Start from scratch? Use existing paper?

I won't start my thesis until next year (my senior year of undergrad) and even then, It won't be finished until March. Past the deadlines for most programs.

My undergrad concentration is public history so I have been doing research that ends in a tangible project, not a paper. I do have a primary source paper from a historical writing/sources class. It is 15 pages with cover page and bibliography and it was at least good enough for presentation at my school's student history conference.

However, I don't know how good of a writing sample it actually is. Also, I feel like my second attempt at some kind of research paper would be better through a natural progression of learning and applying skills.

Should I polish and submit my primary source paper or start from scratch? Is it out of the norm to work on a paper specifically for a writing sample? Thanks.

I'm not sure whether this is the norm or not, but I used a paper written for a class. I just checked it over to see if there was anything I wanted to tweak and used it as my writing sample. It worked out for me; I got accepted into a couple of programs, including my top choice. 

I suggest that you split the difference. Revise the existing piece to include "start from scratch" elements.

For example, if the existing piece is short on historiography then shore it up. Or develop another example or two to support the papers central thesis.

Ultimately, you should figure out what you want to do and do it. That way, you will submit a writing sample that reflects how you view yourself as a historian.

I suggest that you split the difference. Revise the existing piece to include "start from scratch" elements.

For example, if the existing piece is short on historiography then shore it up. Or develop another example or two to support the papers central thesis.

Ultimately, you should figure out what you want to do and do it. That way, you will submit a writing sample that reflects how you view yourself as a historian.

Thank you. I never thoughts of it as how I view myself in my discipline. I think that is best advice you could have given me.