Should I take the chemistry subject GRE for Chemistry PhD?

WebbsInferno

Hi!

Kind of a long story, I want to apply to a chemistry PhD program with a concentration in Forensic Science but I was a biology major/forensic science minor as an undergrad. I have research experience in organic chemistry because I got straight A's in ochem and my professor wanted me to work in his lab and he encouraged me to do a PhD at the time. It didn't "feel" right at the time if that makes any sense. Now, after being in my field for a year (2 at the the time I apply) I am more sure of my self as a scientist and have a better idea where I want to go with my career, and advancing my education is required. 

Anyway, since I was a bio major should I take the Chemistry GRE subject test in addition to the regular one to show the admin people I am capable in chemistry? I also just got through taking biochem now as a non matriculated student at a major college in my area. Online for the requirements it just says "competitive GRE scores" so I'm assuming thats the regular one. Also any advice about getting your Phd is much appreciated. thanks!

I think that, for people who transition from another field to chemistry, the chemistry GRE will be more important than for those who majored in chemistry or biochemistry.

Oh, also, if it is suggested that I take the Chem GRE how should I go about studying? For Chemistry classes I have 1 year gen chem, 1 year Ochem, Analytical chemistry, forensic chemistry and biochem. No P-chem or inorganic. 

The best ways to prep for the subject exams is to comprehensively review the undergrad textbooks in all the foundational areas: general, analytical, organic, biochem, physical & quantum chem, inorganic. If you have pretty good textbooks for the classes you already took, the following are some of the books I used during my undergrad:

Physical Chemistry:

- Atkins (8th Edition) - generally ok reference

- Levine (6th Edition) - good

Quantum:

- Lowe (3rd Edition) - I found it to be helpful but I found it hard to track down really good quantum books

Inorganic Chemistry:

- Miesslerr (3rd Edition) - I found it to be ok but with the same limitations as the quantum books

Hope this gives you a good starting place. Also I would begin studying since the subject exams are only given three times a year (the next time being September and October) and they tend to be tough exams.