I'm a foreign chemistry student

straumle

Hi everyone :)

I'm currently studying chemistry at the University of Basel in Switzerland. In more or less two years I'll hopefully get my master's degree and afterwards I want to make a Ph.D.

I would like to do my Ph.D. in the US, as this is highly recommended at our university. But as i don't know how your system works and the internet confuses me, I'm here and I hope you guys can help me a little :)

I hope this is the right place to post these questions.

I already learned the difference between a college and an university. I also understood that it is possible for foreign students to apply at any school I want (which does not mean that I get a place there...)

But I have more questions...

1) In Switzerland, of you want to do your Ph.D., you write an email to the professor and ask him if he has work for you. If he accepts you, you work for him during the entire Ph.D. You also get paid from him and you have nothing to do but work (so no lectures or something like this). 

I heard that in the US, this is different. You have to apply to a program of the school and you can go to different professors?! And do you also get paid?

2) I want to specialize in the field of physical or theoretical chemistry. What, in your opinion, is the best institution to do so?

3) Is it difficult to get into a good program (like on at MIT for example)? Do I have to be like on of the best students at my university to have a chance? Or do they also value your application (so your motivation essay etc.)?

4) There are many test I would have to do before applying, like the GRE and as a foreign student the TOEFL. When do I have to get started with these things, that it is not too late but also not too early (as the GRE test mustn't be taken a long time ago)? Is one year ahead ok?

5) You all post that you are going to visit the campus. For me it is a little bit far away, but do have a chance, do I have to visit the campus?

6) Would you recommend to apply to several schools so that I can decide at the end, or should I just apply to the one I want to go?

Uhm, yes. These are the starting questions :) I would be really thankful for helpful answers!

Best wishes,

straumle

Hi Cookie, I'm sorry but my inbox is empty... 

Edit: Now there's a message :) thanks

Edited by straumle

Hi everyone :)

I'm currently studying chemistry at the University of Basel in Switzerland. In more or less two years I'll hopefully get my master's degree and afterwards I want to make a Ph.D.

I would like to do my Ph.D. in the US, as this is highly recommended at our university. But as i don't know how your system works and the internet confuses me, I'm here and I hope you guys can help me a little :)

I hope this is the right place to post these questions.

I already learned the difference between a college and an university. I also understood that it is possible for foreign students to apply at any school I want (which does not mean that I get a place there...)

But I have more questions...

1) In Switzerland, of you want to do your Ph.D., you write an email to the professor and ask him if he has work for you. If he accepts you, you work for him during the entire Ph.D. You also get paid from him and you have nothing to do but work (so no lectures or something like this). 

I heard that in the US, this is different. You have to apply to a program of the school and you can go to different professors?! And do you also get paid?

2) I want to specialize in the field of physical or theoretical chemistry. What, in your opinion, is the best institution to do so?

3) Is it difficult to get into a good program (like on at MIT for example)? Do I have to be like on of the best students at my university to have a chance? Or do they also value your application (so your motivation essay etc.)?

4) There are many test I would have to do before applying, like the GRE and as a foreign student the TOEFL. When do I have to get started with these things, that it is not too late but also not too early (as the GRE test mustn't be taken a long time ago)? Is one year ahead ok?

5) You all post that you are going to visit the campus. For me it is a little bit far away, but do have a chance, do I have to visit the campus?

6) Would you recommend to apply to several schools so that I can decide at the end, or should I just apply to the one I want to go?

Uhm, yes. These are the starting questions :) I would be really thankful for helpful answers!

Best wishes,

straumle

1. In most US universities, contacting a professor is not required to be admitted. It may or may not influence your chances to be admitted. But you want to make sure that once you're admitted, your faculty of interest will accept you. So, contacting professor is a good idea. And yes, you get paid through TA or RA.

2. No comment. I don;t know

3. Getting into top program is difficult. The competition is fierce, especially for international student. Your recommendation letters and personal statement are the most important factor in convincing the school to accept you. But let;s be realistic, the admission committee do not have time to read all applicants' essays, so there must be some cutoff criteria to weed out the less competitive ones, and that's your GPA. Besides GPA, they would also seek 90% percentile score for GRE and GREchem (for international student). Having several publications will boost your competitiveness a lot. 

4. GRE test score is valid for 5 years and you may take the test several times a year, so the earlier the better.

5. Usually international students (except for Canada) will not be offer the opportunity to visit the campus, It is not required, but if you want to make the visitation, it is at your own expense. 

6. You might want to apply to several schools. Considering you're international students, I suggest you apply to 10 schools, or more, if you're not confident with your scores. I personally applied to 15 schools because my GPA and GRE score is quite low for international student standard. In the end I was accepted into 5 schools. Not the best schools, but certainly better than any schools in my country.

Edited by Maxtini

Hi Maxtini

Thanks for your answers. They helped a lot :)

Can I ask you where you are from? From Europe too?

How do you estimate the chances when I have no publications? (In Switzerland you do not publish before your Ph.D.)

Best wishes,

straumle

No~ I'm from Asia.

I can't give you estimate, nobody knows for sure. But I know a lot of my friends who got accepted without publication.
Publication is just supplementary. As long as you can show the admission committee you've adequate research experience (Master thesis, research statement), I won't think it will hamper your chance a lot.

There is still one or two years, I'm sure you'll get one during your master studies when you're doing your research. It doesn't need to be first author, being second, third, fourth, or n-th will be good. 

• 1 month later...

A few comments:

I got into several top programs with a European BSc and no publications. I don't think it's true that you need 90+ percentiles on your GREs as some claim. What matters is the overall quality of your application; if you have no major flaws (in comparison with other top students) and a couple of really strong points I think you should stand a chance.

Regarding visiting weekends: all schools I was accepted to offered the same travel package for me as for American students, consisting of a $250-450 maximum reimbursement depending on school. In my case three schools shared my travel expenses, which was enough to cover the whole trip.

You can message me for more information, and in particular I might have some advice on how to build a strong case during the coming year or two.

Edited by Svann