Masters in Psych for Physics major (eventually) applying to Clinical PhD?

radkat

My current background:

* BS in physics 2011 from top university, great GPA, haven't taken GRE yet

* 3 undergrad psych classes, a couple neuro

* volunteered at a suicide hotline for 5 months (and plan to continue)

* Software engineer in industry for 3 years, hated it so I quit

* No research experience :(

Goal: get into Clinical PhD program. I ultimately want to focus on being a practicing clinician so I will also apply to PsyD, but I am excited to do research.

Question: Should I (1) find a research assistant position and maybe take some classes OR (2) attend a terminal masters that emphasizes preparation for PhD and would include research opportunities? (Secret option 3 I haven't thought of?)

I've heard mixed things about masters programs, but I figured as someone who didn't major in psych it would help my application. On the other hand it is expensive. Thoughts?

Do you think it would be easier to find a research opportunity as a masters student at a university? (As opposed to independently)

Any other advice?

I definitely recommend your own suggestion of finding research positions either through volunteering or paid that can add to your strong CV. One particular point I want to recommend is that although your undergrad was no way close to a psychology or neuroscience degree, you do have some leverage with your physics and software engineering background. A lot of psychology and neuroscience research is moving towards the computational front (as with most of the basic and applied sciences). If you have any experience in programming and statistics (which I assume you have based on your background), this will surely improve your chances greatly. You cannot imagine how many labs these days are eager to take on students that are proficient in those areas (even in the clinical field). I would say you use your background to your advantage when looking for research opportunities. Given the right repertoire of skills, you may have PIs in the cognitive and theoretical neurosciences who may have interest in working with you.

Of course, like you suggested, you need to prove your merit in research. Continue to explore different ways you can add to that part of your resume, since it seems like the only part that may be lacking. As well, look into the programs you have interested in applying. Some specifically state that you need certain psychology courses. You may need to do Post-Bacc courses to supplement.

As for Master's vs. PhD, I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment, but it certainly seems like schools in US make it a bit harder for students that want to start off with their Master's. In Canada (where I am), most graduate psychology programs require a Master's before you transition into your PhD. Something to consider if you're opened to that idea.

Thanks of your advice, and it's definitely encouraging to hear that my technical backround could work well for me.

I don't particularly want to get a masters before my PhD I am just considering it as option to make me competitive when I apply for the PhD.

Do you think I would be a stronger applicant if I did a masters degree first (and made sure to do research during the degree) or do you think I should just work or volunteer in a lab and then apply for a PhD directly? (And maybe take some postbacc classes while I'm volunteering).

I can't say how stringent the requirements are anywhere else outside of Canada, but I know here they do encourage students outside of the psychology field to apply into the graduate programs. I know of a graduate student at my alma mater, for example, who had a background in electrical engineering (sort've up your alley) and ended up working in a lab involving visual perception and motor control. However, the caveat is that Canada almost always requires a Master's before PhD.

Perhaps that depends on the Master's you find yourself getting into. I don't know in your case if it will be for general psychology due to your lack of psychology courses in your undergrad. I do know that a lot of students try to do a Master's as a way to be more competitive in their PhD application later on. If you're from the States you may also need to consider funding opportunities, as I hear a lot of Master's is unfunded. Again, not the biggest expert on this area, but hopefully this helps a bit! 

I would recommend pursuing a master's degree before you apply to PhD programs since you have a limited background in psychology. You can still volunteer or work as a research assistant at the same time. This would provide you with sufficient academic background in psychology and research experience that you need.

I wouldn't waste money/resources/time on a MAsters if you know you want to go for a PhD. Take Psyc classes while locking down a position as a Research Assistant at a lab you're interested in and begin to network in the Psyc field so that you can have good letters or recommendation. That would be more useful than a MA. 

I would suggest ONLY do the masters if you can get an on-campus graduate assistantship in something close to your goals (such as in the psychology/counseling department) and are able to peruse research from the ground running. The GAship will come with tuition waiver and experience, and the research experience will also give you that experience.

However, if you can go straight to PhD, it is much preferred. The masters really only benefits those of us that are unsure about our direction, need better credentials, and/or have the willingness to dig deeper pockets for our debt.  If you can jump that step by working, or even volunteering, in a research lab your interested in, you will get a similar results. As for taking classes study on your own time and take the psychology GRE instead. That will demonstrate your knowledge. You may also find it more beneficial to start going to conference workshops and putting those on your CV. Academic classes will be more expensive and might not transfer in the end and conferences help you network/get ideas.