Switching grad schools midway (or in between the first/second year)?

metallocene2015

Hi everyone !

So I didn't get into my top choice school but was accepted into my safety school. I've heard that people will first apply to a lower ranked (safer) school, do research there for a few one or two years and then apply to top programs. However, I've never heard actual success stories from people I know- has anyone seen or was actually one such success story ? Aside from potential difficulties with convincing POIs, is such an approach actually feasible ? My current plan is to continue start my Masters at my safety school, apply to another grad school this fall, start attending it next spring and then transfer to another (better) grad school 1 or 2 years later. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

I think it makes a lot more sense to do research full time for a couple years. Switching grad schools can be a mess and professors may not support decisions and may be unwilling to write LORS. If you do research for a couple years then you will make more progress than in the first year of an MS or PhD program since you will not have to take classes. You will also set yourself up for a terrific LOR if you do good work.

The majority of international students actually finished their master degrees elsewhere first before applying for PhD in the US. Your MS experience will help you a lot and convince the admission committee of your suitability to their program.

Unfortunately having a Master degree from US university might be perceived as "failure" to get a PhD, so you might want to be careful to avoid such perception.

I personally know a few students, US students, who completed a masters degree and went on to do a PhD at high-level, respected schools (top 10). The majority weren't sure they wanted to start a PhD program at the time of undergrad graduation so they completed a masters and found out they did. It was never viewed as a negative and I believe a masters would only be perceived as negative if you were awarded one from a school that does not give them (you did not finish the PhD program). Good luck!

Note that whisky is referring to people who actually completed a terminal masters program--not master out of a PhD program. Its difficult to pull off transferring between PhD programs in the same field of study because departments don't like to create ill will.

Thanks for all the replies guys ! I actually will be starting a terminal masters program next semester- I simply don't plan to finish it both because I don't feel like my current lab and advisor are not good research fits and also because I don't want my GRE's to expire. My current plan is to get out after 1 semester (or max 2 semesters) and then apply directly for a PhD program abroad. Perhaps that's a better idea ? 

• 3 weeks later...

I started in a biology phd program doing synthesis in a chemistry lab, I guess you could consider me a chemical biologist. I found I loved synthesis but that my program was a poor fit for me to do it for my entire PhD. So, I am taking a terminal Master's after 2 years and starting a PhD in a chemistry department in the Fall. If you want to go purely by "rankings" I did move up the latter, but not to a top program even though I applied to a few. Most importantly though, I am going to be with a respected program, a well known PI in the field, and the research fits my interests. 

The process of leaving with a terminal Master's wasn't too difficult, but I had clear reasons for doing it and my current PI was aware of my intentions before I officially joined the lab. My advice is to let your program (or at the very least your PI) know your intentions before you apply again. This is important because it might look bad to apply and not have a letter of recommendation from your current PI or anyone within your program. In fact, I had to have a letter from my current PI, it was a condition in many of the applications (since I wasn't a true "transfer" student, nor a true Master's student, though your situation is a little different). 

My suggestion: Do what's best for yourself and your goals, but try not to burn bridges. If you'll be doing research, get a publication out of it.