need msw program advice

mswperson

Hello,

I was just accepted into my msw program. It is an online program. I need some advice on problems I am having so far. I just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction continuing with this program and that I shouldn't be fearful to continue:

1) Do other programs NOT allow you to register for classes yourself?

With this program, they say students can't register for their own classes. That's fine, but when I ask for them to register me for classes, they are taking a long time. Classes are filling up quickly. I am expecting them to register me the same day that I ask. Is this expecting too much?

Then I ask again by email, still not getting a response.

I call, the phone goes to voicemail.

Also, they advertised certain classes on their website, and now they are saying they only offer them certain years and have classes available that were not advertised on the website. I know things are subject to change, probably without notice, but I think it's deceptive.

Can any of you offer me advice or let me know how your registration experience is/was?

Am I just being too impatient and expecting too much?

Thank you

Edited by mswperson

I imagine that all programs handle things differently so it's going to be tough to get you a clearer picture, and frankly if other people were in the same boat it won't help you much unless it was at the same program. With an online program, you're really at their mercy since you can't see anyone in person.

That seems weird. In my experience, they tell you which classes u need to take (social work a, b & c your first semester) but its up to you to decide what day and time works for u from all the course offerings. Can I ask what school this is?

There just seems to be red flags left right and centre.  In the past when I am applying for school, I approach every interaction as a glimpse into what my experience will be like, including the quality of education I will be receiving.  I think it sounds like it would be worth doing some more investigation work, speaking to previous students, looking at accreditation etc. and match it up against what your expectations are.  Good luck!  

I think it's too early to be fearful for your future.  I think it's a little strange they don't let you register for classes on your own but if it's online and the date/times don't really matter then it doesn't seem out of line for an online program.  I also don't think it's crazy that they take longer than a day.  It's a busy time of year.  If you need the class you'll get it, even if it's not this semester.  They likely register people who are at the end of their academic career first so they can graduate on time and then do the new students at the end.  As far as classes not being available every semester that's totally normal.  I experienced that plenty during BSW and MSW at two different schools.  They can offer a wider variety of  classes if they only do them every other year/semester. 

I applied to and was accepted at Catholic University of America, who is accredited. They do the automatic enrollment thing as well. I've never had that before as well, even when I was applying to the school, I had to sign a document that stated that I was fine with them doing automatic enrollment. I already have a masters and my last program, which was online, did not do this. I figure that is how this school works. 

I'm thinking that if they will do the enrolling, then you should not have anything to worry about :-) You'll get into class. If not then talk with your academic advisor about why you are not enrolled into your classes.

Hope this helps. 

thank you guys for your responses!! within the day I was complaining someone actually registered me for the classes I wanted. Thanks... I guess, I will just test out this semester, if things don't work out or if I don't feel like I am learning, I may just stop.

Thanks again :)