How important is a visit?

I was wondering how important is visiting the school before you apply. I'm obviously going to do it but I just wanted to hear feedback from others. I read somewhere on here that one guy was sure he got in because he visited first and they were able to put a name with a face so to speak. What types of things should I ask? Who should I even go see? The potential PI, the faculty? This is all new to me so ima be asking a bunch of questions  :) thanks y'all 

I agree that it's not worth visiting before you apply. You'll end up spending a lot of money and if the school is interested in you then they will pay for you to visit after you apply. If you want more information on schools or professors then you can definitely reach out to the schools, profs and students to ask questions before you apply.

The majority of students that visit our program before they apply do not end up getting an offer. Whether they decided to not apply or whether they got rejected is never certain, but my experience agrees with what others have posted above--it's not worth your money to plan such a visit.

I will go on the opposite and say that if the institute is close to you and you got a couple of hours - you might as well visit. I did that for 2 of the programs that were within 1 hr of my institute and it helped give me a better sense of the programs environment. 

I will go on the opposite and say that if the institute is close to you and you got a couple of hours - you might as well visit. I did that for 2 of the programs that were within 1 hr of my institute and it helped give me a better sense of the programs environment. 

Also, if you live somewhat nearby and have access to a car, it could be a good idea to check out the city (and the campus). You want to know where you're going to be living for the next 5+ years. I wouldn't hop on a plane across the country to do that before being accepted though.

Indeed, if you happen to be in the area or if you are going to be able to get there without a lot of time or expense then visiting is fine. I think most people here are just advising against paying for an entire trip or taking a lot of time away from work or other obligations because it's not worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

From a sample of 1, I'd say it's not necessary, although one of my professors told me that in an ideal world, I should visit before applying. I was not able to do so because no money. Instead, I wrote to professors of interest and skyped with some of them. Not visiting does not seem to have hurt my results: admitted in 5/10, including top schools which I did not visit or talk to on skype (but did write an email). If I had the money, I would have preferred visiting just because it's fun - although it probably would have been stressful too.

If you decide to visit, imo it's best to make it coincide with a public lecture, during which you can ask clever questions and then mingle at a moment when faculty intended to do so anyway. If you decide to spend some time with specific people and have them show you their facilities, you should get a referral from a prof at the school you're at or it might seem as a burden. Consult with your profs and maybe one of the profs at the other school is their friend (or enemy, in which case seriously do not go). Consider sitting on a graduate seminar, if you're permitted.

Edited by random_grad

• 2 months later...

I would not attend a university if I'd at least not visited once, but that's just me. Visiting not only gives you a feel for the people and department, but for the environment of the school and the area you'd be living in. Think about it: if you're an MA student, you're going to be living there for two years, and if you're a PhD student, you're going to be there for anywhere from 4-7 years. These sort of logistics are important to take into consideration given the day-to-day living aspect.

I only got accepted into one of the three programs I applied to (fortunately the one I got into was my dream one), and I flew out to New York to visit the campus before making my decision. I missed the open house for prospective grad students, but was able to meet with a PhD student there who gave me an independent tour, described work and TA opportunities, where to live, what the courses are like, and the general feel of the department there. Unfortunately it was on a Friday so there weren't many people on campus, but I got to meet two PhD students who were very nice. 

As far as visiting before applying goes, I see no point. Once you've been accepted, then it's worth the time and expenses to visit.