How do phd research assistantships work?

RandomStranger

Hi all! I got admitted into a Phd programme, and was sent a brief intro about a project. The email asked if im interested in completing a research assistantship since this could go towards paying for my tuition. Now the project did sound rather boring but I want that money for my tuition as well as a stipend, so I replied back with a yes, highly interested please send me more info regarding what my personal role in the project would be.

However, there are a bunch of questions in my head on how assistantships work. Would the mentioned project be my phd project? Would this be the only project I work on or will there be optional others? Will I be doing this work on top of the usual course work? Most importantly once I begin my phd would I be able to switch to some other project? What is it like to be a research assistant? Are the work hours long and tough or is it manageable? Blehhh I hate not knowing!!!!

Assistantships are usually 25% (10 hours/week) or 50% (20 hours/week). 50% positions will typically cover full tuition and a livable stipend. This doesn't have to be the only project/work you do, but some people may fall into as it's just easier. Your life as an RA completely depends on the project/professor. 

Of course, you need to ask the department these questions, as everything I mentioned varies by country, university, department, etc.

Edited by gnarls_barkley

This really depends on your program and your field. In some fields, research assistantships (RAs) are just "extra" research work you do to earn your stipend/funding. In this case, this would be similar to contract work. You and your RA supervisor will have to discuss and decide on all of the terms of employment (# of hours, expectations, etc.).

In other fields, like most sciences, RAs are just a formal way of your thesis supervisor paying you money to conduct research towards your PhD thesis. In this case, sometimes the value and the # of hours assigned to the research assistantship is simply arbitrary. For example, in one grad program, I was paid 1/3 of my stipend through an RA and at the official University RA rate ($21/hour or so), that amounted to something like 40 hours per month. However, I obviously had to work more than 40 hours per month on my research project in order to finish the thesis! The remaining work I did was paid through my fellowship.

Would the mentioned project be my phd project? Would this be the only project I work on or will there be optional others? Will I be doing this work on top of the usual course work? Most importantly once I begin my phd would I be able to switch to some other project? What is it like to be a research assistant? Are the work hours long and tough or is it manageable? Blehhh I hate not knowing!!!!

What one's RA experience could be like totally varies and depends on the discipline, school, topic, and to a large extent, the professor who will be your supervisor. The questions you ask are ones you could and should ask your prospective department. From your description I would guess it's extra work you do on someone else's project who has a grant and has work they need done, but your level of engagement and responsibility is something that's hard to guess even if I'm right about my previous guess. It could range from just technical support or carrying out a project that has already been completely worked out, so you're nothing more than a glorified assistant who might not even get a publication as a middle author, to taking complete charge of a part of someone's grant where there hasn't been much more done than laying out of a main idea, so you'll do the actual spelling out of things and you might end up with anything from a publication to a dissertation-sized project. You need to ask what's expected of you. That will give you a good idea about some of your other questions, like whether you could easily switch projects and how many hours you'll be expected to put in. These are fair questions that there is no reason not to ask the person who is offering you this position.

My research assistantships have never been related to my own research. Sometimes a professor has had me work on an a project for an entire year while others have had me work on two different projects over the course of that time. And yes, this is all on top of normal coursework. You may have the option of switching, depending on how long the contract with a certain professor lasts. My contracts are made on a semester basis, meaning I could potentially be reassigned to a different professor each semester, though I've ended up staying with my same professor. In my department, the hours are 20 hours per week. It's definitely a commitment but it's also completely manageable. I've made a commitment to get my RA hours done each day before I start my own work, which keeps me motivated. 

Finally, RA positions are really valuable because, unless you're working directly on your own research, you get to learn how to conduct original research, yet you're not responsible for pulling the entire project together. You get your feet wet without the pressure of finishing the final outcome (you have your own research to worry about that!). You also get to form really great relationships with professors, which can lead to good rec letters in the future.