100% happy with your decision?

Hi all, for those who have accepted, I'm just wondering if you are 100% happy with your final decision? I keep feeling like I had to let go of an amazing opportunity because of cost but I need to stop torturing myself and just be happy! so anyone else?

For those of us who had to consider more than one option, it's going to feel like a compromise of sorts. But, just think about how fortunate we are to even HAVE a choice! I'm choosing the state school over the private school because it's half the tuition and half the driving distance.

Honestly, I feel the same way. It was hard to let go, but at the same time I know the cost I would've incurred would have been extremely high and taken forever to pay back. I've been up and down all day but I'm glad I'm not alone. And hopefully someone else will appreciate the opportunity to go to the schools we turned down. 

I'm definitely grateful and blessed! And I am happy that another person will be given an opportunity I just hope I didn't sell myself short just because of cost.

And yup I choose my instate school because I just didn't want to have the financial burden later. Hopefully I get over it and feel satisfied with my decision. At the end if the regardless we are on our way to becoming SLPs! :)

Oh boy i'm the opposite of all of you... I chose the more expensive "dream" school over a basically free in-state school (was offered a GA on top of already cheap tuition). Honestly though, in my case I'll have a better quality of life during grad school (better weather/awesome city area) and I'll be more than happy to settle in the area after grad school and use those contacts I develop through externships. There's a little nagging voice in the back of my head that is slapping me for giving up free school, but I would probably be totally miserable for two years, and then I would have to relocate anyway. I think I won't be 100% sure/happy until i'm actually there, but right now I'm like 97.8% sure that I made the right choice, and excited to start in the fall!! 

Yes! This was my first choice. I was limited to local schools, but lucky to have many to choose to apply to, and more than one acceptance. Of course there are still little "what-ifs" in my head - like did I waste a really big opportunity by not choosing xxx or how would my life/career be different if I make a different decision. But my initial reasons for my first choice being my first choice still stand, and in the end what matters most is having that education and that degree. 2 years is NOTHING in the long run.

I am completely happy with my decision. I did a lot of research when applying to my schools so I knew from day one where I wanted to end up. The place I am going could not be better for me in terms of opportunities and funding. I was very concerned about cost and now I can sleep a little easier. 

However, I am weird in that I get anxious rejecting my other acceptances! I get the obnoxious thought of "what if I my top school made a mistake in accepting me and then they retract my admission?! And then I end up turning down my other acceptances and then I have nowhere to go?!" 

That is my very illogical thought process. Of course I know this isn't real but my imagination likes to run wild after all this graduate school stress! 

I also can't help but wonder if I would have a more exciting graduate school experience if I went somewhere different, but I need to keep in mind that I am there for the schooling and I can go wherever I want after I'm done. Perks of being in a field of high demand!

I am completely happy with my decision. I did a lot of research when applying to my schools so I knew from day one where I wanted to end up. The place I am going could not be better for me in terms of opportunities and funding. I was very concerned about cost and now I can sleep a little easier. 

However, I am weird in that I get anxious rejecting my other acceptances! I get the obnoxious thought of "what if I my top school made a mistake in accepting me and then they retract my admission?! And then I end up turning down my other acceptances and then I have nowhere to go?!" 

That is my very illogical thought process. Of course I know this isn't real but my imagination likes to run wild after all this graduate school stress! 

I also can't help but wonder if I would have a more exciting graduate school experience if I went somewhere different, but I need to keep in mind that I am there for the schooling and I can go wherever I want after I'm done. Perks of being in a field of high demand!

I'm glad I'm not the only one nervous about rejecting other acceptances! I only got one acceptance initially, and was accepted off the wait list at one of my other top choices yesterday. It doesn't make sense for me to go there because it's no better than the school I've already decided to go to and it's much more expensive - but it still took me wayyyy too long to send the e-mail denying my acceptance!!!

Also, CONGRATS on getting off the wait list at SCSU!! I know how crazy their process was this year. That's so exciting. :)

Lol I have been having the same illogical thoughts! What if i deny one school and then the school I accept made a mistake with my acceptance offer?! Haha high five for dillusional graduate school stress.

Glad I'm not alone in feeling not 100% sure about the choice I made! I was accepted to a few schools (which I really didn't imagine happening and am super grateful for), and there were aspects of each school that I liked, so the decision was SO hard! I know that in the grand scheme of things I'll end up being able to work as an SLP no matter where I go so there wasn't really any "wrong" decision, but I keep hoping that I won't regret missing out on what the other schools had to offer. But now that I've made my final decision I'm trying to stop thinking about the "what-ifs" and focus more on what to look forward to in the fall! Congrats that we made it this far! :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one nervous about rejecting other acceptances! I only got one acceptance initially, and was accepted off the wait list at one of my other top choices yesterday. It doesn't make sense for me to go there because it's no better than the school I've already decided to go to and it's much more expensive - but it still took me wayyyy too long to send the e-mail denying my acceptance!!!

Also, CONGRATS on getting off the wait list at SCSU!! I know how crazy their process was this year. That's so exciting. :)

That sounds like me! I had one acceptance to start out with and my other ones came from waitlists! I think it is so painful to decline admission because we put so much time and effort into each application. Congrats to you too! How exciting that must be! You made a good decision by going with the program that is cheaper and equally as good as the more costly one. I was not expecting to be taken off the waitlist at SCSU; especially since I knew there were some fiercely qualified people I was up against. I think interview day is what scared me silly when I heard everyone's stories and qualifications. I also heard all kinds of rumors almost daily since I go here which didn't help matters. Welp, they can't take back the acceptance now so I won't complain!

I also think it is normal to feel some anxiety about making the big graduate school decision. It wouldn't be normal if we didn't have some worries or "what if" thoughts. The decisions we make now directly impact our future!

It's so encouraging to hear that a lot of you turned down the more expensive out of state school! Everyone I've talked to has told me to go to the instate school as long as it is accredited and is acceptable overall. Also, I'm getting a full-ride in state, so it would have been ridiculous to accept a $60,000 pile of debt instead, but it's still so hard to turn down your dream school! 

Yea I figured go to the state school and have no financial burden and then get to decide where I want to go and actually enjoy the place. I figured grad school will be taking my time no matter where I am, it's not like I am even going to have time to be exploring this new city new area! So I am happy that I will still be getting the education I need and will not have that financial burden for the next 10 to 20 years! (because you also have to consider interest!) But congratulations to all, whether you accepted your dream school or your instate school

Unlike all the previous posters, I picked the strongest program (which also happened to be the most expensive).  :rolleyes:

I really think I'm going to the best program in the country. As such, I expect to receive top-notch training as well as the best career opportunities afterwards - job placements and/or PhD route.

It came down to this: Which would I rather live with? Debt, or regret of knowing I turned down an amazing opportunity? 

I feel confident that I will be able to pay of my student loans in 5-ish years. Make no mistake, debt is a huge undertaking. But I'm not foolish with my money and consider this a wise investment in my future. 

Edited by Saila09

I feel the same way as the first few posts. One of the programs I was accepted into had more of what I was looking for but I would have had to pay for housing and have my own transportation but my current decision takes those burdens off of me. I've paid admission fee for SJU but I still have my fingers crossed for Brooklyn College which has what I'm interested in and is the cheapest option for me.

I figured that I would still be able to pursue my passion once I'm in the field and that I can go anywhere when it's all over anyhow.

I had some initial panic about my decision too, but I think it's important to remember that we are all going to be a little on edge until we actually get started in our programs and get a better grasp on things. New places, new people, new schools, new professors, different rent and tuition, it's all a bit nerve-racking but we are capable individuals and will EASILY figure it all out! We are all extremely smart and capable human beings to have gotten this far, don't worry too much about what the future has to hold! 

I'm sure we are all anxious to continue this journey to SLP, but all programs have strengths and you will get a great education and a wonderful career no matter what. Embrace your opportunities! :) 

Buyer's remorse can be expected when making a huge decision like this! I am in the go cheaper camp as well (as long as the school you chose will give you everything you need). No shame in that! Either way you're gonna be a great SLP!