SLP Graduate School Supplies

What are you guys thinking for hauling books, etc around? Backpack? Messenger? Something that rolls?

I'm going with backpack. Messenger bags hurt too much when they are heavy especially with just one shoulder. At least for me. I'm trying to decide what backpack though. I had a high Sierra swerve during my undergrad but I need something different. Possibly either a north face or dakine. Something with a decent laptop sleeve, room for books or other belongings when traveling, and a good water bottle holder.

Backpack wise, I am going to put in a plug for Swiss Gear backpacks. My backpack is the most durable, user friendly backpack I have had. I think I paid around $70 for it, but I have had it for four years and it's still like it was the day I got it. If I remember right, Swiss Gear puts a lifetime warranty on most, if not all of their products. When I bought it I had graduate school in mind. It also has a very nice padded pocket for a laptop and plenty of room. The straps are very comfortable and make hauling heavy books doable. I'd also be interested to hear what everyone else uses or likes!

I think I'll be getting one from Plum Paper Designs on Etsy. They're customizable, so you can choose to have it by hour which is great for us, but you can also add things as well, like to do lists and such. It's also not as expensive as some others.

I think I'll be getting one from Plum Paper Designs on Etsy. They're customizable, so you can choose to have it by hour which is great for us, but you can also add things as well, like to do lists and such. It's also not as expensive as some others.

I just don't like the whole monogram/name thing!! I wish the covers were different lol

I just don't like the whole monogram/name thing!! I wish the covers were different lol

For the etsy ones, you can request to have the monogram/name removed. I'm trying to find the cheapest/most efficient/nicest looking option and so far, Plum Paper is winning!

I like that Plum Paper has so many cover options. Emily Ley only has a few. But I like the inside layout of the Emily Ley so much better! For the Plum Paper planner, once I add in the extra things like notes pages, etc, it's not that much cheaper than EL.

Edited by jmjslpca

I like that Plum Paper has so many cover options. Emily Ley only has a few. But I like the inside layout of the Emily Ley so much better! For the Plum Paper planner, once I add in the extra things like notes pages, etc, it's not that much cheaper than EL.

I only added to do lists so it kept the price down.

I'm a big fan of Passion Planners.  Each day is broken down by hour, personal and work to-do lists, space to write out short and long term goals, blank space for journaling/reflections/inspirational quotes. http://www.passionplanner.com/what/

Oooh I like that one...you can even download a PDF for free and bind it yourself.

Great thread, I need to look at all the planner suggestions! My favorite planner was actually one I got in Paris that was grid-lined.

Changing topics- I've been wondering about technology in grad school. I'm one of the few people I know who still has a non-smart phone. Could there be any serious disadvantages to this during grad school?

Another question - when I close my laptop and take it somewhere in my backpack, it shuts down completely over half of the time. I also can only use it on flat surfaces and have to be careful how I pick it up. It's been like this for months now, and I'm still using it without too much trouble. So maybe this is a dumb question, but do you guys think this will be a bigger problem in grad school? I definitely want to get it checked out again before I leave, but I don't have much hope. Also, I've heard of people getting tablets - anyone have opinions on that?

I also have a passion planner, which I really like. Plus, they have a referral program: if three people put your e-mail down as being the one that referred them when they buy a planner, then you get a planner for free. That's how I got my planner for this year. 

Great thread, I need to look at all the planner suggestions! My favorite planner was actually one I got in Paris that was grid-lined.

Changing topics- I've been wondering about technology in grad school. I'm one of the few people I know who still has a non-smart phone. Could there be any serious disadvantages to this during grad school?

Another question - when I close my laptop and take it somewhere in my backpack, it shuts down completely over half of the time. I also can only use it on flat surfaces and have to be careful how I pick it up. It's been like this for months now, and I'm still using it without too much trouble. So maybe this is a dumb question, but do you guys think this will be a bigger problem in grad school? I definitely want to get it checked out again before I leave, but I don't have much hope. Also, I've heard of people getting tablets - anyone have opinions on that?

I'm not sure how difficult it will be without a smartphone, I like having mine so I can check emails at any time and other little things like that but you are probably fine with any phone as long as you have a computer/tablet for school.

As for your computer, I personally would be uncomfortable if mine wasn't working well because it would be a disaster if it wouldn't turn on and made you not able to complete an assignment. That would not be fun!

Another question - when I close my laptop and take it somewhere in my backpack, it shuts down completely over half of the time. I also can only use it on flat surfaces and have to be careful how I pick it up. It's been like this for months now, and I'm still using it without too much trouble. So maybe this is a dumb question, but do you guys think this will be a bigger problem in grad school? I definitely want to get it checked out again before I leave, but I don't have much hope. Also, I've heard of people getting tablets - anyone have opinions on that?

Ohh, the laptop might be an issue. Depending on how heavily you use it too. As far as tablets, I've tried to bring my android powered ones, I'd still rather use my laptop because I found that a lot of apps and programs are streamlined for computers and not tablets, unfortunately :(

Edited by kluna6

For those who don't yet want to buy a laminator - try the plastic binder sleeves. It won't work for note cards, but for standard 8 1/2 x 11 they're great, and cheap.

I do have a thing for pens, and using different colors to stay organized so I got a ton of those, but otherwise just a ton of legal pads (I prefer those to notebooks) and index cards. Plenty of plastic folders. I'm fairly minimalist, and will likely just buy things as I find the need for them.

Can anyone recommend a good voice recorder? Do you mostly use it for class or in clinics too? Could I just use a microphone hooked up to my laptop? I'm used to taking classes online, so being able to easily refer back to a lecture later is important to me.

For those who don't yet want to buy a laminator - try the plastic binder sleeves. It won't work for note cards, but for standard 8 1/2 x 11 they're great, and cheap.

I do have a thing for pens, and using different colors to stay organized so I got a ton of those, but otherwise just a ton of legal pads (I prefer those to notebooks) and index cards. Plenty of plastic folders. I'm fairly minimalist, and will likely just buy things as I find the need for them.

Can anyone recommend a good voice recorder? Do you mostly use it for class or in clinics too? Could I just use a microphone hooked up to my laptop? I'm used to taking classes online, so being able to easily refer back to a lecture later is important to me.

For note cards (and other things) you could also just buy a roll of contact paper. I used a roll I had for laminating some cards I used in a therapy session for my clinic observation class the other day. (I have kids lol so a huge craft inventory).

Edited by Jolie717

I recommend going to Staples right after school ends to get all the awesome deals that can be applied to the classroom!

I have a giant board with index card slots that I got for $8 last year  :)

I ordered my Emily Ley planner this morning! So excited!!!

I need a planner - is there any customization that others recommend for the Emily Ley planner or will a "standard" model do? I'm dealing with finals and haven't had a chance to look into them.

I need a planner - is there any customization that others recommend for the Emily Ley planner or will a "standard" model do? I'm dealing with finals and haven't had a chance to look into them.

There's not much customization to the emily ley planners because they're designed to be simple and easy (and beautiful!).

I've been doing a lot of research on planners and found that a filofax or Kikki k is best for customization (you can literally customize every single thing from the pages to the dashboards and pockets, etc.). They look like smaller ring binders so the pages are refillable.

Others use the emily ley, Erin condren because of the ease of use and they're all so pretty!

You can do your own research (after finals of course) to find out which style suits you better. I found that the filofax works for me because it feels like scrapbooking! I went around YouTube too to watch others' planner setups. I suggest doing that after finals because it can get really addicting to watch those videos!

But I've rambled on for too long, good luck on your finals! :)

I'm starting to collect board games and children's books that I find at thrift stores to use in therapy.

Also, the laminator is a great idea. I may just ask for one for my birthday! Haha

• 4 weeks later...

My program requires us to have a voice recorder for the clinic. They recommend the Sony USB Digital Voice Recorder (ICDPX333), but we can get a different one or use an app as long as it has the required features. I'm wondering if the recommendation might just be based on what the bookstore carries, so I'm looking around these school supplies threads before I commit.

I hadn't thought about using a voice recorder in class. To record lectures I've used Word's notebook thing on my laptop and it works pretty well, plus it bookmarks the recording to the notes you're taking so it's easy to navigate. 

P.S. I got my laptop back today and it so far so good! They gutted it and replaced most of the insides so it's basically a new machine now - so relieved to have that taken care of.