An average guy's GRE journey to 332

goal2016

Yes,mostly i get stuck between 2 last options in RCs. same applies to a great extent in sentence equivalence and text completion type of questions too

Gre will do this more and more often in high difficulty level questions..so be prepared for such type of questions

• 2 weeks later...

Gre will do this more and more often in high difficulty level questions..so be prepared for such type of questions

You're right.. I especially face difficulty in those reading comprehension questions where more than one option is right ..i mean multiple options can be right..becomes even more difficult

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2015, 10:32:47, lamb said:

You're right.. I especially face difficulty in those reading comprehension questions where more than one option is right ..i mean multiple options can be right..becomes even more difficult

Use PoE(Process of Elimination) to tackle such questions. You may not know which answer is right but you can eliminate which answer is wrong. That's the way to go

On 10/14/2015, 10:32:47, lamb said:

Use PoE(Process of elimination) while attempting such type of questions..figure out the answers that you think are definitely wrong and then eliminate them. That really works

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2015 at 3:43 PM, avenger11 said:

Use PoE(Process of elimination) while attempting such type of questions..figure out the answers that you think are definitely wrong and then eliminate them. That really works

Improved a bit using this strategy. Earlier my accuracy was 60%. Now it is 80%. Hope to take it to 90%

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2015 at 5:33 PM, lamb said:

Improved a bit using this strategy. Earlier my accuracy was 60%. Now it is 80%. Hope to take it to 90%

All the best. Hope to hear about your success journey soon. Do post when you are done with your gre

Gre question: Which score should I report???

Most of my programs allow you to report two scores but the UCSB M.ED asks you to report only one score! The problem is I don't know which score would be considered "better" for this program. 

1) V: 167 (97%) Q 151 (45%) AW 5 (93%)

2) V: 167 (97%) Q 155 (60%) AW 4 (56%)

The first time I took the test I scored above 90th percentile in both writing and verbal, but below the 50th percentile in math. The 2nd time I improved my quant score significantly but messed up the essay so my scores in both are middling. My program is not really a math heavy program (social and cultural studies in education) but I'm worried that a below 50% could look really bad, on the other hand the first set of scores might make more of an impression because of the two sections above 90th percentile. What do folks think? Which score should I report?

Thanks!

Edited by PersonPeople

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2016 at 4:21 PM, PersonPeople said:

Gre question: Which score should I report???

Most of my programs allow you to report two scores but the UCSB M.ED asks you to report only one score! The problem is I don't know which score would be considered "better" for this program. 

1) V: 167 (97%) Q 151 (45%) AW 5 (93%)

2) V: 167 (97%) Q 155 (60%) AW 4 (56%)

The first time I took the test I scored above 90th percentile in both writing and verbal, but below the 50th percentile in math. The 2nd time I improved my quant score significantly but messed up the essay so my scores in both are middling. My program is not really a math heavy program (social and cultural studies in education) but I'm worried that a below 50% could look really bad, on the other hand the first set of scores might make more of an impression because of the two sections above 90th percentile. What do folks think? Which score should I report?

Thanks!

Ignore AWA score. Schools dont pay much attention to AWA. Your quant and verbal scores are what really count. Since you have a higher quant score in the second score, go for that. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2016 at 0:21 PM, PassEdge said:

Congratulations! I think a lot of your practice went into studying vocab and reading comprehension, which is a focus area for many. Do you mind going into detail about which resources you used for both vocab and reading practice?

I think the best way to learn vocab is to learn new words through a wordlist and then read high quality newspapers and magazines which have high editorial standards. You are most likely to come across the words that you learn in these editorials. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2016 at 0:14 PM, avenger11 said:

I think the best way to learn vocab is to learn new words through a wordlist and then read high quality newspapers and magazines which have high editorial standards. You are most likely to come across the words that you learn in these editorials. 

Yes..some people say that learning from a wordlist is boring but I say that it's the most efficient way to learn words. Augment learning from worldlist with reading high quality newspapers, and you should be in good shape as far as vocab is concerned. Goes without saying that this takes almost 3-4 months

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/1/2016 at 11:43 PM, anuma said:

How much time did you devote for GRE Prep everyday? Could you share that?

Hi..There are two things here. Firstly, you should devote 2-3 hours per day over 3-4 months. But I believe where people lack is consistency. Doing prep over a sustained period of time is not easy. Consistency is super important