CSU's Chico vs. Fresno vs. Sacramento

Okay so based on at least 2 of these websites i'm getting a vague picture of each of these schools.

If anyone went there as an undergrad in comm disorders or even just applied here already and can give some insight on any unusual requirements compared to other schools or extra classes that other schools didn't need you to take.

Good experiences and easy application processes are also welcome news if those exist hahaha.

Basically i'm trying to get a feel for each program.  Are some more responsive than others, does anyone know if one prefers their own students?  

I'll be bugging them via email and the phone anyway but it never hurts to get some other perspectives as well.

Thanks!

Sac State is the most responsive, as I have talked to the director of the program twice over the phone. Chico is pretty good about responding to emails too. Never contacted fresno.

Are you in or out of field? If the latter, only sac will take you, and that's for their second bachelor program.

My daughter done her undergrad from CSU Sac and currently doing her master's at CSU Fresno and she loves it. I heard Chico takes their own undergrads.

Awesome this is what I'm looking for I don't live close enough to the area to hear about Chico taking their own students! Did you daughter have a strong sign language background? From fresno's website I feel like I may be at a disadvantage unless I started taking some classes.

Awesome this is what I'm looking for I don't live close enough to the area to hear about Chico taking their own students! Did you daughter have a strong sign language background? From fresno's website I feel like I may be at a disadvantage unless I started taking some classes.

My daughter done her undergrad from CSU Sac and currently doing her master's at CSU Fresno and she loves it. I heard Chico takes their own undergrads.

That's awesome that your daughter is at Fresno. I'm currently an undergrad at there.

No, all she had one required sign language class, no sign language background at all.

Thank you!  I haven't taken any sign language in my program so was worried i'd be at a disadvantage!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will be attending Fresno this fall!

Anything that set them apart when you made your decision?  Congrats!  I'm going to go on a tour there in the next couple weeks to get a better feel for their school!

Anything that set them apart when you made your decision?  Congrats!  I'm going to go on a tour there in the next couple weeks to get a better feel for their school!

I had to choose betweenn Fresno State and Idaho State University.  They both seemed like really good programs but it ultimately came down to not wanting to leave California, wanting all my licensure to be from California (didn't want to do extra paperwork or jump through hoops if I went out of state), no prerequisites required (I would have had to do 3 at Idaho) and I would have a bit less debt coming out of Fresno in 2 years.  I also heard that they had a good clinic and I was interested in the Autism Center the university is affiliated with.

I went up to Fresno a few weeks ago to look for apartments and check out the school.  It was graduation weekend so no tours were available, but I got to walk around campus, check out the bookstore, and find the building where the clinic and classes will be.  The campus is beautiful.  The area was very flat with no tall buildings or parking structures.  Although it was nice, coming from Orange County and undergrad in San Diego the landscape was a bit different then what I was expecting.

Awesome! Do you know if there is a facebook group yet?

I haven't heard or seen anything about a facebook group yet.  I'm hoping one comes up soon.

I had to choose betweenn Fresno State and Idaho State University.  They both seemed like really good programs but it ultimately came down to not wanting to leave California, wanting all my licensure to be from California (didn't want to do extra paperwork or jump through hoops if I went out of state), no prerequisites required (I would have had to do 3 at Idaho) and I would have a bit less debt coming out of Fresno in 2 years.  I also heard that they had a good clinic and I was interested in the Autism Center the university is affiliated with.

I went up to Fresno a few weeks ago to look for apartments and check out the school.  It was graduation weekend so no tours were available, but I got to walk around campus, check out the bookstore, and find the building where the clinic and classes will be.  The campus is beautiful.  The area was very flat with no tall buildings or parking structures.  Although it was nice, coming from Orange County and undergrad in San Diego the landscape was a bit different then what I was expecting.

I haven't heard or seen anything about a facebook group yet.  I'm hoping one comes up soon

They have an Autism center?  Gosh their website is severely lacking in good information.  Or i'm bad at finding  it  :blink: haha.  Because that is definitely something i'd be interested in.  Oi it's probably a good idea for me to come check it out then if it was unexpected, b/c i'll be coming from a similar environment.  I'd really like somewhere that has a few fun things nearby so i'll have to yelp while i'm there and see what they have to offer.  If I put them on my application list can I contact you in the future to see how your first semester went?  

Thanks for the info!

I haven't heard or seen anything about a facebook group yet.  I'm hoping one comes up soon.

Would you be interested in starting one? I messaged you! :)