Should I tell my employer I'm going to grad school?

I've started a temp-to-perm job, where my employers signed me for 2 months as a freelancer, to "test me out" before hiring me as a full-time employee. After working for a few weeks, I've passed the probationary period and my employers said that at the end of the week, we would chat about how things are going, and they'll be extending an offer for full-time work.

While I'm happy to work for the rest of my 2 months, I'll be declining the full-time offer, in favor of going to grad school. I've looked around, and many people advise wait to only give a 2 week notice period, in case the employer decides to cut ties early. But should I go ahead and let them know what's going on before they extend me the full-time offer?

I am a little worried they will break the 2-month contract early, since office gossip says they've done this in the past with others (but for performance reasons). I'd also like to ask them about possibilities for part time or remote work.

You really are in a tough spot...but an enviable one. Ordinarily, I'd say honesty is the best policy, but in your case that may work to your disadvantage. If you really want and need to work at this job until you go off to graduate school I would provide the two weeks notice. However, instead of saying you're going to graduate school, tell them you've accepted another offer of employment (this is where your storytelling skills would come into play). Telling them you were already set on going to graduate school will likely make them upset with you since they probably would've never hired you in the first place had they known your plans.

Take this from someone who tried to get full-time professional work, but foolishly mentioned the potential departure for graduate school in his interviews....

Honesty is not the best policy. The modern relationship with your employer is that you will show up and do the job, and they will pay you money for showing up and doing the job. You don't owe them anything else, and you owe it to yourself to be financially solvent until you go to school.

Edited by telkanuru

But should I go ahead and let them know what's going on before they extend me the full-time offer?

While telkanuru's point has merit, I'm going to disagree and suggest that you let them know.

The bosses may be lining up projects and tasks based upon the assumption that you'll be part of the team for a while. By disclosing your intentions, you will enable them to find and to train someone else with as much time as possible.

Management may not appreciate such an accommodation on your part. Indeed, they may ask you to walk on the spot. However,it is likely one or more of your coworkers will. 

Edited by Sigaba

Considering that you have not worked for this company very long, the likelihood that they will go out of their way to accommodate your situation (that is, keeping you on staff for the duration of time that _you_ need) is slim. If I were in your situation, I would wait 'til the end to give the 2-week notice. The only things that might entice me to consider otherwise are:

a. The employer is a really nice, genuine person, whom you don't want to hurt,

b. You will be in touch with this industry later on,

c. There is a likelihood that word of your grad school acceptance has already leaked,

d. You can survive if you loose the job,

e. To continue you would need to sign a binding contract.

Otherwise, imo employer-employee relationships are more often exploitative then not, therefore I would exercise my legal right for a 2-week notice without hesitation.

Edited by random_grad

If I was in your shoes, I would be personally very uncomfortable having a direct discussion with my employer and saying things that indicate I will continue on as a permanent full time employee when I know I will be leaving in a very short time (2 months). However, I want to be clear that I completely agree that you have all the right to only give 2 weeks notice and that I am not "judging" you (not that you should care what I think). I only mention this because I think you should also consider what you're personally okay with doing as well as what you're legally able to do and make sure that's it's okay with you. 

When I was in between college and grad school, I didn't need the extra 2 months of income to help support myself (Canadian schools were cheap enough that working in the summers paid for all of my costs) so I would have the privilege of doing what was "comfortable" to me. However, if I needed the income from those two months, I would agree with random_grad and I would do everything I can to ensure I had the necessary income.

Note: I've given the opposite advice (don't tell the employer) in the past before on these forums. I just wanted to point out this case is different (in my opinion) because: 

1. You are about to have a conversation that is directly about your future with this employer.

2. You are at a point where you know for certain that you are leaving in 2 months for grad school. A lot of other threads in these forum were scenarios like "I am applying for grad school, when do I tell my employer" or "Should I tell them in an interview that I am currently applying for schools".

Finally, there's a lot of unknown information here. What kind of job is it? Is it a profession/field you would want to continue later? Do you need a reference from them in the future? How difficult would it be to replace you? (I'm not saying you have to provide this information here, but just that these are things I would consider in the decision as well).

I'd say it depends on how much you need this job. If you're unsure that you could find a similar temporary job until you start school, and you are relying on the income, I'd play it safe and not tell them until the 2 weeks notice (and not tell them that you're leaving for grad school at that point, just say you're leaving for personal reasons or something). If you don't particularly need the money or you feel very confident that you could find another temp job, by all means tell them with the knowledge that they may choose to move onto another employee with more long term potential.  

A long time ago, when I was much younger, I was in a similar situation. Because I absolutely needed to continue working and earning money, I only gave 2 weeks notice and said that I was on a wait list for school and just found out I had been offered a spot.

This is a moral decision that will be influenced by your financial standing. If you have the luxury of not working for 2 months and being able to pay all of your bills and living expenses then you can decide from a moral standpoint. If you absolutely must work to pay for food, rent,  debt, et cetera, then either you can find another temp job or give them two weeks notice, imo.  

Honesty is not the best policy. The modern relationship with your employer is that you will show up and do the job, and they will pay you money for showing up and doing the job. You don't owe them anything else, and you owe it to yourself to be financially solvent until you go to school.

Absolutely this. I know of too many cases where companies will knowingly screw over employees (including moving people across the country with full intent of laying them off) to be concerned for their wellbeing. Companies look out for their interests, not yours. You have to look out for your own and not theirs. That is how the game is played.

I am dependent on my income up until the very end, so I am inclined to tell my employer that I am quitting later rather than sooner.  Question is, which explanation is less likely to burn bridges--saying I'm leaving for a PhD or saying I'm leaving for personal reasons?

I can't think of a good reason to hide the fact that you are going to a PhD program. However, if there is a good reason, then say what you need to say to protect yourself. I'm curious to hear why an employer might be unhappy if the reason you leave is for a PhD program though.

I can't think of a good reason to hide the fact that you are going to a PhD program. However, if there is a good reason, then say what you need to say to protect yourself. I'm curious to hear why an employer might be unhappy if the reason you leave is for a PhD program though.

Well here's the thing: I only started in January.  My partner and I moved across the country at the end of the year so he could be closer to family, so I applied to jobs in order to support myself.  At the time, I did not know if I was 100% certain that I was ready to do PhD, let alone that I would get into any of the 3 programs to which I applied.  Needless to say, it turns out I was accepted somewhere and I couldn't be more excited about starting.   During the application process, I purposely did not disclose that I had applied to three PhD programs knowing that if I had, I probably wouldn't have been offered the job (I did mention I was interested about doing a PhD sometime in the future, but still).  I could see how they might feel burned by me not having disclosed that.        

Well here's the thing: I only started in January.  My partner and I moved across the country at the end of the year so he could be closer to family, so I applied to jobs in order to support myself.  At the time, I did not know if I was 100% certain that I was ready to do PhD, let alone that I would get into any of the 3 programs to which I applied.  Needless to say, it turns out I was accepted somewhere and I couldn't be more excited about starting.   During the application process, I purposely did not disclose that I had applied to three PhD programs knowing that if I had, I probably wouldn't have been offered the job (I did mention I was interested about doing a PhD sometime in the future, but still).  I could see how they might feel burned by me not having disclosed that.        

Would they necessarily know that you applied to PhD programs while also applying to jobs? Also, employers should understand that while you are an applicant, nothing is certain, and it's not like you applied to the job knowing that you were accepted in a PhD program. Of course, I know there could be a big difference between what an employer "should" do and what they might actually do, so I understand the dilemma. 

With this in mind, my answer to your question is that it is still better to say you are leaving for a PhD program. I think if you say "personal reasons", they can think up a lot of other much worse scenarios. But while they might not be very happy that you are leaving them, at least going for a PhD program is not something that will directly hurt them (as compared to going to work for a competitor) and it's "admirable" since you are doing something that will better yourself. But that's just my opinion :)

Would they necessarily know that you applied to PhD programs while also applying to jobs? Also, employers should understand that while you are an applicant, nothing is certain, and it's not like you applied to the job knowing that you were accepted in a PhD program. Of course, I know there could be a big difference between what an employer "should" do and what they might actually do, so I understand the dilemma. 

With this in mind, my answer to your question is that it is still better to say you are leaving for a PhD program. I think if you say "personal reasons", they can think up a lot of other much worse scenarios. But while they might not be very happy that you are leaving them, at least going for a PhD program is not something that will directly hurt them (as compared to going to work for a competitor) and it's "admirable" since you are doing something that will better yourself. But that's just my opinion :)

This seems sensible and is what I'll most likely do.  Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.  :)

Edited by kgbfan

Like yourself, I was applying for jobs this winter and I was never too eager to tell HR that I applied for PhD. I had to disclose that once when a high ranking manager asked me directly (the next question was: what in a job would make you consider not doing a PhD and it was hard to not tell "nothing would" to his face. I basically described a tenure track job. Needless to say, I did not get the job at that company.). Otherwise I considered (and still do) that it was not your responsibility to disclose the then hypothetical PhD scenario. They emplyer might be annoyed that you did not tell them about the decision at the time of signing he new contract now, but definitely not about not disclosing in January. The hiring process is a game and it s their problem they were not smart enough to ask the right question.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a temp employee when I applied to Master's programs and needed every penny of that money right up until school started.  When my employer mentioned bringing me on full time as a permanent employee I felt it was best not to say anything about my school plans until I decided what I wanted to do.  I was going to work through my program, but would still need a little schedule accommodation that I knew the company would not provide.  I put my energy into landing a temp assignment that was more flexible with the hours (although I didn't tell them about my school plans either) and I gave the other assignment one weeks notice and declined the full time offer stating I wanted to pursue other opportunities.  They could interpret that as another job or returning to school or whatever, but I did not burn any bridges and have had no trouble using them as a reference when needed.

I can't say that this would be the right choice for others, but it certainly was the right choice for me.  My bills were paid, I had food to eat, and I didn't have to choose between the need to support myself and advancing myself academically.  I have seen plenty of temps let go without notice because they wanted to return to school, had child care issues, needed flexibility to care for a parent, etc.  What I took away from that is that many (I can't say all) employers only care about the needs of the company and have no problem letting an employee go instantly if they don't fit in their future plans.  I completely understand that, but felt that I should value myself similarly.  If I didn't look out for my own needs and plan my transitions accordingly no one else was going to.

Now I am in a full time permanent job using the Master's degree I worked so hard to earn.  I have said nothing to management about my plans to apply for PhD programs this fall and I will not.  If I don't get in I can stay at this job and reapply next year.  If I do get in then I will give them 2 weeks notice stating that I am leaving to pursue other opportunities and they can interpret that however they wish.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my recommendations from my supervisor and my immediate reporting manager also knew I would probably leave. They were cool with it. I'd told them from the day I started preparing for the applications.

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow up: I took the full time offer, and then waited to give 2 weeks notice. I was glad to have waited, since I've been able to build relationships with my coworkers and a good work rep, so when it came time to talk to my managers, they were very kind and supportive about the whole thing. The income wasn't a huge factor for me, but I have learned a lot in the past few months and ultimately, the experience was a good one.

Thanks for all the advice :)

• 1 year later...

Reviving this topic--

I'm starting to receive acceptances (yay!), but am now having to deal with the, "When do I tell my employer?" question. I work full-time in the field related to my doctorate (higher education), but I will not be continuing my job through grad school. I'm still deciding when I will stop working before beginning my program, but I want to be well-prepared when I do share my news. No one knows that I've applied to doctoral programs at all. Is it better to share earlier on (i.e. now), even if I'm not planning to leave until May/June? Or should I wait until decision day/April 15?

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

I think it depends on the organization, your relationship with your supervisors, and your position. I have a position that is heavily relied upon in my non-profit organization(and the only person that does what I do). I didn't outright tell my boss that I was leaving for graduate school, but asked her to write me a letter of recommendation, and as such the word got around quicker than I would have told them (ie almost 6 months before I plan to leave).

Given that it's a non-profit, they've all been super supportive and understanding, and I have a great relationship with my supervisors. Due to the nature of my position and how difficult it was to hire me, we've started on the hiring process even though I won't be leaving until the summer (which I made adamantly clear and so did they in the job posting). I definitely would have told them sooner (ie not with two weeks notice) anyways because there is no way to higher someone to do my job in 2 weeks, and it's simply not possibly to not have this position filled. This is not the norm I would say, but those three factors are important. You definitely do not have to share now, and a month or two notice is plenty of time and super considerate (as it gives them the chance to go through the hiring process to have your replacement before you leave).

I'm wondering when to break the news, too...

I was accepted into a doctoral program for fall. When I interviewed for the full-time job I have now (which is boring but pays quite well and has great benefits-- one must wonder why I'm leaving it...), I did mention that I was thinking of applying to PhD programs. Three months later, I applied to a few programs, assuming I would be rejected from all of them. I was pretty astonished to find out I've been accepted to my first choice. 

I haven't told a soul at work, and I don't know if I should wait until the official acceptance deadline passes (April 15th), or if I should let them know sooner (I'd rather not, since I'm on probation and don't have union protection until May), or if I should let them know much later. The hiring process here is excruciatingly slow, so it would be awful of me to give them only 2 weeks notice. Even a month's notice would probably not be enough time to hire someone into my position.

What are people's thoughts on this? 

The earlier the better, obviously, but since it's not for another six months or so, I don't see why you can't sit on it for another month or two, at the very least until you've officially accepted, you know the financing will absolutely work out, etc.

I had the same job interview this week...they really wanted a one-year committment and I told them I had applied but was really, really unoptimistic, so then there was a long back and forth with the guy interviewing me where he said a lot of things like 'well, officially, it's very important, of course....who knows, things come up in life...just saying, maybe no one else needs to know right now...particularly when you fill out the forms...'. It took me longer than it should have to stop earnestly and unapologetically going that I had applied and wanted to be very honest with them.

I have been in a temp to perm position that I quit for graduate school. They don't care if you wait till two weeks. They could easily dispense of you as you are a temp. There is a lot turnover in those positions anyway.

Edited by BSB825

On 2/2/2017 at 1:21 PM, higheredbee said:

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, Skyride Season said:

What are people's thoughts on this? 

MOO, you two should kick around the following questions.

• Will you be let go upon disclosing your decision?
  • How difficult will it be for your coworkers (if not also your bosses) to replace you? Are clients/customers going to get jammed up?
  • Will you be burning any personal/professional bridges by delaying your disclosure to just the standard two weeks? (This ranges from people who might write letters of recommendation for you for what ever reason down the line to people you'll never see again.)
  • Were you in the position of your bosses and coworkers, how would you like a team mate to disclose a decision to leave?

Here's the thing. As a graduate student, you're going to get screwed over several times in the coming years. Sometimes it will be a person deliberately fucking you over for the fun of it. Sometimes it will be a mistake. Sometimes it will be someone not giving a shit. Pie in the sky, most of these moments will roll off like water on a duck's back.

Sometimes these moments are, in fact, going to amount to betrayals and they are going to impact your sense of self in fundamental ways. (There are many threads on this BB narrating such betrayals.) During these moments when you're going to need stand-up people who know you to stand up for you, especially professors, if not also administrators/staff members, and fellow graduate students. This support can range from a hand up, to a talk over a cup of coffee, to a professor going to bat for you in a very big way.

If you have a habit of putting yourself before others and/or of viewing interpersonal relationships as a means to an end, the kind of people you need to support you may not be around to help you even if you're the most promising grad student a department has seen in a generation. 

To be clear, I am suggesting that you do what you need to protect yourself. If you work for a bunch of dillholes who will show you the door the moment you say you're leaving and you need the money, then say nothing until it's time to go. But otherwise... the best decision for you may not be the easiest to figure out.

Edited by Sigaba