Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

I cannot believe some of you out there are STILL waiting to hear. That is a crime against your sanity!

To Sweden Fulbrighters: How are you approaching your housing search? It seems all of the university housing in Stockholm is fully booked up. I have been looking on Bostad Direkt lately and been finding some decent places, but I have also been contacted by a number of obviously fraudulent scammers trying to get me to rent their apartment. This blog: http://chicaneryconsscams.blogspot.com/ has a list of recent scam related e-mails. Be on the lookout!

Is anyone familiar with the details of the Fly America Act? I'm booking my flight to Poland (Poznan, anyone?), and the city is not serviced by U.S. airlines. I've read through all the documents a number of times, and from what I can tell, I just need to go to a European hub via an American carrier and then change airlines. But how strictly does it matter which one? I'm specifically looking at flying into Frankfurt or Munich and just wanted to get a second opinion before booking.

The original language reads that one must use a U.S. carrier "to the furthest interchange point on a usually traveled route"

and "Where an origin or interchange point is not served by U.S. flag air carrier, foreign air carrier service should be used only to the nearest interchange point on a usually traveled route to connect with U.S. flag carrier service".

Geographically, Berlin is the nearest metropolis to Poznan, but this is not a usually traveled route from my origin in the U.S., so I'm guessing Munich or Frankfurt, being approximately equidistant from my destination, would be fine. I've asked Fulbright and IIE, but haven't gotten clear answers. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if it's a problem if I choose to stay in Germany for a day before catching a connecting flight to Poland?

In major disbelief: I was moved from alternate to principle status for the full grant to Croatia

Joy? Yes joy, right?! Other-worldliness if anything...

Good luck to all alternates, oh how I understand the pain of limbo; just know that if you even applied for this behemoth, you are probably a qualified candidate for many great opportunities.

Hi, Finally some Croatia grantees!!! I am also going to Croatia, Zagreb specifically. Where are you studying/researching?

<br /><br /><br />

Hey Narak, I'm with you waiting on CLEA notification.

From what I understand the Taiwan Fulbright committee sets up all of the CLEA awards. I don't think we need to do anything at all. I'm really hoping that we hear soon.

Congrats Starfish21!

If any other Taiwan ETAs want to chat sometime, I just set up a new email: ahabtaiwan@gmail.com

I'm stoked to meet you all and get started on this fellowship! I'm finishing up my last week of undergrad but I can't stop looking up random facts about Taiwan.

Recently came across this site. If anyone needs tips or suggestions for Fulbright Taiwan-related things, let me know! I'm just finishing the ETA program. Two more weeks to go! Check out my blog too if you need stories.

kevinaconnors.blogspot.com

For Turkey ETA's:

Do you know what to write in the visa request form for occupation? Right now, I am a paralegal. Should I write that? Or should I write that I will be an Assistant English Teacher?

Congrats to everyone who received a Fulbright!

So I'm currently in the process of applying for the 2011-12 Fulbright. Although there is a thread for that, I kind of need advice from those who have gone through the process. I'm currently securing my affiliation and my FPA and advisor suggested I draft a letter up. I'm not even sure where to begin in writing this type of letter. I was wondering if any of you guys had to draft a letter first for your affiliation?

To keep this thread more 2010-11, you could answer the thread in 2011-12 to help others too or PM me. I'd really appreciate any insight and again, congratulations!

Usually, the answer is yes-it comes out of the total grant award. But, usually there is a travel stipend included in that total grant amount. For instance, i am headed to Poland in August, and they are giving me a monthly stipend, a separate research stipend, and a separate travel stipend for both myself and my wife. Generally speaking the plane ticket must be bought well in advance of the beginning of the grant period, and is reimbursed after your fellowship/ETA placement begins.

Hope this helps.

Usually, the answer is yes-it comes out of the total grant award. But, usually there is a travel stipend included in that total grant amount. For instance, i am headed to Poland in August, and they are giving me a monthly stipend, a separate research stipend, and a separate travel stipend for both myself and my wife. Generally speaking the plane ticket must be bought well in advance of the beginning of the grant period, and is reimbursed after your fellowship/ETA placement begins.

Hope this helps.

Your ticket is "reimbursed"? Meaning that it is separate from the award document your received recently in the mail?

My document states:

"research allowance"

"base amount"

"monthly stipend"

These all add up to a "total award". If I buy a 1,000 ticket, will it be reimbursed separately or will it simply come out of the "total award"

My award document has a fourth column entitled "travel and relocation allowance". This is what I receive for travel. Whether or not I choose to spend more or less than this amount is my decision. It will not be reduced, nor will I receive any extra funds. This is how it works for Poland, but may not be how it works for your country.

My use of the word "reimbursed" may have been ambiguous. I was simply stating the obvious: that the plane ticket must be bought prior to you receiving any funds from Fulbright.

I wonder whether your travel funds may be included within the "base amount" section of your award document? Would this be possible?

Who covers the cost of airfare for a Fulbright>? Does it come out of our total grant award?

I have a Germany ETA grant and I booked my flight through STA travel which was completely covered by Fulbright (other than the $22 student ID card). This was independent of the monthly stipend.

Is anyone already in Seoul for the CLEA? Just arrived a few days back and very keen to meet other Fulbrighters.

WHOA, how's this for fairytale?

Was flat-out rejected for an ETA to Turkey last month and just received a call offering a grant due to the increased funding! I don't know if the original letter was sent in error or what, but if anyone who was rejected is still lurking on these boards... apparently crazy things can happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie to GradCafe too, but I definitely want to be in contact with as many Turkey ETA's as possible before we go! My placement is at erciyes üniversitesi in Kayersi.

T.C. Erciyes Ãœniversitesi

Hello, I'm new as well. I'm being placed in Aksaray for a Turkey ETA.

Question: Has anyone gone forward with visa applications? Secil told me I should still be waiting for a final letter before going to the Consulate. Does anyone have more information?

Thu

Hello, I'm new as well. I'm being placed in Aksaray for a Turkey ETA.

Question: Has anyone gone forward with visa applications? Secil told me I should still be waiting for a final letter before going to the Consulate. Does anyone have more information?

Thu

I'm getting anxious as well, with only a month to go. Hopefully we won't have to wait until orientation in D.C. for more info.

• 2 months later...

I'm waiting for final word for an ETA in Bosnia but I'm currently living in China so Rachel Holskin e-mailed me April 9th to ask for an address in the U.S. to send the FSB letter so I think that goes in line with what you all have been saying about April 15th. It sounds like those that have been accepted received big manila envelopes, does that mean that the whole "big envelope = yes and small envelope = no" still rings true?

So, what happened? Did you get the ETA in Bosnia?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...