University of Notre Dame 2015 Admits

sreyb

Hi All,

I didn't see any thread for Notre Dame. So, I thought of creating a new one :) . I'll be a doctoral student in Computer Science and Engineering.

Anybody joining Notre Dame this Fall?

Maybe , we can use this forum to discuss stuffs like housing, recreation, programs etc.

Feel free to post.

Hi Sreyb,

I was just wondering the same thing: no thread for Notre Dame. Congrats on your admission!

I'm also going to Notre Dame this fall - for the doctoral program in Applied & Computational Math.

Hello Serenade

Congrats! Yes, I have heard that Chicago is the nearest go-to place for fun when you're in South Bend. Fingers crossed!

Hi there FinalDanish

Splendid! Great to find a future classmate on here. Are you hoping to stay on campus - in Fischer O'Hara Grace? If so, have you submitted applications? Also, maybe you might want to indicate your gender - just in case anyone here is interested, and would rather have a roommate of a specific gender.

Edited by Thooce

Is anybody able to register for classes before August? The grad director in my department said I'd have to wait until August, but I'm just curious if any other departments let people register now? 

I believe I saw the option, but I am not doing that yet - so I don't know for sure.

I'm starting to get really worried about housing. On all my current options, I'm waitlisted...

And I'm not coming into the US with my car, neither am I planning to buy one when I arrive; so I can't afford to risk arriving and not getting housing at my preferred options then having to shuttle to and from a long distance.

I hear the public transportation system is irregular e.g. closes in the evening and hardly works on Sundays. Sigh...

Anyone with pointers on apartments near school should please share?

Thanks Serenade. Yes I have looked at options on Craigslist and also at various ND off-campus (including Overlook) and on-campus housing options.

One thing that has complicated matters was that being an international student, by US regulations, I couldn't get a visa until 100 days before resumption i.e. last week. So I just got it last week. Without the visa I couldn't make more concrete housing plans (and in fact it's the reason I lost out on Overlook. I'd been talking to the Overlook admin since mid-February when I got my admission offer - when there were still many spaces at Overlook - but I couldn't confirm anything. Now the place has been fully booked as at April). Really painful, as that's my most preferred option.

Next option: Cripe street on campus. The very day it opened up two weeks ago, I applied there as well (I'd learned my lesson from Overlook so I didn't wait to formally get a visa). Sadly, Cripe street placed me on a waitlist and there's no assurance that I will get any space there. I can't apply to Fischer O'Hara Grace because I'm not single.

I have seen a number of other housing options near campus but besides the fact that most of them are also placing one on a waitlist, I'm not even sure I'd like to live at some of them: dormitory style living probably won't work well for us (one reason I really liked Overlook - it is actually designed for graduate students).

My plan now is to keep seeking these housing options and hopefully something will turn up soon. As a last resort, I am allowed to enter the US up to 4 weeks before resumption, so I can try to enter a last minute frenzy of searching (I think it's a bad idea but I may have no choice left by then).

P.S. If I recall correctly, you said you got a place at Overlook? Did you have to pay to reserve your space? If so, does the rent count as from resumption or as from the day you signed the lease? Please I need to know, so I can prepare to act swiftly just in case a space opens up eventually.

Edited by xor

Wow! You really hit a bad string of luck! Sorry to hear that. Yes, I leased on a 1 bedroom at the Overlook. I had to submit a security deposit of $1245. ($945 plus $300 deposit fee). I'm unfamiliar with the term "resumption." What exactly does that mean? I don't start paying rent until August when my lease begins. I will also have to pay $1890 when I get there in August (first and last month's rent). Here's to hoping that something opens up for you soon! You never know when craigslist might have something along the lines of what you're looking for. Don't lose hope!

Hi all,

Congrats to all of you for admission. And I am extremely sorry for not replying early. I am an international student and have not yet received my I20. So nervous about that. Hope to finally have it next week. Btw I almost finalized on the housing. I am living off campus in the Rosemary Lane with a roommate who has been staying there for a while and who is also from my city. Not much idea abt the neighbourhood though except that it is close to the university.

Edited by sreyb

Serenade, you're too kind. Yes, I hope something opens up really soon, one way or another! Pardon my outdated English; by"resumption", I refer to the start of the new school year i.e. Fall. For us, I believe that is mid-August. Aha, my question was about the security deposit. I am glad to know that only $1245 was required upfront. I thought one would have to pay the $1245 plus the first and last month's rent (another $1890) all at once, to secure the one-bedroom apartment at Overlook. That would have been quite a hefty amount to come up with at short notice, if a space opened up! I needed to be sure. Thanks again!

Hi Sreyb, it's a good thing that you already have working plans for housing! Don't you worry, the I-20 will arrive in time. I was told it never takes more than 5 days to a week no matter your location in the world. Mine took about 4 days to arrive. Good luck!

Hi Sreyb, it's a good thing that you already have working plans for housing! Don't you worry, the I-20 will arrive in time. I was told it never takes more than 5 days to a week no matter your location in the world. Mine took about 4 days to arrive. Good luck!

Hi Xor,

As per the latest update on FedEx tracking, I should receive the package by today evening. Keeping my fingers crossed ☺.

Goodluck with your house hunt. I earnestly hope something really opens up soon for you. All the best

• 2 weeks later...

As for news, finalizing places to live this week. (Sorry I didn't respond earlier. My settings weren't correct in emailing me upon replies to this thread. Plus, end of year finals are always a drag...)

Anyway, I'm debating north west of campus near Cripe St. or east of campus behind SR 23 and Martin's Supermarket (I grew up in South Bend, so I know my way around). Being by Martin's is a nice convenience, but the amenities at University Edge are just too good to ignore.

Speaking of which, to ease your concerns xor, University Edge and Clover Village/Ridge still have 2-3 bedroom apartment's available for lease. I'm going to visit University Edge today to check it out. They seem to support their residents very well according to social media. Reading your previous posts, University Edge offers shuttle service into central campus so that's a plus. Though, I believe they cater to undergrads more so I'm not sure what you think of that.

If you prefer a house, there's a cheap option still available via Craigslist on Murray St. The person renting it is actually a family friend of mine so if you have any questions on that place, feel free to ask. Being perfectly honest, the place on Murray isn't very nice when I walked through. The landlord plans to fix the place up a lot, so that might make it better. I also grabbed a flier from a posting in the ACMS department. Here is a link to the flier if you are interested in that house property. Unsure if it is still available.

Since I did my undergrad as an RA, I'm completely comfortable living as neighbors with some of the undergrads. Though, I still don't know how the atmosphere plays out here, especially since most undergrads live on campus. But it's probably more laid back anyway since it's a private Catholic university compared to the B1G 10 public party school I'm coming from.

Hope all of this helps someone out here. We should help each other out considering we will probably be together for many years from now. GO IRISH!

Edited by FinalDanish

FinalDanish - Let us know how University Edge Apartments look; they look amazing on the website. 

I've applied for the on-campus FOG housing and haven't heard anything yet.  If I don't get in, I'll be looking for a roommate(s) and a place.  I'm in CA now so hard to do much looking from here.