Dissertation fieldwork in Brazil

TheRealP

I am a doctoral candidate with full dissertation research funding in need of some perspective.

Are you doing, or have you done your dissertation fieldwork in Brazil? 

Do you have experience with a research visa? (VITEM-I)  

I am in an odd situation and I'd like to hear your experience.

Thank you! 

Hi there, I'm currently doing ethnographic research in Brazil. I've done pre-dissertation research with a tourist visa but I currently have a vitem 1.

My visa application was fairly simple because I have Fulbright funding and I think that cut through some of the red tape. But, I can try to answer any questions you have.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I attempted to get a Vitem I visa for my field research, but the embassy denied it because they argued that that visa was for professional research purposes and I was a student. They said that since I was enrolled at my home university, that I was a student and the Vitem was therefore not appropriate. I think they decided they wanted to help me.

I had an affiliation with a Brazilian university and a faculty member that was willing to sign a letter of support, and they gave me a student visa for one year. The Vitem is difficult to get because you have to get approval of their science and technology bureaucracy for that. FRAT- One bureaucracy>Two bureacracies.