Withdrawing before PhD even starts?

Mindreading

Hey everyone, I need some advice if thats okay.

So, I accepted a funded offer on April 15th for Fall 2015.  I had planned on doing nonprofit work after the PhD rather than go into academia.

I've also been working part time at a non-profit company that I love in a country that I really love.  When I told my company I was officially leaving, they offered me an *amazing* position with visa sponsorship to stay in this country.  When it comes down to it, I'd feel so incredibly stupid not to take this job as it would allow me to stay in this country and would look great on my resume.  I know in my heart that its the right thing to take this job.  

So now I feel absolutely horrible about withdrawing from this program, seeing as they may not be able to give my spot/funding away at this point.  Will this reflect poorly on my letter writers?  Does this kind of thing ever happen (where people withdraw from programs before they even start)?  I really dont even know what to expect when telling them.  I would never have done this on purpose and when I accepted the offer I had the full intent to attend but this is just how it happened...

Thank you!

I've seen this happen several times now.  I don't think it reflects badly on the letter writers at all.  And you have a very valid reason for withdrawing.  they may not be overjoyed about it, but I doubt they are going to get all ragey about it.  It happens...people get amazing job offers and decide that maybe more school is not the best route for them.  Basically, it comes down to doing what's right for you.  This is your life and you don't want to have any regrets later if you don't take the job.  Grad school will still be there later.  Just be polite and honest.  But that's just my two cents worth.  :)

I've seen this happen several times now.  I don't think it reflects badly on the letter writers at all.  And you have a very valid reason for withdrawing.  they may not be overjoyed about it, but I doubt they are going to get all ragey about it.  It happens...people get amazing job offers and decide that maybe more school is not the best route for them.  Basically, it comes down to doing what's right for you.  This is your life and you don't want to have any regrets later if you don't take the job.  Grad school will still be there later.  Just be polite and honest.  But that's just my two cents worth.   :)

Thanks so much.  Its good to know that you've seen it happen several times.  I have been trying to google for similar situations but for some reason it didnt seem very common which made me quite scared about the whole thing.  I just feel so, so sorry about this whole situation and I completely regret that I will cause the department this damage.  But, you're right, it is my life and I need to do what is best.  I really appreciate this reply. :) :)

Hey everyone, I need some advice if thats okay.

So, I accepted a funded offer on April 15th for Fall 2015.  I had planned on doing nonprofit work after the PhD rather than go into academia.

I've also been working part time at a non-profit company that I love in a country that I really love.  When I told my company I was officially leaving, they offered me an *amazing* position with visa sponsorship to stay in this country.  When it comes down to it, I'd feel so incredibly stupid not to take this job as it would allow me to stay in this country and would look great on my resume.  I know in my heart that its the right thing to take this job.  

So now I feel absolutely horrible about withdrawing from this program, seeing as they may not be able to give my spot/funding away at this point.  Will this reflect poorly on my letter writers?  Does this kind of thing ever happen (where people withdraw from programs before they even start)?  I really dont even know what to expect when telling them.  I would never have done this on purpose and when I accepted the offer I had the full intent to attend but this is just how it happened...

Thank you!

Congratulations! Don't think twice about taking this great job. Believe me, you're hurting nobody by doing what's right for you. Given the dire state of the humanities, you'd only be hurting yourself if you didn't take the job!

Congratulations! Don't think twice about taking this great job. Believe me, you're hurting nobody by doing what's right for you. Given the dire state of the humanities, you'd only be hurting yourself if you didn't take the job!

Aww, thanks.  I really appreciate your words!  Alright, I've made myself a goal of telling them today (*nervous*).

Edited by Mindreading

Good luck. It sounds like you're doing the right thing!

And congratulations on the awesome offer :)

Thank you so much. That is so reassuring, and congrats on going to UCSB!  Santa Barbara would be soo amazing to live in!!

Congratulations on the job offer, Mindreading. As it happens, a team member recently resigned to return to his previous employer. The head of my division put it this way in an email to the group earlier this morning:

At [deleted], [John Doe] will be a [x], an opportunity that was not previously available to him when he took the position with [deleted].

Hopefully, our loss will provide you with a suggestion on how you might frame your decision to withdraw.

Congratulations on the job offer, Mindreading. As it happens, a team member recently resigned to return to his previous employer. The head of my division put it this way in an email to the group earlier this morning:

Hopefully, our loss will provide you with a suggestion on how you might frame your decision to withdraw.

Thanks so much for this! The way that email is phrased, it makes it seem like much less of the huge dramatic catastrophic event I'm imagining it to be...haha.