GRE retest, just for future funding?

nananiemand

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice about whether or not I should consider retesting for a better GRE score. My current score is:    Verb. 160, Quant. 145, Essay 3.5

I wasn't in a great place when I took this test originally, hence the pretty low essay portion (I'm a very confident writer, but evidently a poor instructions reader. I literally did this: I thought the first essay was a "short answer" and only wrote five paragraphs... I also honestly did -not- study for the quant portion, sadly). I was always planning on retesting, but now I've been accepted to a program for the Fall and the issue isn't as pressing. However, I still notice that GRE scores are needed for fellowships (I have an NSF GRF, but my PhD will be in social sciences with a median completion of 8.5 years).

Based on all this, should I be planning to retest? If not this year, than in a few years when I'm getting ready for dissertation grant-writing? How strongly do GRE scores affect various fellowships/grants?

Thanks~~

I can see GRE mattering on judging new admit vs new admit funding, but once you are there for a few years if they are still looking at standardized test scores and not the actual work you've done at the university, with your professors, etc... I don't know about that decision...

I feel bad for the guy who has 30 publications and a nobel prize but can't get funding because he has a 60% quant...

Edited by <ian>

I can see GRE mattering on judging new admit vs new admit funding, but once you are there for a few years if they are still looking at standardized test scores and not the actual work you've done at the university, with your professors, etc... I don't know about that decision...

I feel bad for the guy who has 30 publications and a nobel prize but can't get funding because he has a 60% quant...

In the "results" section you can see people fully funded with V=Q=60%... To what extent is it true? No way to know... but if true, I guess it just shows that graduate school is more about research and network, than standarized tests.

In the "results" section you can see people fully funded with V=Q=60%... To what extent is it true? No way to know... but if true, I guess it just shows that graduate school is more about research and network, than standarized tests.

As I would expect from programs that understand your potential to do well in research and grad school is not tied to your ability to do geometry on a timed test in a small room with sticky keyboards.

I also think GRE scores are only relevant for "entry-level" fellowships. I recently applied for a NASA fellowship that is meant for people in the last 2-3 years of their program and no GRE scores were requested at all. Transcripts were still requested though, but word-of-mouth says that they are not very heavily weighted. In my field anyways, funding decisions made after the first couple of years of grad school heavily focus on research productivity/output. If you want to best improve your chances at future funding beyond the GRFP, spend the X hours you were planning on studying for the GRE on your research :)

As I would expect from programs that understand your potential to do well in research and grad school is not tied to your ability to do geometry on a timed test in a small room with sticky keyboards.

Agree. I think math is so much more than what the GRE "measures" :-P

The thing is that for those of us will little to no research experience and limited opportunities to do it... a stellar GRE/GPA is pretty much the core of good funding when applying(because once in, I don't think it matters at all).

Edited by Mechanician2015