All set for my new MSW life!

After applying to 7 programs (and accepted at 6), I finally decided to attend the U of South Carolina. I am just returning from an eight day trip to Columbia, and I am SO HAPPY with my decision. 

Everyone from the Dean on down has been extremely welcoming, receptive, and kind - really going out of their way to be helpful.

I'm interested in macro practice, and Columbia is a state capital, which I hope means opportunities for policy wok at some point. There is plenty to do in the area, and I rented an amazing little 3 bdrm house (cottage, really) in a great neighborhood, with a nice backyard and cool neighbors, for $700/month. 

Financial aid is all set and I have my field placement lined up for fall. Now, I just have to pack my stuff and head back to Columbia. I also learned that it is possible to do the degree from Charleston - apparently it's one of those things that students "figure out," but isn't mentioned anywhere. 

It's funny how this process has evolved (or at least for me it did). I started out feeling CONVINCED that I had to attend either U of KY or Case Western. However, I felt like a number with Case Western, which was a real turnoff. 

U of KY was friendlier, but there is simply no comparison to South Carolina. No, it's not a Top 10 - or even Top 50 - program, but I don't believe that matters in social work. I am impressed with the program, the university, and the faculty I met.

I hope you're all having positive experiences, too, as you move forward in this journey!

Hi! I am also attending USC Columbia this fall as well! I do have a question for you. Do you already know where you are doing your field placement at? I wasn't sure if they have already assign people their field placements yet. 

Thank you!

I was so disappointed with Case. I grew up in the Cleveland area, went to high school right across the street from there and KNOW how much money they get in donations and various other things for the year and yet, was only offered 25% off tuition...I was so crushed because the experience I had at the Open House was different than yours...I absolutely loved it. And this is coming from a person who NEVER wanted to go to Case cause I went their computer lab and library in high school every day...so disappointing.

But congrats on finding your school and field placement!!!!