How important are supervisors for Master's programs?

Imaya

I'm interested in the anthropology of death, dying, and mourning. Unfortunately, most scholarly research on this subject seems to be overseas. I'm not finding many anthropologists who research death, dying, and mourning at American universities, and especially not universities that offer stand-alone Master's degrees. (My plan is to first get a Master's before applying to PhD programs.)

So I'm wondering: how important is it to identify a supervisor that aligns with your research interests at the Master's level? What's the likelihood that I would be accepted to Master's programs where none of the professors focus on death, dying, or mourning? Would I be better off studying overseas in order to study with experts in my research area and then come back to the US for my PhD?

I would say, in most cases, you will need to at least contact a faculty member who will be willing to serve as your advisor. Have you looked into Medical Anthropology?  There are plentry of programs in the U.S. that focus on Medical Anthropology.  That would probably be your best bet if you stay in the states.

Why do you feel the need to do a separate MA when most PhD programs in the US are MA/PhD programs? Many programs will make you do a second MA if you come in with one already. 

I would say, in most cases, you will need to at least contact a faculty member who will be willing to serve as your advisor. Have you looked into Medical Anthropology?  There are plentry of programs in the U.S. that focus on Medical Anthropology.  That would probably be your best bet if you stay in the states.

I am looking into Medical Anthropology mostly. But most of the master's programs don't have faculty that focus on death, dying, and mourning. I imagine that a medical anthropology professor wouldn't mind serving as my advisor, but I'm wondering if listing a prospective supervisor on my application that doesn't focus on my research area would harm my chances of getting in that program?

Why do you feel the need to do a separate MA when most PhD programs in the US are MA/PhD programs? Many programs will make you do a second MA if you come in with one already. 

Mostly because my undergrad degree isn't in Anthropology. I majored in Psychology and minored in Anthropology. I also didn't conduct any research as an undergrad in either field and I think by getting the experience conducting research during a master's program would be really beneficial while applying to PhD programs.

Mostly because my undergrad degree isn't in Anthropology. I majored in Psychology and minored in Anthropology. I also didn't conduct any research as an undergrad in either field and I think by getting the experience conducting research during a master's program would be really beneficial while applying to PhD programs.

Fair enough. However, not having a BA in anthro is not a deal breaker when it comes to applying for anthro PhD programs especially if you have strong letters of recommendation, good grades, reasonable GREs and a captivating statement of purpose. Not having research experience could be a problem but one that could be taken care of by working as a researcher rather then doing a year or two year MA. Getting paid to do research is much better then paying to do it especially if that means going into more debt. If your interested in morning and death getting a job in hospice or a funeral home might be just as useful as a MA.  My interests are in agriculture and I've worked on farms and as a researcher which worked in my favor probably more so than if I had pursued an additional degree.  

Identifying a program with a strong fit is super important for PhD programs less so for stand alone MA's.  A stand alone MA won't be oriented towards specialization in the same way as a PhD program.  For example, ff your interests are death, dying and mourning in Latin America an MA program with a Latin Americanist would probably be a good enough fit.  If you are interested in the psychological dimensions of morning a program with a psychological anthropologist is probably fine regardless if they work on morning or not.  I wouldn't worry so much about advisers for an MA instead I'd focus on programs with good funding. Just my 2 cents. 

I would suggest only go for the masters if your other credentials are not a solid as you want them to be, and you find a program that really matches your goals. Anthropology and psychology are cousin fields. If you decide to go another direction, there is enough cross over in the scientific style that going straight to PhD is reasonable.

It sounds as though you want the MA program to strengthen your credentials and demonstrate your specific career path. With not having research experience, you will want a program that will offer you that possibility. If the professors at your chosen MA program will not offer the option to do so (even as independent study goals), then it won't help you as much as you'd like to think.

Another possibility is to talk to professors about volunteering in their lab before another application year. Some will accept volunteers; some will not. You can also see if places besides academia offer research in death, dying and mourning. You may find summer research programs that do, or funded hospital studies. 

Fair enough. However, not having a BA in anthro is not a deal breaker when it comes to applying for anthro PhD programs especially if you have strong letters of recommendation, good grades, reasonable GREs and a captivating statement of purpose. Not having research experience could be a problem but one that could be taken care of by working as a researcher rather then doing a year or two year MA. Getting paid to do research is much better then paying to do it especially if that means going into more debt. If your interested in morning and death getting a job in hospice or a funeral home might be just as useful as a MA.  My interests are in agriculture and I've worked on farms and as a researcher which worked in my favor probably more so than if I had pursued an additional degree.  

Identifying a program with a strong fit is super important for PhD programs less so for stand alone MA's.  A stand alone MA won't be oriented towards specialization in the same way as a PhD program.  For example, ff your interests are death, dying and mourning in Latin America an MA program with a Latin Americanist would probably be a good enough fit.  If you are interested in the psychological dimensions of morning a program with a psychological anthropologist is probably fine regardless if they work on morning or not.  I wouldn't worry so much about advisers for an MA instead I'd focus on programs with good funding. Just my 2 cents. 

That's excellent advice. Thank you. I will definitely consider working in the field as a way to get research experience.

I would suggest only go for the masters if your other credentials are not a solid as you want them to be, and you find a program that really matches your goals. Anthropology and psychology are cousin fields. If you decide to go another direction, there is enough cross over in the scientific style that going straight to PhD is reasonable.

It sounds as though you want the MA program to strengthen your credentials and demonstrate your specific career path. With not having research experience, you will want a program that will offer you that possibility. If the professors at your chosen MA program will not offer the option to do so (even as independent study goals), then it won't help you as much as you'd like to think.

Another possibility is to talk to professors about volunteering in their lab before another application year. Some will accept volunteers; some will not. You can also see if places besides academia offer research in death, dying and mourning. You may find summer research programs that do, or funded hospital studies. 

Thanks so much for the advice. It's really making a lot more sense to me now. And thanks for letting me know that some professors welcome volunteers into their labs. I will be sure to contact programs in my area to see if they have any opportunities. I will also definitely look into whether the MA programs offer strong research opportunities. 

Do you have any insight into where I could look for funded hospital studies or other outside-of-academia studies? That sounds very interesting to me.

It will probably involve a lot of investigation and cold calling on your part. I was contacted several years ago by the Lehigh valley health network. They had a state grant to research psychological well being in clients and they saw my resume, so wanted to bring me on. That's the only reason I know about it.

Find out about government/state grants in your area and follow the trail to the recipients. Or just research hospitals and cold-call research departments outright.

It will probably involve a lot of investigation and cold calling on your part. I was contacted several years ago by the Lehigh valley health network. They had a state grant to research psychological well being in clients and they saw my resume, so wanted to bring me on. That's the only reason I know about it.

Find out about government/state grants in your area and follow the trail to the recipients. Or just research hospitals and cold-call research departments outright.

Ok great! Thanks for the tips! I'll get started on that asap.