Attending in the Fall...but plans to move in the summer. Advice needed.

Hi everyone,

As a 22 year old prospective student,I am a loss right now. At the moment, I am applying for GradPLUS loans. However, I have come to the conclusion that  GradPLUS does not cover 'moving expenses' for the summer.... unless I was to take a summer course. This is not the case for me. Please correct me, if I am wrong. 

I will be making a long-distanced move from Louisiana to DC in the summer in order to have time to adjust to the city and to even perhaps score a last minute internship/volunteer job. I also do not have any family in DC and will be living out there alone, so that's another reason.

What are my options that can aid me in funding a 'summer-move' before my actual program starts? My parents are not in a position to help me pay for it, and I do not have anything saved up. I've scoured this forum and have found solutions such as taking out a credit card with 0% interest for 18-24 months...or taking out a small personal/private loan to make the first move (no more than $5k). My program does not give me a list of private lenders on their site, so I am clueless. Does anyone know of any reliable 'private' lenders that I can look into...if I was to go with that option? Thanks so much. This site has been helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have to bump this thread. Any one knows of any reliable personal loans for people with NO/VERY LITTLE credit history (At 22 and straight out of undergrad, I have not tethered with many credit cards).

USAA failed for me due to not having a credit history..although I loved the simplicity of the application. This seems to be a slight roadblock for several personal loans for me as well. Bank of America did not have a basic personal loan solely for moving expenses. I also checked out Wells Fargo.The site told me that  I have to go in person to them in person to sign up for a personal loan, And sadly I live in a southern state without a Wells Fargo bank. I'm going to DC on June 6, so I will go in person by then. But for now, I cannot do anything with it as an option.

Edited by Guest

Nevermind. I just gave Wells Fargo a call. I have a strong possibility of getting something from them despite having no/very limited credit. I just have to go there and apply in person when I get up in DC.

Edited by Guest

You could also try getting a personal loan from any of the other banks in your area. It doesn't really matter where the bank is since you can always either mail them a payment or pay online. If you don't have to specify why you need a personal loan, don't. Moving may make you sound flaky, which isn't a good way to get a loan.