a disjointed application. The essay gives you a chance to explain.

It is pretty much up to you if you want to write the essay. If you feel that your circumstances are strong enough that they've had noticeable effects on your application then you should definitely look into it.

I agree with mtlve. The comments I got on my application last year focused on my essays and rec letters. 2 of the reviewers mentioned my gpa and that was it. The nice thing about nsf is that they focus on the picture provided by you and your recommenders rather than a transcript because they realize that curricula and courses will be vastly different across different universities and you can't draw comparisons from them.

Focus on your research plan, your reviewers will be professors as close to your field as they can get them and they will have at least some familiarity with the topic of study and will be able to spot fluff right away.

Well at least I don't have to worry if that is true. Last fall i got a bunch of C's and NC's (No-Credit, like a fail but doesn't hurt your GPA) because of family issue and economic crisis that prevent me to switch jobs, and I am forced to work more for no OT pay.

• 1 month later...

Caffeinated: I suggest having one of your recommenders address your ICs/low grades in their letters. It addresses the problem without making you seem whiny (and also gives the explanation some degree of credibility). You really want to focus on the positive in your application--it is NOT time to dwell on your negative experiences. That being said, reviewers DO notice if there are red flags in the application, and it is best to make sure that they aren't left with any outstanding questions after they finish reading. Same goes with grad school apps.

Decaf: each appliation is evaluated independently each year--which means that regardless of whether you got an Honorable Mention the year before, it doesn't increase or decrease your chances of winning the award at all. Your reviewers (2-3, depending on if your application makes it past the first round) will almost certainly also be different people year-to-year as well. Not to mention the fact that your competitors will be different each year you apply, and that (probably more than anything) determines who gets funded.

Good luck!

Does anyone out there have any info on how getting an honorable mention affects getting the award the next year? I've heard horror stories of people getting a HM, and then nothing the next year!

It doesn't. I mean, ideally you can improve upon your application because you know you're on the right track, but each application cycle is independent. I'm pretty sure they don't even look at whether you got an HM before.

Also, I have had friends who had their IM score dropped specifically because of their GPA or GRE score, despite the quality of their essays. You absolutely want to address them if you have a problem there... the reviewers will certainly notice, so you want to stop any argument that your numbers reduce the quality of your application. It is very stupid.

Does anyone out there have any info on how getting an honorable mention affects getting the award the next year? I've heard horror stories of people getting a HM, and then nothing the next year!

This is all conjecture:

I won HM both of the past two years. I imagine that the reviewer will see that I won HM twice before (since I can list it in "Other Experience" as a "significant academic honor"), and will think to himself "dumbmatter must at least be pretty good". So that might bias the reviewer a little towards giving me a better grade. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Edited by dumbmatter