Does the extra stuff matter?

HopingForMFA

Hello, all.

So I have a question; and forgive me if this isn't the most appropriate place to post this, I wasn't sure where the most appropriate thread is. 

How much does extracurricular stuff matter? For example, I have been a Resident Assistant for the last four out of my five years of undergrad (and have been recognized in my ResLife department with an award). I have also piloted a service learning thesis project (completely elected, not required by my major) to bring art to the socioeconomically challenged, the project earned me a nomination for a Student Civic Leadership award. 

Will any of this matter to graduate admission boards the way it matters in undergrad? Or will my application rest solely on grades, rec's, and scores?On top of all that, I am graduating with a dual major and a 3.6 GPA. 

Thanks!

I don't think it matters much for a PhD application (and probably not for Masters, either). They are interested in your potential as a researcher, which they gauge through things like grades, LORs, research experience, etc.. It might look good to have something extra on your resume, showing you can balance school and other activities, but I wouldn't emphasize these a lot. Include them in your resume/CV, but don't act like it's a big deal.

In my field, the extra stuff definitely matters.  Students without sufficient work or volunteer experience in my field are typically not accepted into graduate programs.

The extra stuff is also great to have for scholarship purposes!  Extra money is always nice. :)

Not everyone has all the right experiences (i.e. research) that completely fits with what you want to do in graduate school. I would say that, although you shouldn't emphasize the extracurriculars as if they were the most important things you've done, you never know what key skills you may have gained from those experiences that make you stand out more. For example, when I applied to a summer internship position in immunology, what stood out for my employers was that I had experience working with animals previously even though my knowledge of immunology at that time was limited. In your case, if you're interested in a program in the Arts like Theatre, unless you have strong experience around that setting I think it's more than likely they will take a look at how you've shaped your experiences just as much as the practical aspects. Leadership skills is definitely a strong asset for someone in your position, I believe! And there's no harm in briefly talking about your award in your SOP if it makes sense!

I don't think they matter "to graduate admission boards the way it matters in undergrad", but I agree with Eigen that leadership positions do make a difference.

I think your application will be judged for research potential first and foremost, but departments also want to recruit graduate students and hire postdocs/professors that are able to work well with others, be a leader, etc. These are "intangibles" but these attributes also help in direct ways. For example, departments want students who can win NSF GRFPs and those awards require a strong "broader impact"/public outreach component, which your service learning project will help!

So I agree with everyone else that you should definitely include these experiences/activities in your application but make the emphasis be on your scholarly activities. I have a section in my CV for these activities and also wrote a short paragraph in my SOP where appropriate (often, my applications asked for these activities in a separate essay).

Exactly. 

Having a ton of extra-curriculars won't make you a promising candidate if you don't have the research chops to back it up... But since there are usually a lot of applicants that have good grades, good GRE scores, and research experience, a lot of the tighter decisions tend to be made based on more intangible things- fit, other experiences, etc.

Basically everything that speaks to you as a person (work, fellowship, philosophy, and body) matter to some extent. Admissions committees are made up of humans, and anything that appeals to a human will appeal to people on an adcomm.